error 80040201 sending email, also outlook keeps saying i am working offline RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all

I have emails still in my outbox folder for many days.when i try send and receive i get this error

error 80040201

i also have noticed that outlook icon in the task bar has an X on it and in outlook it says "working offline"

however i can somehow receive emails and sending works if i reply to an email

the emails that i have autocomplete addresses doesn't work, also the ones i have typed in the email address of a new contact

i have tried advice from other threads to clear the autocomplete list, and have also looked for the nk2 file from here

"You can find NK2 file on this location on your machine: 

Windows Vista and later versions Drive:\Users\Username\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Outlook"

which doesn't seem to exist. as in there is no *.nk2 file in that folder

Monday, June 12, 2017 11:39 PM

All replies

• Hi,

It's a mojor problem if your Outlook gives 80040201 error while sending and recieving the emails. It appears due to incorrect setting in SMTP, enabling firewalls, virus scan program & oversized PST file. But, sometimes this error also corrupt the PST file. 
    Thus, for resolving the error 80040201 you should repair your Outlook(.pst) files in a better way. I would suggest you a SysTool Outlook Recovery tool to repair the damaged PST file quickly. 
    The primary cause of this 80040201 error is "corruption in NK2 file". So, you have to delete the NK2 file or delete the cached Outlook contacts.

Also, see this link which explains the same error message. http://www.outlookfilerecovery.com/unknown-error-0x80040201.html

And, in the Outlook icon, X means that your Outlook is in offline mode. If your Outlook is disconnected or shows Work Offline then you can't send or receive emails until you reconnect.
    For checking the Outlook settings, follow the below steps-

1) Open Outlook >> View bottom right corner of window to see if it shows "Connected" or "Working Offline"
    2) Then, Go to Outlook >> SEND/RECEIVE tab
    3) Check to see if the "Work Offline" option is highlighted. If it is, un-highlight the option by clicking on it

Thanks & Regards
    Kelvin Howard

Tuesday, June 13, 2017 5:25 AM
  • "You can find NK2 file on this location on your machine: 

Windows Vista and later versions Drive:\Users\Username\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Outlook"

which doesn't seem to exist. as in there is no *.nk2 file in that folder

Whether the .nk2 file existing depends on the version of Outlook you are using. Since Outlook 2010, Outlook does not use the .nk2 file for maintaining your nickname cache.

Which type of email account do you have? IMAP, POP3 or Exchange? 

Please first try creating a new send/receive group and then see if this issue continues. To do this, please follow:

1. Click File, and then click Options.
    2. Click the Advanced tab. 
    3. In the Find Send and Recieve section, click Send/Recieve.
    4. Under Group Name, click the group, and then click Copy.
    5. Under Send/Receive Group Name, type the new group name, and then click OK.
    6. Under Group Name, click the old group name.
    7. Under both When Outlook is Online and When Outlook is Offline, click to clear the check box for Include this group in Send/Receive (F9).
    8. Click Close.
    9. Quit Outlook, and then restart Outlook.

Have you tried setting up your email account in a new mail profile for testing? If not, please have a try with it. It will help determine whether this issue was caused due to corruption in profile.

Please let me know the result.

Regards,

Steve Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Steve Fan Monday, June 19, 2017 10:02 AM
    Tuesday, June 13, 2017 8:26 AM