ERROR_EVT_CONFIGURATION_ERROR(0x80073aa2) RRS feed

• Question

• I can't finish the install of vista sp2 on vista ultimate sp1 x64. after setp 3 (100% done) I get this message: ERROR_EVT_CONFIGURATION_ERROR(0x80073aa2)

I tried the rearm trick but nothing changed

Saturday, January 24, 2009 6:34 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Thanks for sharing the logs. We are looking at it and I'll get back to you if needed.

Thanks
    Arun
    We build Service Pack 2
    • Marked as answer by Sachin Trivedi Friday, February 6, 2009 10:52 PM
    Tuesday, February 3, 2009 6:31 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Could you please run CheckSUR (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947821) and see whether it fixes the problem?

If your issue still persists, could you please send me the following files at ArunT [AT] Microsoft [DOT] Com?

%windir%\logs\cbs\*.*
    %windir%\WindowsUpdate*.log
    %windir%\inf\setupapi.dev.log
    %windir%\winsxs\poqexec.log (if exists)
    %windir%\winsxs\pending.* (if exists)
    %windir%\Performance\WinSAT\Datastore\*.*
    %windir%\System32\winevt\Logs\application.evtx

Thanks

Arun

We build Service Pack 2
    Saturday, January 24, 2009 8:06 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for sharing the logs. We are looking at it and I'll get back to you if needed.

Thanks
    Arun
    We build Service Pack 2
    • Marked as answer by Sachin Trivedi Friday, February 6, 2009 10:52 PM
    Tuesday, February 3, 2009 6:31 PM
  • hi to you all!!! i have the same problem and i did run the small program i have tried to install service pack 2, and the problem is still there!!!  help please!!!  how and where do i get these in my computer to send you???

%windir%\logs\cbs\*.*

i don't know where to take these????

thank you in advance for your very good support. 

Thursday, May 28, 2009 11:28 AM
  • Here %windir% refers to C:\Windows. So if path says %windir%\logs\cbs\*.* it refers to C:\Windows\logs\cbs\*.*.

Please send these logs so that we can take it forward.

Thanks,
    Sachin 
    Thursday, May 28, 2009 12:36 PM
  • I am having the same problem and I have gathered the logs.  How do I send them to you?

Thanks,
    Ron
    Thursday, May 28, 2009 8:53 PM
  • is it normal that all those files goes around 100 megs????  cant transfer you those by email, to big!!!!!  how to them????
    Friday, May 29, 2009 12:07 PM
  • I am having the same issue when trying to update Vista to SP2.
    I can collect the relevant logs and send them to you...how can I do this?

Thanks,
    Steve
    Monday, June 1, 2009 2:43 AM
  • Please send them to satyendra.mishra@live.com.sg

Thanks,
    Satyendra
    Monday, June 1, 2009 5:37 AM
  • Hi Firemansorel and Stevetarzon,

Can you please let me know your email id so that I can get logs from you ?

Thanks,
    Sachin
    Tuesday, June 2, 2009 6:28 AM
  • same name at videotron.ca

thank you!!!
    Tuesday, June 2, 2009 6:49 PM
  • I have E-mailed all the requested logs to you as zip files.  I had to separate them to get them to you.  I hope they help you figure out what's going on and thanks for the help.  Let me know if you need anything else.

Thanks,
    Ron
    Wednesday, June 3, 2009 1:08 AM
  • steve  'dot'  tarzon  'at' sbcglobal.net

I will send logs tomorrow.  Thanks in advance,
    Steve

Thursday, June 4, 2009 12:56 AM
  • Hi,
    Could any one of you please share the values under

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WINEVT if possible.

Thanks,
    Satyendra

Thursday, June 4, 2009 5:20 AM
  • It should be in your mailbox shortly.  It is exported from Regedit and named WINEVT.txt.  Didn't want to send it as a .reg, wasn't sure it would pass through all the E-mail stuff. :)

Thanks!
    Ron
    Thursday, June 4, 2009 5:29 AM
  • Hi Steve and firemansorel,

I have sent you email on your id's and describe the process to collect logs.
    Please see email and kindly reply back once it is done.

