none
Converting User Mailboxes to Shared Mailboxes

Question

• I have a load of user mailboxes that are shared and I want to convert them to Shared Mailboxes.  Aside from the Security benefit, does Exchange 2010 manage these accounts differently.  Someone has told me 2010 does but I am not so sure, interested to know.
    Friday, April 19, 2013 3:53 PM

Answers

All replies

• Friday, April 19, 2013 4:00 PM
  • Hi

You can user powershell set command for converting mailboxes.

Set-Mailbox Test -Type Shared

Differences:-

Shared Mailbox: A mailbox that's not primarily associated with a single user and is generally configured to allow logon access for multiple users.

User Mailbox: A mailbox that's assigned to an individual user in your Exchange organization. It typically contains messages, calendar items, contacts, tasks, documents, and other important business data.

Friday, April 19, 2013 4:11 PM
  • vino lists the command above which I have included again.  I would also create a domain local security group to assign permissions to the shared mailbox.  The account will be disabled once you change to shared so access will be limited to those with the permissions.  I would use the second command listed below to give permissions.

set-mailbox <name> -type shared

add-mailboxpermission <name> -user <groupname> -accessrights FullAccess

Jason Apt, Microsoft Certified Master | Exchange 2010 My Blog

Friday, April 19, 2013 8:30 PM
  • idenACC  - Any update on this post for us?

Jason Apt, Microsoft Certified Master | Exchange 2010 My Blog

Wednesday, April 24, 2013 3:01 PM
  • Anyone happen to know the PS command to convert a large number of mailboxes to shared?

Set-Mailbox -Database "name of db" -Type Shared still seems to require me to type in the name of every mailbox. I have over a 1000 to convert.

I know how to convert them individually I just have one mailbox database on this server dedicated to mailboxes that are shared. Now that we are migrating to cloud I want to convert them to shared.

Thanks

Wednesday, May 16, 2018 12:23 PM
  • Hi 

How big that mailbox size?  You can migrate to that mailbox to cloud and convert to Shared. 

Regards,

James Daniel

James Danie

Thursday, May 17, 2018 6:38 AM