none
MDT: pause task sequence and take (vm) snapshot, then continue with changed task sequence? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

If you pause a task sequence and take a (vm) snapshot, can you change the next steps in that task sequence (in order to troubleshoot)? F.e. add/remove an application/change other things.

Please advise.
    J.

Jan Hoedt

Friday, September 26, 2014 4:53 PM

Answers

• You cannot change a task sequence once it's been started unless you have the capability to manually edit the ts.xml file. Once MDT starts a task sequence, it loads that file over with the details you have configured in MDT, and executes them in that order. 

You can pause it and make manual changes with the script - ltisuspend.wsf. If you call that script, it will pause your task sequence and leave a desktop icon for you to continue deploying your task sequence.   

Friday, September 26, 2014 5:03 PM

All replies

• You cannot change a task sequence once it's been started unless you have the capability to manually edit the ts.xml file. Once MDT starts a task sequence, it loads that file over with the details you have configured in MDT, and executes them in that order. 

You can pause it and make manual changes with the script - ltisuspend.wsf. If you call that script, it will pause your task sequence and leave a desktop icon for you to continue deploying your task sequence.   

Friday, September 26, 2014 5:03 PM
  • RIght, Once a task sequence has started, it can not be modified, however the Task sequence can be directed to follow actions based on some external variables.

Example, add a pause just before ZTIApplications.wsf. and take a snapshot.

When the program returns, you could import a new Applications001 variable into MDT and continue.

Devil is in the details.

I'm working on a similar problem right now in my own environment. Basically I want to create a matrix of various captures, 76 images in total, on a regular basis (like every patch Tuesday). <whew>

Keith Garner - Principal Consultant [owner] - http://DeploymentLive.com

Friday, September 26, 2014 9:02 PM
  • Keith,

Once you add a Suspend step, you make quick changes to your VM, take a snapshot/Checkpoint of your VM then hit the Resume shortcut.

What I see now on my VM after it's all done is a shortcut to the Resume TS (because I just did take a snapshot of the VM with that shortcut on it) and also a MININT folder on the C: of my VM.

What's the deal with these things hanging around? Do they get removed...and why is the shortcut still there along with the MININT folder? Shouldn't that get removed at the end of the process?

Sunday, May 12, 2019 5:14 PM