SP2 or SP3 for App-V 5.0 Client, available via WSUS ? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, does anybody know if there is intention to release SP2/SP3 for 5.0 Client, via WU/MU/WSUS channels ?

It would save us a little packaging effort if available via WSUS -> ConfigMgr  :)

I could understand if it's not going to be available, since the pre-requisites etc might be tricky to do via WUAgent...

Don
    (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", where applicable.
    This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognises useful contributions. Thanks!)

Friday, January 30, 2015 6:05 AM

Answers

All replies

• I do not believe this will be made available over WSUS as this is a major release, there is also precautions you need to take in terms of the order of the rollout. Read more here; https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn858700.aspx#BKMK_migrate_to_50SP3

• Proposed as answer by Aaron.ParkerModerator Saturday, January 31, 2015 3:26 AM
    • Marked as answer by DonPick Saturday, January 31, 2015 3:26 AM
    Friday, January 30, 2015 4:17 PM
  • Thanks!

Don
    (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", where applicable.
    This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognises useful contributions. Thanks!)

Saturday, January 31, 2015 3:26 AM
  • Hi Don,

Did you come up with a strategy for this?  I am looking to update a large number of clients from SP1 to SP3 but you need to get the pre-reqs up to date first, so update to .net 4.5.1 (which is in WSUS) and PowerShell 3.0 (not in WSUS AFAIK)...

Tuesday, February 10, 2015 9:34 AM
  • I haven't yet cracked open the 5.0SP3 payload to see which (if any) of the pre-reqs might be in it (maybe only the VC++2013RT), but we'll probably set it all up as individual components, tied together as dependencies/requirements in an AppModel Deployment Type, so that 5.0SP3 will detect for pre-reqs and if absent pull those down.

I'm just not yet sure if there's restarts required between the steps - if so, probably can't stack those restarts.
    So it may take us a little time to deploy all that, let it soak and restart, then deploy the 5.0SP3 bits.

We're not in a crazy rush to get up to SP3 - there isn't any particular feature or fix we are desperately needing to have, so I have time to play, test and plan.

Don

Tuesday, February 10, 2015 9:51 AM
  • That is what I have done, both the .net and PowerShell updates need a reboot to complete and updating the App-V client also will kill any open App-V applications.  It is a bit of a tricky one to try and do in one hit unless you are able to continually force reboots upon users... 
    Tuesday, February 10, 2015 9:55 AM