What should I use for my Job Title? RRS feed

• Question

• I know this is kind of a wierd question, but I'm trying to decide what my title should be.  I work for a small business that is rapidly growing.  It is actually a business owned by my family.  We have about 50 employees.  I have a degree in Computer Information Systems and hold several Microsoft and CompTIA certs including MCSA and some MCTS.  I am currently the Director of Operations for our company which is in manufacturing.  However, my role in the business is going to be transitioning into more of an IT based position as we are looking to hire several people to take on some of the daily responsibilities on the manufacturing end that I have been doing. (Estimating, Scheduling, Order Entry, Customer Relations, etc.)

Right now I am our IT department.  We are in the process of implementing a MS Exchange server and MS Dynamics CRM (on premise).  I am hiring someome to do help desk support and they will work under me.  We are also going to be hiring a webmaster who will be working under me as well.  My new role is transitioning into that of a CIO, but on a much smaller scale of course.  I will be doing the Network administration for now.  I am also going to become part owner in the company this year as well and I will be working directly with the CEO, and closely with the General Manager, and CFO .  So what the heck should I call myself? 

Nate

Thursday, March 22, 2012 2:59 PM

Answers

• I would suggest the following progression:

Director of Operations ->

Director of IT Operations ->

President of IT - >

CIO

• Proposed as answer by Bill - MCSE Friday, March 23, 2012 12:48 AM
    • Marked as answer by TacticalN8 Friday, March 23, 2012 10:06 AM
    Friday, March 23, 2012 12:48 AM

All replies

• I would suggest the following progression:

Director of Operations ->

Director of IT Operations ->

President of IT - >

CIO

• Proposed as answer by Bill - MCSE Friday, March 23, 2012 12:48 AM
    • Marked as answer by TacticalN8 Friday, March 23, 2012 10:06 AM
    Friday, March 23, 2012 12:48 AM
  • Thanks for your input Bill.  Makes sense to me.

Nate

Friday, March 23, 2012 10:06 AM
  • IT Manager/Information Technology Manager  (Since you have a direct report)

IT Director  (spin on Director of IT, obviously.)

Deputy Chief Information Technology Officer

Wednesday, April 18, 2012 4:40 PM