Thanks for all your support and help.

Thanks,
    Sachin
    Thursday, June 4, 2009 8:22 AM
  • I get the same error, though I am running Vista Ultimate SP1 x32.  I just emailed Microsoft support for help on this.  Should I seek help here on this forum instead?  I have attempted this 3 times and although the system successfully reverts after the failure these attempts are consuming huge amounts of time.  I have disabled my security software (Avast) for these attempts.  My system is a Dell M1330 dual core laptop.  I have never installed any beta versions of Vista or any beta SPs on this machine.  Any help would be appreciated.
    Charlie
    Denver, CO

Thursday, June 18, 2009 9:25 PM
  • I get the same error, though I am running Vista Ultimate SP1 x32.  I just emailed Microsoft support for help on this.  Should I seek help here on this forum instead?  I have attempted this 3 times and although the system successfully reverts after the failure these attempts are consuming huge amounts of time.  I have disabled my security software (Avast) for these attempts.  My system is a Dell M1330 dual core laptop.  I have never installed any beta versions of Vista or any beta SPs on this machine.  Any help would be appreciated.
    Charlie
    Denver, CO

Same issue here.
    Dell M1330 - Windows Vista Home Premium x86 SP1

I have run CheckSur, system file checker, uninstalled all antivirus and still can't get past this error.
    This stops me from install IE8 and SP2.

Wouldn't mind know if the issue is with Dells build before I format.
    Thursday, June 18, 2009 11:19 PM
  • You might get help here, but for Vista there are the Windows Vista IT Pro Forums.
    Thursday, June 18, 2009 11:29 PM
  • There are at least two of us with this problem on the M1330, and probably many more, and this is a common and popular machine.  Is there anyone here who can make sense of the logs, or suggest other things to try?  I will be happy to provide logs or information.
    Charlie

Friday, June 19, 2009 1:07 PM
    Charlie
    Denver, CO

Same issue here.
    Dell M1330 - Windows Vista Home Premium x86 SP1

I have run CheckSur, system file checker, uninstalled all antivirus and still can't get past this error.
    This stops me from install IE8 and SP2.

Wouldn't mind know if the issue is with Dells build before I format.
    Same error with my vista 32 on dell m1710. IE8 and SP2 install up to 100% and then roll back.
    I'm desperate.
    Friday, June 19, 2009 9:08 PM
  • I also have a Dell laptop that came with Vista Home.  I installed Vista Pro and I have the same problem.  I also cannot install IE8 or SP2.  100% and then roll back.  I have provided all the information that has been requested in this thread and haven't heard anything, so I hope they are still researching.  Anyway, the main thing I wanted to throw out here is that I don't believe it has anything to do with having a Dell build of Vista.  I'm not running the Dell build anymore and if you look around the internet at all the people having this problem the vast majority of them aren't running a Dell build either.  I actually wish it were a Dell problem as my installing the Microsoft build would have most likely have fixed it.  Anyway, let's all hope they get back to us soon.
    Saturday, June 20, 2009 2:30 AM
  • I have a Lenovo T61 and I am facing the same problem. Cannot install IE8 or SP2.
    Saturday, June 20, 2009 2:46 PM
  • I received an email from Microsoft support suggesting that I try the install in "Clean Boot Mode" as follows.  I have not had time to try this yet.  Has anyoone tried this approach with any success?

=========================================

Please disable all startup items and third party services when booting to avoid conflict when installing Windows Vista SP2.

1. Click "Start", type: MSCONFIG in the search box and press Enter.

Note: Please click "Continue" if the "User Account Control" window pops up.

2. Click "Services", check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" box and click "Disable All" (if it is not gray).

