none
Possible to specify which service partition executes "FIM SYSTEM" requests? RRS feed

• Question

• I have specific WF activities that can only be processed by certain service partitions in my environment.  For requests submitted via the Portal, I have an authorization activity that checks the service partition value on the request before attempting the action, which will be denied if it is not made from the appropriate service partition.

The problem that I'm running into is with Temporal Sets.  When updated, they are triggering a workflow that I need to insure is executed on a specific service partition.  Is this possible?  I see that the service partition value on these requests is "FIM SYSTEM" which is able to be processed by ANY service partition in the environment.  I need to specify which service partition processes these in my environment.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

-Ryan

• Edited by RYounk007 Tuesday, August 7, 2012 6:20 PM
    Thursday, August 2, 2012 3:35 PM

Answers

• I happened to be reading through the FIM Troubleshooting guide (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg607341(WS.10).aspx) today which calls out:

If a request has a Service Partition Name value of FIM SYSTEM, it can be managed by any FIM Service, regardless of the FIM Service’s servicePartitionName. Do not use the value FIM SYSTEM for the servicePartitionName or serviceName setting of any FIM Service.

There is no mention in that document either regarding scoping the FIM Service Instances that can process FIM SYSTEM Requests.

Seeing no other responses and the fact that this has been addressed with R2, I am concluding that there is no way to control this without upgrading.

Please let me know if I've missed something.

Thanks!

-Ryan

• Marked as answer by RYounk007 Tuesday, October 23, 2012 4:28 PM
    Tuesday, October 23, 2012 4:28 PM

All replies

• It seems that this has been included in R2, as described in the release notes (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh322889(WS.10).aspx)

FIM Service: For asynchronous exports from the FIM MA, multiple FIM Service instances will process synchronization requests
    In R2, all FIM service instances, irrespective of whether they belong to a particular service partition will process synchronization requests.  In order to avoid performance impacts on specific FIM service instances and/or service partitions you will need to update the Microsoft.ResourceManagment.service.exe.config setting receiveSynchronizationRequestsEnabled as documented in the configuration file.

I've read through the pre-R2 hotfixes and cannot find this refereneced anywhere.  Does anyone know if this was implemented with any of the hotfixes before R2?

Thanks!

-Ryan

Thursday, September 27, 2012 5:19 PM
  • I happened to be reading through the FIM Troubleshooting guide (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg607341(WS.10).aspx) today which calls out:

If a request has a Service Partition Name value of FIM SYSTEM, it can be managed by any FIM Service, regardless of the FIM Service’s servicePartitionName. Do not use the value FIM SYSTEM for the servicePartitionName or serviceName setting of any FIM Service.

There is no mention in that document either regarding scoping the FIM Service Instances that can process FIM SYSTEM Requests.

Seeing no other responses and the fact that this has been addressed with R2, I am concluding that there is no way to control this without upgrading.

Please let me know if I've missed something.

Thanks!

-Ryan

• Marked as answer by RYounk007 Tuesday, October 23, 2012 4:28 PM
    Tuesday, October 23, 2012 4:28 PM
  • I came to same conclusion you did on this one. FIM SYSTEM WF's can't be controlled. They have 'free run' of services they get to execute on. 

As you mentioned, it's been addressed in R2.

Frank C. Drewes III - Architect - Oxford Computer Group

Tuesday, October 23, 2012 7:00 PM