none
CHALLENGE: Create formula in Project - amount of work in given period of time RRS feed

• Question

• For my customer I would like to create two RAG indicators:

- one that warns for/calculates the number of uncompleted remaining hours of work in the past. (between today's date en start date)

- one that warns for/calculates the number of planned hours within the next six weeks timeframe (with project type being prospect or quotation)

Hope someone has an idea?

Sander

Friday, May 31, 2013 7:45 AM

Answers

• Hi,

First, sorry, but it's been quite a while since I have used and supported PWA, so I'll stich to the question on how to make this in Professional.

I did exactly understand your question you know; as I said, I programmed practically the same thing years ago. That is why I'm sure it can't be done with formulas in custom fields, sorry.

You do need some programming tool - VBA in Project or PSI or SQL in Server.

Greetings,

Friday, May 31, 2013 9:38 AM

All replies

• Hi Sander,

You have two possible soutions. One is to use the Cumulative Work lines in Task Usage, but that will leave quite some manual job to do, or to code a VBA procedure.

In fact, I wrote something very similar 12 years ago for a customer; it is definitely feasible.

Greetings,

Friday, May 31, 2013 8:16 AM
  • Hi Jan,

Thanks for your quick response. My goal is however, to display these RAG indicators in a PWA project center view, to inform higher management of the quality of the plans. Do you now a way this can be solved within the project custom field formula?

The first mentioned RAG indicator measures the business rule that if a certain amount of work is still planned in the past, the plan will be less reliable.

The second should reveal any projects that have work planned but still have a prospect status, and for this reason may not be planned in the near future until it becomes a signed order.

Sander

Friday, May 31, 2013 9:01 AM
  • Hi,

First, sorry, but it's been quite a while since I have used and supported PWA, so I'll stich to the question on how to make this in Professional.

I did exactly understand your question you know; as I said, I programmed practically the same thing years ago. That is why I'm sure it can't be done with formulas in custom fields, sorry.

You do need some programming tool - VBA in Project or PSI or SQL in Server.

Greetings,

Friday, May 31, 2013 9:38 AM
  • Hi Jan,

Thanks again for your quick answer. It cant be done is in this case an answer for me as well!

Thanks

Friday, May 31, 2013 12:18 PM