none
Monthly Backup Schedule RRS feed

• Question

• I have setup a monthly backup for last Saturday of the month and I have got a daily job as well at the same time.

I am not sure whether it would run both Jobs simultaneously or it would skip daily and carry on with Monthly job.

• Edited by Mo Yusuf Tuesday, May 13, 2014 11:13 AM
    Tuesday, May 13, 2014 11:11 AM

All replies

• Hi,

On the Customize recovery Goal page, you have options at the bottom on how to handle recovery goals that run on the same day.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, May 13, 2014 8:36 PM
  • I have got one more question for secondary DPM server. My Primary DPM has two jobs one File based short term and the other for whole VHD tape backup (including full disk backup). My secondary DPM only backs up DPM snapshots from Primary but I can not see File Based backup data from the secondary server nor I can add again. I have gone through few other suggestions but nothing seem to work. I have installed the Update Rollup 6 for System Center 2012 Service Pack 1.

Thursday, May 22, 2014 12:58 PM
  • Hi,

do you see the "protected Server" when browsing DPM1 on the DPM2?

if not, install Agent on both DPM Server and Point them to the other DPM Server

Seidl Michael | http://www.techguy.at | twitter.com/techguyat | facebook.com/techguyat

Thursday, May 22, 2014 2:53 PM
  • Agents have been installed and updated.
    Thursday, May 22, 2014 3:30 PM
  • do you see the "protected Server" when browsing DPM1 on the DPM2?

Seidl Michael | http://www.techguy.at | twitter.com/techguyat | facebook.com/techguyat

Thursday, May 22, 2014 3:32 PM
  • I can only see Primary DPM Server on the secondary server protection group. I tried to modify it still Primary DPM. Why does it not replicate the whole Primary DPM? That is the reason we invested in two server solution.
    Thursday, May 22, 2014 8:41 PM
  • Guys still waiting for a reply. Primary DPM has got 3 jobs inc file backup Secondary DPM only replicate full csv job. It does not replicate file backup and unable to restore file from Secondary DPM.
    Saturday, October 18, 2014 2:39 PM
  • Hi,

So the problem appears to be that there is no "protected servers" under  the primary dpm server icon.

We have seen that occur after a primary DPM Server rebuild or restore of older DPMDB - was that done in your case ?

If so - we have some sql scripts to help cleanup the primary DPM DB so that the secondary can enumerate the protected servers.  Please open a support case for assistance.  This is a known issue that is being investigated, so you should not get charged for the incident.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Saturday, October 18, 2014 3:04 PM
  • Hi Mike,

I tried to open a call with Microsoft but the advisor would not create one until I give her my credit card number or Software Assurance id which I do not have one.

Is there any other way I could get them to create?

Thanks,

• Edited by Mo Yusuf Monday, October 20, 2014 9:10 AM
    Saturday, October 18, 2014 6:31 PM
  • Hi,

Use the CC - it will not be charged when the case is closed as a code defect.

To verify it's the same issue I'm thinking - check the MSDPMCurr.errlog on the primary DPM Server after trying to enumerate it from the secondary dpm server.  Where The <GUID> is a unique guid.

No retry on exception System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException (0x80131904): Invalid object name '##<GUID>tmp_tbl_ProtectedPS'.

If you find the above entry - then it's definitely the same issue we're investigating and you will need to call in for assistance to fix it. 

Monday, October 20, 2014 5:51 PM
  • I only found one entry in the log.

2770 1DD0 05/20 16:36:14.559 09 Catalog.cs(1822) WARNING No retry on exception System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException (0x80131904): Cannot open database "DPMDB_backupcenterf95c5ea1_4adb_4f9a_9763_070670a1c46b" requested by the login. The login failed.

Tuesday, October 21, 2014 3:06 PM
  • Hi,

OK - seems to be a different cause for the error, in your case it's a SQL logon failure and not an invalid GUID.

I suggest you un-install the primary dpm agent from the secondary and re-install it so permissions are set correctly on the primary DPM servers SQL instance so the secondary can login.

Tuesday, October 21, 2014 4:02 PM
  • There is no primary DPM agent on the secondary but I can see secondary DPM agent on the primary DPM and unable to uninstall without removing all the jobs.
    Wednesday, October 22, 2014 8:22 PM
  • Hi,

<snip>
    There is no primary DPM agent on the secondary.
    >snip<

On the Secondary DPM Server, under Agents - do you see the primary DPM server listed ? If you want to protect the primary data sources, then you must install an agent.  If it is listed, then un-install it and re-install it from the secondary, then try to enumerate the primary DPM Server and see if protected servers is listed.

Wednesday, October 22, 2014 8:35 PM
  • It is not easy to uni stall from secondary DPM console unless I remove all protected groups. Or is there any more way you install it?
    Wednesday, October 22, 2014 9:08 PM
  • Hi,

If I understood your problem correctly - you could not secondarily protect any datasources on the primary DPM Server.  This means the only data source that can be protected are local primary DPM data sources which you should not have that many of.  You can stop protection of those local data sources, retain replica, then uninstall / reinstall agent, then reprotect them.  Hopefully after the agent is reinstalled the protected servers will be listed.  

Wednesday, October 22, 2014 9:58 PM
  • Hi ,

There are two PGs and one is protected on secondary but the second Group  does not show up in secondary DPM console. When I make changes to primary dpm PGs and it does not replicate those changes automatically.

Thursday, October 23, 2014 8:19 AM
  • Hi,

You can only select secondary protection at the data sources level, not the PG level, so any new data source added to PG om the orimary need to be added on the secondary manually.

Are you seeing "Protected servers" when enumerating the Primary DPM server from the secondary now ?  If not please follow my steps.

Thursday, October 23, 2014 11:35 AM