3. Click "Startup", click "Disable All", click "OK" and restart the computer.

Note: Temporarily disabling the Startup Group only prevents the startup programs from loading at startup. This shouldn't affect the system or other programs. We can manually run these programs later.

4. Please double click the downloaded Standalone Installer and follow the instructions to install Windows Vista SP2.

To restore the computer to use a Normal Startup, repeat step 1 above. Then click "Normal Startup" on the General tab, click "OK", and then restart the computer.

Tuesday, June 23, 2009 12:28 PM
  • hi!!!  well ive tried it and the same thing happen..  not able to install sp2.  thanks anyway and still waiting a resolution from microsoft staff... 
    Tuesday, June 23, 2009 10:24 PM
  • I just tried it myself in "clean boot" mode and again it failed.  This is ridiculous.
    Tuesday, June 23, 2009 10:30 PM
  • A person (Ann Meng?) at Microsoft with email address v-30amen@mssupport.microsoft.com had responded to my request for help and had asked for sysinfo and log files if the clean boot process failed.  I just emailed the information to this address and the emails bounced.  Is there anyone from MS here?  What do I do now?  My service request number is SRX1104903912.  This is getting more ridiculous all the time.  Any help would be appreciated by all of us that are unable to install this SP.
    Charlie
    Tuesday, June 23, 2009 10:41 PM
  • well another erreur!!!  just try to install update explorer 8 and it didnt work too!!!!  vista is getting very sick!!!
    Wednesday, June 24, 2009 2:08 PM
  • Moderator please reply! It is unprofessional on part of Microsoft to have these client websites but no one to respond to the issues.
    Saturday, June 27, 2009 8:16 PM
  • It would be nice to get some help here from Microsoft.  Does anyone at MS read these posts?  Is it possible to get some assistance here?

I finally received a response from MS support (Ann Meng?).  Since her previous suggestions (listed above) did not help she suggested three more ideas, however all of these failed to resolve the SP2 install issue.  She suggested running "SFC /SCANNOW", and "CHKDSK /R" from the Windows recovery environment.  Neither helped at all.  She also suggested creating a new user and running the standalone upgrade package from the new login in "clean boot" mode.  That too was unsuccessful.  I still cannot install SP2.

Charlie

Saturday, June 27, 2009 9:42 PM
  • Hi Charlie,
    We found that there was some issue with the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WINEVT reg key, but we could not repro it inhouse. Could you please check if you have this registry key on your box and if yes, please send the content of that to satyendra.mishra@live.com.sg.

<If some other customers facing this problem could also send the same data, we might be able to get some pattern, and that will help us investigate it >
    Also do you guys have any optional component installed on your box??

Thanks,
    Satyendra
    Sunday, June 28, 2009 10:40 AM
  • I'm having the exactly the same issue. 
    Any resolution to this?

Running Windows Vista Ultimate x86 SP1 and IE 7.
    I can't update to IE 8, or complete SP2.

Hardware: Dell XPS M1330, bluetooth, wireless enabled.

Monday, June 29, 2009 5:19 PM
  • I do have a number of entries at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WINEVT.  Emailing now.  Any help or suggestions would be great.
    Charlie
    Monday, June 29, 2009 11:10 PM
  • i did send you all that you asked me a few weeks ago, and still no news from you guys at microsoft!!!  a cant install big update like sp2 and explorer 8....  whats happening with vista???
    Tuesday, June 30, 2009 4:36 PM
  • As mentioned earlier, I has also reported this issue to Microsoft support by email and I have tried everything they suggested until now.  The latest suggestion is to either try calling Microsoft support by phone (?) or to uninstall SP1 and then perform an in-place upgrade of Vista from my original disks, then re-install SP1, then try SP2 again.  This is just too much to ask so I told the representative to close my service ticket as not-resolved.  Unless something comes from this forum I suppose I am stuck without SP2 and I gather without IE8 which I have not attempted.  Of course in a few months I can cough up over $300 for Windows 7 Ultimate and start over in the hope that MS will get it right next time, but the thought is not appealing, especially for that cost.  We are all looking to you Satyendra for help.  Let me know if I can provide any other information.
    Charlie

Tuesday, June 30, 2009 9:06 PM
  • Hi,

Could you please run CheckSUR (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947821) and see whether it fixes the problem?

