Remote Desktop Services removed RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I'm looking at the transition from Office 365 Midsize business to Office 365 Business Premium.

https://products.office.com/en-us/business/moving-to-the-new-office-365-plans-for-small-and-midsized-businesses?legRedir=true&CorrelationId=207c583b-741e-4af5-8fd7-5acc8fa9ac4d

One service that is listed as beeing removed is Remote desktop services.

What exactly is removed here?

I can't publish Office 2016 ProPlus (click to run installed) applications through Windows 2012 Remote Desktop Services role since that would let me circumvent CALS? 

Anything else?

Sunday, March 20, 2016 5:22 PM

Answers

• I can only think that "RDS" refers to Shared Computer Activation, since there are no RDS features in Office at all.
    SCA is a feature of ProPlus, and ProPlus isn't offered with the small plans - instead, it is some other form of Office C2R, it doesn't include Access, it doesn't include the Group Policy manageability, doesn't have SCA, etc.

If you need SCA, GP, PowerBI, etc - then you should buy E3 seats for that, or something which gives you ProPlus.

EDIT: O365Midsize included ProPlus. The new plans don't include ProPlus, they instead offer a different product:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/kb/2842297

Don [doesn't work for MSFT, and they're probably glad about that ;]

Sunday, March 20, 2016 8:41 PM
  • Hi,

It means Remote Desktop Services and shared computer support is removed from Office 365 Business Premium plan. You will not be able to deploy Office 365 ProPlus to a Windows Server with the RDS role enabled in your organization that is accessed by multiple users.

If you need to keep Remote Desktop Services, you should renew to "Business Essentials" and then add "Office 365 ProPlus". This gives you the same feature functionality as you had in the previous SMB plan.

Alternatively, you can look at E3 but this one is relatively more expensive.

Regards,

Ethan Hua

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Monday, March 21, 2016 2:18 AM

All replies

• I can only think that "RDS" refers to Shared Computer Activation, since there are no RDS features in Office at all.
    SCA is a feature of ProPlus, and ProPlus isn't offered with the small plans - instead, it is some other form of Office C2R, it doesn't include Access, it doesn't include the Group Policy manageability, doesn't have SCA, etc.

If you need SCA, GP, PowerBI, etc - then you should buy E3 seats for that, or something which gives you ProPlus.

EDIT: O365Midsize included ProPlus. The new plans don't include ProPlus, they instead offer a different product:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/kb/2842297

Don [doesn't work for MSFT, and they're probably glad about that ;]

Sunday, March 20, 2016 8:41 PM
  • Hi,

It means Remote Desktop Services and shared computer support is removed from Office 365 Business Premium plan. You will not be able to deploy Office 365 ProPlus to a Windows Server with the RDS role enabled in your organization that is accessed by multiple users.

If you need to keep Remote Desktop Services, you should renew to "Business Essentials" and then add "Office 365 ProPlus". This gives you the same feature functionality as you had in the previous SMB plan.

Alternatively, you can look at E3 but this one is relatively more expensive.

Regards,

Ethan Hua

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Monday, March 21, 2016 2:18 AM