BranchCache segment discovery RRS feed

• Question

• Reading on BranchCache here I understand that the content is first divided into segment and then each segment is sub divided into blocks. Max segment size is 32 MB and each block is made of 64 KB. I understand that segment hashes provide a unit of discovery.

In that case if I have 2 files (file1 and file2) of say 15 MB with very little change the segment hashes would be different but most of the blocks will be same. How would BranchCache work? In case of differing segments will it still look for matching blocks or will simply retrieve the file from content server instead?

If say user1 downloaded file1 from the filer and the content was cached in the hosted BranchCache server and then user2 goes to the content server and tries to download file2 would he benefit from the BranchCache?

thanks,
    Jeevan
    Wednesday, October 14, 2009 1:42 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Thanks for the post.

Please understand that BranchCache verifies the download file accroding to the segment hash value, which means the file 2 won't benefit from the BranchCache if the hash value of the file 2 is different from the file 1.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Miles

• Marked as answer by Miles Zhang Friday, October 16, 2009 2:11 AM
    Thursday, October 15, 2009 8:45 AM