Get Oracle DB Connection to show up. RRS feed

• Question

• I can't seem to find exactly what I need to do in order to get the Oracle Drivers available for SharePoint Designer.

I have the Oracle Client installed on the server and the desktop.

From what I read there is much talk about having 32 bit vs 64 bit Oracle on the server and desktop. 

Can someone give me details on what needs to be installed without using a ton of acronyms?

Some of the threads I have read just spout out acronyms that someone trying to understand how this works just wouldn't understand.

Thank you

Wednesday, January 15, 2014 3:23 PM

Answers

All replies

• You can't create an Oracle connection using SharePoint Designer OOTB. There are tools such as BCS Meta Man that let you create a BCS model from an Oracle connection / upload it to your BCS Service Application. http://lightningtools.com/products/bcs-meta-man/

Dimitri Ayrapetov (MCSE: SharePoint)

Thursday, January 16, 2014 3:02 AM
  • Hello,

Unfortunately SharePoint Designer doesn't support connecting to Oracle database. It supports direct connection with SQL so you have to create definition file. Please refer below links:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff464424%28office.14%29.aspx

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/c72b4c03-0b1f-4ece-9675-5a41d35e3c7a/bcs-connectivity-with-oracle-without-meta-man-in-sharepoint-2010-

Hope it could help

Hemendra:Yesterday is just a memory,Tomorrow we may never see
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help

Thursday, January 16, 2014 11:55 AM
  • it's unlikely that you're going to get a totally jargon free answer due to how this will need to be done.  The tool tha Dimiri has mentioned is a brilliant third party addon that'll help get the job done but it does have a cost.

If you have budget restraints, than you'll have to manually edit a connection file as linked in Hemmendra's post.

Any specific errors that you experience, you can of course post back here  for further advise.

Steven Andrews
    SharePoint Business Analyst: LiveNation Entertainment
    Blog: baron72.wordpress.com
    Twitter: Follow @backpackerd00d
    My Wiki Articles: CodePlex Corner Series
    Please remember to mark your question as "answered" if this solves (or helps) your problem.

Thursday, January 16, 2014 12:10 PM
    Answerer
  • It's very confusing.  I see Microsoft arcticles that specifically mentioning Oracle connections.

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/sharepoint-designer-help/add-a-database-as-a-data-source-HA010100908.aspx

David Jenkins

Thursday, January 16, 2014 1:49 PM
  • That link is for SharePoint 2007, which was the first version of the technology to allow interaction and integration with external systems.  I think (going entirely from memory here) the manner that was most useful for connecting with Oracle in SPD 2007 was removed in 2010.  This having to resort to technological dark arts.  Let's start with some basics and try to establish a baseline

1. What version of SharePoint are you using?
    2. What version of Oracle are you using?

Steven Andrews
    SharePoint Business Analyst: LiveNation Entertainment
    Blog: baron72.wordpress.com
    Twitter: Follow @backpackerd00d
    My Wiki Articles: CodePlex Corner Series
    Please remember to mark your question as "answered" if this solves (or helps) your problem.

Thursday, January 16, 2014 1:55 PM
    Answerer
  • Thank you for your help.  I'm such a noob when it comes to mixing Oracle with Microsoft. 

SharePoint 2010 Foundation

Oracle 11 something or other.  I'd have to actually ask the DBA's.  I have the Oracle 11g R2 client.

---------

The baseline of my story.  We have a huge Oracle shop.  Developer resources are tight.  Engineers take it upon themselves to develop applications useful to themselves.  Biggest problem is the Engineers don't have a decent platform to develop on so they end up using Excel.  Because they use Excel it isn't very WAN friendly and apps have a tendency to grow beyond one region.  Because they do become desired in other regions they usually end up being thrown on my Citrix boxes just to keep things functioning properly.  This happens so much we are out of resources in the Citrix environment with no desire to spend the cash and grow the farm.  So I'm trying to find tools that end users can use to develop in that will not cost anything and will be relatively easy to use.

So far I've been attempting to work out a combination of:

SharePoint and SharePoint Designer
    Powershell for backend processing of SharePoint data
    SQL Reporting Services

I use a combination of these three with great success but I live in the Microsoft world so everything works as expected, most of the time.

I'm basically caught between expenses keeping things from growing and the needs of end users to perform their tasks.

Thursday, January 16, 2014 2:04 PM
  • David, SharePoint 2010 Foundation does not support BCS, that would be required to connect to Oracle. However, if you are using SQL Server Reporting Services, you can install the Oracle client and access the dataset from SSRS, and then display it within SharePoint.

Thursday, January 16, 2014 2:53 PM
  • Thursday, January 16, 2014 2:55 PM
  • As Steven mentioned, that was functionality in SharePoint 2007 but was removed in 2010 since the new enhanced BCS model was rolled out.

The following article provides steps to access Oracle from SSRS: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/834305

Thursday, January 16, 2014 3:04 PM