Outlook Delivery Report gets delivered with corrupted texts RRS feed

• Question

• Wondering if anyone can help? 

I have this user has Outlook activated with Office365 ProPlus license. 

She often send out emails with delivery report option enabled. 

When she receive delivery report, 100% of time the body of the email is garbled (like kanji charactor)  

Any other email is ok. as it's an autoreply report there is no option to change encoding. 

Outlook online obviously has no problem and shows correct message body. 

I have launched Outlook with safe mode, tweaked language setting on Outlook, PC etc, none worked. 

Has anyone come accross with this issue before ? 

If there is any suggestion on how to resolve this, please kindly advise. 

Friday, February 28, 2020 12:40 PM

All replies

• Hi ,

Before going further, could you please collect the build number of your Outlook via File > Office Account > About Outlook? Please make sure you have upgraded your Outlook to the latest version.

Do you set up Request a Delivery Receipt via Options > Tracking? Or via File > Option >Mail > Tracking > Delivery receipt...like below?
    Does this problem occur when sending mails which request Delivery Receipt to some certain recipients? If yes, what about other users sending to these certain recipients?
    Can this issue be reproduced if you add her email account to Outlook clients on other machines? What about adding other email accounts to your Outlook client?

>> Outlook online obviously has no problem and shows correct message body.

>> I have launched Outlook with safe mode, tweaked language setting on Outlook, PC etc, none worked.

It seems that this is a client issue according to your tests.In order to conduct further researches on your issue, please try the following suggestions:

1. If the send/receive file (.srs) of your account is corrupted, it will cause issues like this. Please delete the .srs file and restart outlook client to test. 
      Location of the .srs file:  C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook.
    2. It is suggested to check if you have enabled "Straight quotes with smart quotes" feature which may cause issues like this. Please uncheck this option like below via File> Options> Mail> Spell Checking and AutoCorrect> AutoCorrect Options> AutoFormat>Straight quotes with smart quotes and see if it works.
    3. A corrupted profile can lead this issue, so please try creating and using a new Outlook profile via Control Panel > Mail > Show profile and see if there is any difference.

Hope this can be helpful.

Regards,

Jeff Yang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Monday, March 2, 2020 7:54 AM
  • Hi Jeff

Thank you for your reply, 

regarding Outlook version, I forgot to take a capture but I did updated it to the latest before I have done any troubleshooting, I also repaired Office from program and feature which did also not make any difference. 

The user usually set request delivery report on individual email message not by default. 

This happens to any address she send with delivery report request. i.e. if she send it to my email address, just the same problem happens as with any other address.

I have created new profiles and tested but sadly no change. so it seems profile is ok. 

I haven't tried srs files and "Straight quotes with smart quotes," I will try and will get back to you with the result. 

Thank you so much again. 

Naoko 

Monday, March 2, 2020 12:24 PM
  • Hi Naoko ,

Thanks for your reply.

>> The user usually set request delivery report on individual email message not by default. 
    It is suggested to set request delivery report by default and see if there is any difference.

>> I haven't tried srs files and "Straight quotes with smart quotes," I will try and will get back to you with the result.
    OK, please try these suggestions and record the test results when you are free.
    Besides, as mentioned before, can this issue be reproduced if you add her email account to Outlook clients on other machines? What about adding other email accounts to her Outlook client?

If you have any update about this issue, please feel free to post back.

Regards,

Jeff Yang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, March 4, 2020 9:37 AM
  • Hi Jeff

I have tried below 

1. Resetting .srs file 

2. Uncheck Straight quotes with smart quotes 

but to no avail. 

I have created new profile on the same PC and tried but this also did not work. 

As outlook online can receive delivery report, I have forwarded back to her own email and opened it with on premise Outlook, then it displays no problem and it was delivered with the original mail attachment come with delivery report.(Corrupted delivery report is missing original mail attachment which can be seen in Outlook online. )

I had tweaked some security settings as well as disabling anti spam add-on, added the domain of where report come from to safe sender etc as I wondered if her Outlook is having issue with relayed mail but none worked so far. 

If you could give me further suggestion it will be greatly appreciated. 

Kind regards,

Naoko 

Wednesday, March 4, 2020 12:10 PM
  • Hi Naoko ,

Thanks for your reply.

>> As outlook online can receive delivery report, I have forwarded back to her own email and opened it with on premise Outlook, then it displays no problem
    What do the "outlook online" and "promise Outlook" you mentioned exactly mean?
    According to your tests, we still need to confirm if this issue is related to her Outlook Client. Please try to add other email accounts to her Outlook client for test. For example, you could add your email account to her Outlook client, send a test email from your account which requires Delivery Receipt and see if there is any difference.

>> It was delivered with the original mail attachment come with delivery report.(Corrupted delivery report is missing original mail attachment which can be seen in Outlook online. )
    I conducted tests of the Delivery Receipt feature in my environment and got results like below. Delivery Receipt messages received by the Outlook client do not show the original message as an attachment and it is just normal.

Hope this can be helpful.

Regards,

Jeff Yang

Friday, March 6, 2020 8:36 AM
  • Hi Naoko ,

I am currently standing by for further update from you and would like to know how things are going. 

If you have any update about this issue, please feel free to post back.

Regards,

Jeff Yang

Tuesday, March 10, 2020 7:41 AM