none
Group A (see everything only edit Group A projects) RRS feed

• Question

• Scenario:

1. PMO1 group wants to edit projects in PMO1 group AND see all projects in PMO2 group in read-only.
    2. PMO2 group wants to edit projects in PMO2 group AND see all projects in PMO1 group in read-only

What has been done so far!

-Created a project flag that distinguishes between PMO1 vs PMO2 project
    -Created two “Portfolio Manager Groups” (PMO1 and PMO2)
    -Created category and PMO1 View, which let’s them only see their own project flagged as PMO1
    -Created category and PMO2 View, which let’s them only see their own project flagged as PMO2
    -Created a general view which let’s them see all projects, BUT both groups are still able to edit the other group’s projects

I tried RBS, but not sure if I did it correctly.

Thanks again for the help!

----------------------------

Thursday, May 26, 2016 2:07 PM

All replies

• Hi Pink Floyd,

You cannot do this using a flag on the project... as this does not impact the permissions associated with a category.  It is useful for filtering in a view though, as you have found out.  

Ideally, you should be able to use the category settings to create a dynamic category called "PMO1 projects" and associate this with the PMO1 group, and then set the category permissions to open and save for that association.  The problem you will face is that the dynamic allocation of groups is based upon the user, and not the group membership of the user.  Therefore you might find the only way is to manually add the PMO1 projects into the PMO1 category, and likewise for PMO2.

Ben Howard [MVP] | web | blog | book | P2O

Thursday, May 26, 2016 2:57 PM
  • Thanks Ben,

I was hoping to avoid the manual adding of projects and have it done automatically.

Do you think SharePoint permission would have worked?

Pink

----------------------------

Tuesday, May 31, 2016 2:59 PM
  • Hi Pink,

Or you can try to use the default permissions for the Project Managers group and add the My Organization category in this group.

Now, on the My Organization category in Project Managers group set the permissions using the default Team Members Template and add Open Project permissions and ensure that Save permissions are not checked for this category.

Using this option all the Project Managers will be able to see all the Projects but will be able to edit only those Project which they are required to.

Cheers! Happy troubleshooting !!! Dinesh S. Rai - MSFT Enterprise Project Management

Please click Mark As Answer; if a post solves your problem or Vote As Helpful if a post has been useful to you. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Tuesday, May 31, 2016 3:41 PM
  • Hi PinkFloyd72,

I don't think you'll be able to do this would manually adding projects into the category.  Dinesh's soln will give you read access to ALL projects as he says, so that doesn't work for you either. 

Ben Howard [MVP] | web | blog | book | P2O

Wednesday, June 1, 2016 7:10 AM