Issues with serial connected devices RRS feed

• Question

• I'm basically grasping at straws here, but sometime after the January patch cycle an abnormal normal of our Windows XP (SP3) machines started to have issues with instrumentation that was connected to serial ports.  To date I have been unable to determine any root cause, it just seems abnormal that within the last week these systems have quit working.  It is not even the same vendor software.  The only common factors seem to be:  Windows XP and serial connected devices.

Pulling out my hair (what I have left).

Thursday, January 27, 2011 8:11 PM

All replies

• It is directly related to the software application communicating with the device that is connected via the COM1 (serial) port.  The software application will receive an error that basically translates into its inability to communicate through the COM port.  There are different software applications involved and different connected devices.  In one case it is a process piece of instrumention and in another it is a balance (scale).  The only common factor (so far) seems to be a reboot (perhaps connected with the January patch set cycle) and that they are Windows XP. 

So far I have been unable to identify a particular patch that may have caused this behavior (or if it is patch related at all). 

Thursday, January 27, 2011 8:59 PM
  • Hmm if your still having issues. Here is microsofts kb about serial devices. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314464/EN-US
    Friday, March 11, 2011 4:30 PM