Can you upgrade Windows 7 32 bit to Windows 10 64 bit as part of the free upgrade program? RRS feed

• Question

• I haven't seen an answer to this question anywhere.  I'm currently dual booting Windows 7 32 bit wit Windows 10 TP 64 bit and are sharing data between them with no problems. I'd really like to roll over the 64 bit Windows 10 install to the final version as Gabe Aul indicated may be possible.

Jerry

Sunday, June 7, 2015 4:51 PM

Answers

• ..........Also your answer doesn't address my basic question.  Does a 32 bit Windows 7 install qualify for a 64 bit Windows 10 free install.  If I can't roll over as indicated above and the 64 bit install is eligible, of course it would have to be a clean install.

I thought I had answered that.

Your Win 7 32-bit will get a free upgrade to Win 10 32-bit.

You do NOT get an invitation to a 64-bit upgrade.

Upgrade path..........Like for Like.

excerpt from the same link I posted above...............

I want to switch from my currently installed architecture when migrating to Windows 10. Do I have that option with the free upgrade offer?

• The free upgrade does not have the option to switch architectures, so the architecture will remain the same. If you want to switch architectures, you will have to download the Window 10 .ISO file in the appropriate architecture (32 or 64 bit) and do a custom install.

Sunday, June 7, 2015 7:32 PM

All replies

• I haven't seen an answer to this question anywhere.  I'm currently dual booting Windows 7 32 bit wit Windows 10 TP 64 bit and are sharing data between them with no problems. I'd really like to roll over the 64 bit Windows 10 install to the final version as Gabe Aul indicated may be possible.

Jerry

1. An article from a community moderator of another forum.........

(beginning of excerpt)............

Will I have the option of choose a different drive or partition where I want the upgrade installed?

No, it will require that you are running a previous qualifying version and start the upgrade from within the qualifying version................(end of excerpt )

That means you will have to upgrade on your Win 7 32-bit, not on the Win 10 TP.

2. Since you cannot upgrade from a 32-bit to a 64-bit, you will have to obtain a Win 10 64-bit ISO and do a Clean Install over your Win 7 32-bit.

..................................................................................

I am dual booting Win 8.1 Pro with Win 10 TP.

When Win 10 RTM is released on July 29th, I'll upgrade on my Win 8.1 Pro.
    I'll remove the Win 10 TP partition, and recreate a new partition in which I'll reinstall my Win 8.1 Pro.
    I hope my plan works.

Sunday, June 7, 2015 5:35 PM
  • But From: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...83265b?page=13

Gabriel Aul replied on June 1, 2015crosoft

" In reply to jamie.shaw's post on June 1, 2015

What about those who are currently running the Windows 10 preview? Will they have to reinstall Windows 7 or 8 to be able to view this icon, to then reserve, to then upgrade back to Windows 10 once made available; or will there be a system to upgrade the preview to full and convert a Windows 7 or 8 licence key to Windows 10?
    Hi Jamie,
    Registered Windows Insiders who are running the Windows 10 Insider Preview builds will be upgraded to the final release product. You will not have to reinstall 7 or 8, you can just roll forward. In fact, we encourage you to stay in the program! You'll start receiving preview builds for our next release shortly afterwards.
    Thanks,"

Also your answer doesn't address my basic question.  Does a 32 bit Windows 7 install qualify for a 64 bit Windows 10 free install.  If I can't roll over as indicated above and the 64 bit install is eligible, of course it would have to be a clean install.

Jerry 

Sunday, June 7, 2015 6:00 PM
  • Quote .....Registered Windows Insiders who are running the Windows 10 Insider Preview builds will be upgraded to the final release product. You will not have to reinstall 7 or 8, you can just roll forward.

.........................................................................................................................

Those Insider Previews were upgraded from Win 7 or Win 8.1. They will get upgraded to Won 10 RTM automatically. They do NOT have to rollback to Win 7 or Win 8.1.

However, if you create a new partition and install Win 10 TP into it, you did NOT upgrade it from Win 7.
    Your Win 7  will get notification for a free upgrade, your Win 10 TP will not.

See the difference ?

Sunday, June 7, 2015 7:28 PM
  • ..........Also your answer doesn't address my basic question.  Does a 32 bit Windows 7 install qualify for a 64 bit Windows 10 free install.  If I can't roll over as indicated above and the 64 bit install is eligible, of course it would have to be a clean install.

I thought I had answered that.

Your Win 7 32-bit will get a free upgrade to Win 10 32-bit.

You do NOT get an invitation to a 64-bit upgrade.

Upgrade path..........Like for Like.

excerpt from the same link I posted above...............

I want to switch from my currently installed architecture when migrating to Windows 10. Do I have that option with the free upgrade offer?

• The free upgrade does not have the option to switch architectures, so the architecture will remain the same. If you want to switch architectures, you will have to download the Window 10 .ISO file in the appropriate architecture (32 or 64 bit) and do a custom install.

Sunday, June 7, 2015 7:32 PM