No bootable device - Windows Vista RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there.

I've seen many posts with this question all over the internet, but I never got an answer, so I'm hoping someone here can help me.

I turned off my computer last night and it was fine, but this morning when I turned it on the following message appeared:

"Intel UNDI, PXE-2.1 (build 082)
    For Realtek RTL8101E/8102E PCI-E Ethernet Controller v1.07 (080320)
    PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable
    PXE-M0F: Exiting PXE ROM.
    No bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any key"

When I press F2 to go to Setup, it says 'None' regarding the hard drive. The booting settings show 'HDD' in the first place.

Can you help me? Do I really need to replace the hard drive? How did my pc stop recognizing the hard drive overnight?

Thank you very much.
    Wednesday, July 10, 2013 11:37 AM

All replies

• The "UNDI" message is an attempt to boot from a network, after the normal hard disk boot didn't work.  To check what's going on you need a new boot order, e.g., CD/DVD before hard disk, if you have a rescue CD.  The setup DVD would do, you can get on a command line in the "repair" options, and on that command line you can reconstruct the MBR code with bootrec.  That resets the first 440 bytes in the first sector.  This might help, and it won't make it worse.

But the problem could be also in the remaining 72 bytes of this sector, including the partition table.  If this table is completely destroyed, and you have no records how your partitions were arranged, and you also have no backup of the MBR (master boot record, first sector) it starts to get difficult.  A third party tool such as TestDisk could find your "lost" partitions and reconstruct the partition table.  For that you'd need another boot medium (CD or similar) with TestDisk

Maybe everything else is fine, and only the "boot flag" (one bit) in the partition table is missing, in that case you have to recall what your "active" partition was, and reactivate it (= set the boot flag.)  TestDisk, DskProbe, or a similar tool would allow you to do that.

If not only your first sector is damaged (for unknown reasons), but also the partitions, it might be a hopeless case, but maybe you can save some files with TestDisk.  Otherwise check the health of your hard disk, CrystalDiskInfo is a nice tool for this purpose.   

Wednesday, July 10, 2013 4:41 PM
  • Oi Los Angeles.

Tenho Visto muitos mensagens com ESTA Questão POR Toda a internet, mas eu Nunca recebi UMA RESPOSTA, POR ISSO ESTOU Esperando Opaco Alguem Aqui PODE me ajudar.

Eu desliguei o Meu computador Ontem à Noite e elemento estava Bem, mas Hoje de Manhã QUANDO eu liguei a seguinte MENSAGEM apareceu:

"Intel UNDI, PXE-2.1 (build 082)
    Pará Realtek RTL8101E/8102E PCI-E Ethernet Controller v1.07 (080320)
    PXE-E61: Falha no teste de Mídia, verifique cabo
    PXE-M0F :. Saindo PXE ROM
    Nenhum Dispositivo DE ARRANQUE - insira o disco de inicialização e pressione QUALQUÉR Tecla "

. Ao pressionar F2 par ir par a configuracao, Diz ele 'Nenhum' em Relação AO Disco rígido como configurações de inicialização mostrar 'HDD' em Primeiro Lugar.

Você. PODE me ajudar? Eu Realmente Preciso de para substituir o disco rigido? Como E Que O Meu pc Parar de reconhecer o disco rigido Durante a Noite?

Muito Obrigado.

Sunday, April 6, 2014 11:33 PM
  • You say that:

"When I press F2 to go to Setup, it says 'None' regarding the hard drive. The booting settings show 'HDD' in the first place"

By that statement, it looks like the BIOS isn't even seeing the HDD.  I would double check all the physical connections, maybe even try a different SATA port. 

If the HDD still doesn't recognize in the BIOS, then your HDD is probably bad.  I have seen this happen may times.  After a shutdown or a reboot the HDD just doesn't want to spin up again or sometimes the controller is having difficulties.

With the hard drive plugged in, can you feel if it is spinning?

Sunday, April 6, 2014 11:45 PM