If your issue still persists, could you please send me the following files at ArunT [AT] Microsoft [DOT] Com?

%windir%\logs\cbs\*.*

Thanks

Arun

We build Service Pack 2
    Interestingly enough I only have data in the following locations:

Anyone else missing the others?
    Thursday, July 2, 2009 6:24 PM
  • Hi,

Did anyone find anything about ERROR_EVT_CONFIGURATION_ERROR that manages to fix it?

I can't find anything on any thread about this subject.
    Friday, July 3, 2009 7:42 PM
  • Satyem (or anyone at MS),  Anything at all on this?  Obviously many users are having what appears to be the same issue.  Have you identified what is causing this so that we can move forward with SP2?
    Wednesday, July 8, 2009 2:32 PM
  • It is FIXED!!!  Thank you Microsoft!  I have been working with them for several weeks and we finally got a fix!

Check and see if KB933246 is installed on your computer, if it is remove it.

If you don't want to remove it, or if it is not installed, as was my case, inport the following registry key:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WINEVT\Publishers\{51bd93ee-1739-4261-b8e8-67970423a2a0}]
    @="Microsoft-Windows-BitLocker-DrivePreparationTool"
    "ResourceFileName"=hex(2):25,00,50,00,72,00,6f,00,67,00,72,00,61,00,6d,00,46,\
      00,69,00,6c,00,65,00,73,00,25,00,5c,00,42,00,69,00,74,00,4c,00,6f,00,63,00,\
      6b,00,65,00,72,00,5c,00,42,00,64,00,65,00,43,00,66,00,67,00,4c,00,6f,00,67,\
      00,2e,00,64,00,6c,00,6c,00,00,00
    "MessageFileName"=hex(2):25,00,50,00,72,00,6f,00,67,00,72,00,61,00,6d,00,46,00,\
      69,00,6c,00,65,00,73,00,25,00,5c,00,42,00,69,00,74,00,4c,00,6f,00,63,00,6b,\
      00,65,00,72,00,5c,00,42,00,64,00,65,00,43,00,66,00,67,00,4c,00,6f,00,67,00,\
      2e,00,64,00,6c,00,6c,00,00,00
    "Enabled"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WINEVT\Publishers\{51bd93ee-1739-4261-b8e8-67970423a2a0}\ChannelReferences]
    "Count"=dword:00000002

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WINEVT\Publishers\{51bd93ee-1739-4261-b8e8-67970423a2a0}\ChannelReferences\0]
    @="Microsoft-Windows-BitLocker-DrivePreparationTool/Admin"
    "Id"=dword:00000010
    "Flags"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WINEVT\Publishers\{51bd93ee-1739-4261-b8e8-67970423a2a0}\ChannelReferences\1]
    @="Microsoft-Windows-BitLocker-DrivePreparationTool/Operational"
    "Id"=dword:00000011
    "Flags"=dword:00000000

After I imported the key I booted with only the Microsoft services running and ran the KB947821.

I installed both SP2 and IE8!

I sincerely hope this works for the rest of you.  We've all been suffering through this long enough.

And once again, thank you Microsoft and in particular satyendra!

Ron

• Proposed as answer by Brian Borg Thursday, July 9, 2009 11:04 PM
    Thursday, July 9, 2009 3:07 PM
  • ANOTHER SUCCESS, after weeks of failures with SP2.  I also did not have KB933246 installed.  Rather than import these registry keys I simply deleted all of my existing keys at [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WINEVT\] and then ran the upgrade with only MS services running and it worked.  I have not attempted to install IE8.
    Charlie

Monday, July 13, 2009 1:28 PM
  • How do we determine if KB933246 (or in general, any fix) has been applied on a Vista system?

