none
Changing operating (not writing) language in MS Word 2007

Question

• Hi everyone,

I've recently installed MS Office 2007 on my laptop and only realized after I installed it that the program, menus, and shortcuts are all Italian (I got the program here in Italy). Though I'm fluent in Italian, I'm having a hard enough time adapting to the new version of Word without having to translate everything in my head. Not to mention how long it's going to take me to learn all the shortcuts (if I hit CTRL + A, instead of selecting all, it centers the paragraph...what sense does that make???)

If anyone knows how to change the operating language, I'd really appreciate some advice!!!

Thanks,

Julia

Friday, May 25, 2012 1:18 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

Change the user interface language for the Ribbon, menus, dialog boxes, and Help

1. Click Start, click All Programs, click Microsoft Office, click Microsoft Office Tools, and then click Microsoft Office 2007 Language Settings.
    2. Click the Display Language tab.
    3. Select the language that you want to use for the Ribbon, menus, and dialog boxes from the Display Microsoft Office menus and dialog boxes in list.
    4. Select the language that you want to use for Help from the Display Help in list.

More detailed information, see: "Enable the use of other languages in your Office programs "
    http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/access-help/enable-the-use-of-other-languages-in-your-office-programs-HA010243503.aspx?CTT=5&origin=HA010251787

Best regards.

William Zhou

TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by joulz1 Monday, May 28, 2012 8:55 AM
    Monday, May 28, 2012 7:42 AM
  • Thanks for your quick response William!

When I go to the Langauge Settings dialog I only see two tabs: Editing Language and a tab that lists copyright and licence information. After following the link you included in your post I found this extra bit of information:

NOTE   The Display Language tab is only visible after you install a Language Pack. If you purchased a Language Pack, make sure that it is installed following the instructions at Buy, install, configure or uninstall a Microsoft Office 2007 Language Pack. To purchase a language pack, see Buy an Office Language Pack.

Looks like I need to purchase a Language Pack before going any further.

Thanks for setting me down the right path!

Sincerely,

Julia

Monday, May 28, 2012 8:57 AM
  • When I went to buy a Language Pack I found the following helpful information:

1. Go to http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/language-packs/
    2. Select English from the Select a Language drop-down menu. The site loads the following information:
    • You may already have these [English] tools if you have Office 2010 in any language.
    • Changing the ScreenTip language will change the names of your ScreenTips – such as buttons, menus and dialogs – into another language by pointing to them with the mouse. Download it for free here.

Included is a link to a FREE ScreenTips download from the Microsoft.com website that should solve the problem. Yet, now it tells me I need to install Service Pack 2 before continuing...always one more step!

Julia

Monday, May 28, 2012 9:10 AM
  • Hi Julia,

Microsoft no longer offers Office 2007 Language packs for retail purchase as of July 2011.

Please note Office 2010 language packs will not work with versions of Office 2007.

If you wish to use English language in Office 2007, you can run setup.exe from Office 2007 Installation resource, and select Customize install check English language is available or not.You can select multiple language if it available in the list.

If the English language is not available, you may purchase/upgrade Office to the 2010 version.

Best regards.

William Zhou

Tuesday, May 29, 2012 2:24 AM
  • Hi Julia,

Microsoft no longer offers Office 2007 Language packs for retail purchase as of July 2011.

Please note Office 2010 language packs will not work with versions of Office 2007.

If you wish to use English language in Office 2007, you can run setup.exe from Office 2007 Installation resource, and select Customize install check English language is available or not.You can select multiple language if it available in the list.

If the English language is not available, you may purchase/upgrade Office to the 2010 version.

Best regards.

William Zhou

• Hi Julia,

Best regards.

William Zhou

• Before receiving your response I went ahead and downloaded SP1 on my way to SP2. But my computer crashed during installation and now won't start back up. It keeps stopping at the prompt:

!! Oxc01a001d !! 28685/98555 (\Registry\Machine\COMPONENTS\DerivedData...)

It gave me the option to restore my computer from the latest backup point (I'd backed it up just before clicking on the SP1 download) but it doesn't recognize my external hard drive. Now I guess I have to take it in for repair...

Thanks anyway for your help. I wish I would have waited for a response from you before downloading SP1!

Tuesday, May 29, 2012 9:01 AM