none
By powershell command, how to have the name of the DPM server of a computer, without going to the server in question RRS feed

• General discussion

• With a powershell command, I want to request any computer on my network, so that it sends me the name of the DPM server where it is backed up.
    Is there a command to do that?
    Thanks for your help.
    Thursday, October 10, 2019 3:48 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Please try not to double post :-)

You can change this thread type to a "question" and mark it as answered whenever you feel your question has been answered.

As for the methods of retrieving the DPM server name that is backing up, here are a few methods:

Method 1

$DPMServer = ((GWMI -Query "Select * From Win32_groupuser" -ComputerName <Insert Computer Name> | ? {$_.GroupComponent -Like "*DPMRADm*"} | Select PartComponent).PartComponent).Split("`"$")[3]

Method 2

Type "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Data Protection Manager\DPM\ActiveOwner\"*.

Method 3

Get-LocalGroupMember -Group "DPMRADmTrustedMachines" | Select Name

Best regards,
    Leon

Blog: https://thesystemcenterblog.com LinkedIn:

Thursday, October 10, 2019 5:42 PM
  • Hello,

Thank you for your answer.

when I type the first command, I have an error: you can not call a method in a null expression

when I type the second command, I have only this:

>>

when I type the third command, I have : The group DPMRADm... is not found. Even if, I put an existing group, I have the same error.

Please, do you want to explain to me, what I have to do because I am new to powershell?

I remind you that I want to request any computer on my network, so that it sends me back its DPM server where it is saved.
    It's as if I say to a computer where are you saved where? and he answers me by sending me the name of his DPM server.
    Thank you for your answers.

Friday, October 11, 2019 1:28 PM
  • So the first command:

$DPMServer = ((GWMI -Query "Select * From Win32_groupuser" -ComputerName "DPMagentComputer.domain.com" | ? {$_.GroupComponent -Like "*DPMRADm*"} | Select PartComponent).PartComponent).Split("`"$")[3]
    $DPMServer

Change the "DPMagentComputer.domain.com" to one of your computers that is protected by DPM.

Example:

The second command must be run in a Command Prompt, it will return a lot of jibberish but the first line will tell us the name of the DPM Server.

Example:

The third command should work on any computer that is backed up by a DPM server.

Example:

Blog: https://thesystemcenterblog.com LinkedIn:

Friday, October 11, 2019 1:38 PM