none
Wrong Cash Flow Cost Totals in Master File with Sub-Projects RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Microsoft Project 2013 Professional (standalone, no Server), 15.0.4771.1000, MSO(15.0.4711.1000), 32-bit

I created a master project, that has roughly 40 sub-projects under its umbrella. Each sub-project has Fixed Costs attached to each task.

If I run the Cash Flow report individually, I get the proper summary numbers (Cost, Cumulative Cost Allocation). I initially tested the master project with 5 sub-projects and all visual reports worked just fine. When I tested the final product with the 30+ sub-projects, the CF report gives completely erratic numbers.

I am unsure as to why this behavior occurs.

Any advice is more than welcome.

Thank you in advance for your support.

John A.

Thursday, February 15, 2018 4:39 PM

Answers

• Well, it is hard to give good a good answer without being able to see it, but this is what I would do.

They cannot be "erratic". There has to be a reason for it. Troubleshooting is largely a matter of elimination.

Can you confirm that the "master" file is made by using "insert project" for each sub-project?

Are there any other tasks in the master?

Perhaps all of the projects are ok but maybe just one of them has something wrong.

5 sub projects worked ok, but 30+ don't. So don't throw in 30+ in one go. Build the master file one project at a time and check that the cost total and cash flow works step by step.

Make sure that there are no fixed costs attached to any of the summaries. Tasks only.

Any help?

• Marked as answer by Ionut Apolozan Tuesday, February 20, 2018 4:05 PM
    Thursday, February 15, 2018 9:00 PM

All replies

• John A.,

First of all update your version of Project 2013. You have the November 2015 version whereas the latest update is 15.0.5007.1000 (February 2018). Run Windows Update. Then if you still see the problem, post back.

John

Thursday, February 15, 2018 5:03 PM
  • Well, it is hard to give good a good answer without being able to see it, but this is what I would do.

They cannot be "erratic". There has to be a reason for it. Troubleshooting is largely a matter of elimination.

Can you confirm that the "master" file is made by using "insert project" for each sub-project?

Are there any other tasks in the master?

Perhaps all of the projects are ok but maybe just one of them has something wrong.

5 sub projects worked ok, but 30+ don't. So don't throw in 30+ in one go. Build the master file one project at a time and check that the cost total and cash flow works step by step.

Make sure that there are no fixed costs attached to any of the summaries. Tasks only.

Any help?

• Marked as answer by Ionut Apolozan Tuesday, February 20, 2018 4:05 PM
    Thursday, February 15, 2018 9:00 PM
  • Hi John,

I updated my MS Project to 15.0.5007.1000. I saw that double posting questions on both TechNet and MS Answers are frowned upon, so I will close this one.

Thanks,
    John A.

Tuesday, February 20, 2018 4:05 PM
  • John,

Okay, thanks for the feedback.

John

Tuesday, February 20, 2018 5:57 PM