In XP I would look for %windir%\$NTuninstallKBnnnnnn - as a hidden folder.

but I don't know how to determine this in Vista.

Any help would be appreciated, hopefully there is a simple answer for this!
    Thanks,
    Steve

Sunday, July 19, 2009 4:33 PM
  • well him happy that the problem is solve but thats chiness stuff to me...  i dont understand a thing about how to resolv the problem.  i was thinking that microsoft would gave us an auto-execute to install to solve my problem...  somebody will have to help me with that...  hope microsoft staff will read this soon to help me.  sncerely luc.
    Sunday, July 19, 2009 6:41 PM
  • Worked for me as well, thanks for posting.

To those that don't know how to use the above:
    Log on with admin rights.
    Copy and paste the text from Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00 to "Flags"=dword:00000000 in to notepad and save the file as 'winevt.reg'. (Make sure you don't accidently save it as 'winevt.reg.txt')
    Double click the file you just saved and it will ask you if you want to import it in to registry.

Now try installing SP2 or IE8 (I didn't bother rebooting or start with MS services only running) and it should work.

Those who know how to use regedit can use the shortcut Charlie used below and delete the WINEVT tree (this worked on my other m1330 with the same )problem).
    Sunday, July 19, 2009 8:18 PM
  • well i've tried it and it does not work!!!!  thank you anyway!!!  still waiting for any result!!!!
    Monday, July 20, 2009 10:06 PM
  • well i've tried it and it does not work!!!!  thank you anyway!!!  still waiting for any result!!!!

Well rather than "waiting for any result", why don't you contact Satyendra Mishra (satyendra.mishra@live.com.sg) and see if she can assist you in finding the answer.  I worked with her and it went very smoothly.

Sorry the fix didn't work for you, you must have some additional or different problems in your system.  Anyway, contact her and I'm sure she and her team can help.  This problem is so complex that just waiting for an answer could be a long time coming.

Anyway, best of luck!
    • Proposed as answer by firemansorel Thursday, July 23, 2009 4:48 PM
    Tuesday, July 21, 2009 2:28 AM
  • I tried updating the registry and the SP2 did not work for me either.
    I opened up a problem ticket with MS and I am awaiting a response.
    Wednesday, July 22, 2009 2:45 AM
  • well thanks to ronha my problem are all solved!!!  thank you again for your support, your the best!!!
    • Proposed as answer by Adrian Biljan Monday, July 27, 2009 1:59 PM
    Thursday, July 23, 2009 4:49 PM
  • well thanks to ronha my problem are all solved!!!  thank you again for your support, your the best!!!

I am very happy you got it solved.  You might want to make note of what solved it for you.  The fix I had works for most people but there have been a few, such as yourself, where it didn't.  Did Satyendra help you, or did you find some other method?  And thank you for the comment!!  Ron
    • Proposed as answer by Adrian Biljan Monday, July 27, 2009 1:45 PM
    Thursday, July 23, 2009 6:20 PM
  • All,

I resolved my issue by doing the following:

1. Downloaded the stand-alone Windows Vista SP 2 (32-bit)
    2. After reading Rohna's post; I exported HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WINEVT to file.
    3. Deleted HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WINEVT node from registry
    4. Rebooted
    5. Ran MSConfig from Start menu.
    6. Disabled all non-essential (anything that wasn't Microsoft, network adapter, video display, mouse related) services from both from start-up and Services tabs.
    7. Rebooted
    8. Installed the stand-alone sp 2, from Step 1 - success!
    9. Rebooted
    10. Ran windows updates, installed all recommended updates, including IE 8.
    11. Rebooted
    12. Opened MSConfig from the start menu and enabled all services which were disabled in step 5.
      These should be evident if you sort by Date Disabled.
    13. Rebooted.

Hope this helps,

Adrian

• Edited by Adrian Biljan Monday, July 27, 2009 2:57 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Ronha Tuesday, July 28, 2009 12:47 AM
    Monday, July 27, 2009 2:13 PM
  • Help! I've tried everything above and I'm still unable to install Vista SP2 or IE8. I've tried many times using the various suggestions above. Initially I was getting the "Reverting Changes" message with no specific error reported, laterly I've been getting "ERROR_EVT_CONFIGURATION_ERROR (0x80073aa2)" and yesterday, after following Adrian's suggestions above my laptop froze in the "Shutting Down" phase and after more than an hour of no disk activity and the fan on full blast I was forced to power it down and manually revert to a previous restore point.

In the meantime my Registry appears to have grown from 42k to 264k which is rather alarming (I think). I'm going backwards.

I would very much like to have SP2 and IE8 installed but it seems I will need some expert help to get there. I'm happy to share config details, just let me know what, how and with whom and let's try to resolve this.

Many thanks,
    Julian

Tuesday, July 28, 2009 9:09 AM
  • Help! I've tried everything above and I'm still unable to install Vista SP2 or IE8. I've tried many times using the various suggestions above. Initially I was getting the "Reverting Changes" message with no specific error reported, laterly I've been getting "ERROR_EVT_CONFIGURATION_ERROR (0x80073aa2)" and yesterday, after following Adrian's suggestions above my laptop froze in the "Shutting Down" phase and after more than an hour of no disk activity and the fan on full blast I was forced to power it down and manually revert to a previous restore point.

In the meantime my Registry appears to have grown from 42k to 264k which is rather alarming (I think). I'm going backwards.

I would very much like to have SP2 and IE8 installed but it seems I will need some expert help to get there. I'm happy to share config details, just let me know what, how and with whom and let's try to resolve this.

Many thanks,
    Julian

As I stated above, if you are still having trouble then contact Satyendra Mishra (satyendra.mishra@live.com.sg) and she and her team should be able to assist you.
    Tuesday, July 28, 2009 9:44 PM
  • Thank you very much. It is solved. Microsoft support couldn't help me and at last didn't response any more.
    Now it works. Great.

But i can't understand why microsoft is ignoring the fact that so many have problems with service pack 2.....

Thanks again.

Alfred
    Friday, July 31, 2009 2:20 PM
  • Hi !

Thank you very much ! It took 2 complete days to install SP2 and IE8. I did all of what I found on this forum and others... Nothing worked, until I deleted the WINEVT key (after save the registry.

Thank you ! 
    Monday, September 14, 2009 7:59 PM
  • All,

I resolved my issue by doing the following:

1. Downloaded the stand-alone Windows Vista SP 2 (32-bit)
    2. After reading Rohna's post; I exported HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WINEVT to file.
    3. Deleted HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WINEVT node from registry
    4. Rebooted
    5. Ran MSConfig from Start menu.
    6. Disabled all non-essential (anything that wasn't Microsoft, network adapter, video display, mouse related) services from both from start-up and Services tabs.
    7. Rebooted
    8. Installed the stand-alone sp 2, from Step 1 - success!
    9. Rebooted
    10. Ran windows updates, installed all recommended updates, including IE 8.
    11. Rebooted
    12. Opened MSConfig from the start menu and enabled all services which were disabled in step 5.
      These should be evident if you sort by Date Disabled.
    13. Rebooted.

Hope this helps,

Adrian

I got it to work using the fix above, but what I'm wondering now is whether I should re-import the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WINEVT key we were asked to remove.
    Is this node vital?  What is it needed for? Am I going to run into issues in the future i this node is missing?
    Thanks
    • Proposed as answer by BobCLT Tuesday, November 3, 2009 2:31 AM
    Friday, October 16, 2009 6:08 PM
  • These steps also worked for me as well.   I would also appreciate any feed back on re-importing the WINEVT registry key that was deleted.  There seems to be a significant amount of information contained in that key.

Bob
    Tuesday, November 3, 2009 2:31 AM