none
How do YOU define private cloud? RRS feed

• General discussion

• There are various definitions about Private Cloud out there.  Do you agree with them?  What other components are missing?

Remember, a Private Cloud is a combination of both technology and processes.  It is a HOW, not a what.  HOW do you use these technologies and process to create a Private Cloud?

The NIST definition: “Cloud Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS): The capability provided to the consumer is to provision processing, storage, networks, and other fundamental computing resources where the consumer is able to deploy and run arbitrary software, which can include operating systems and applications. The consumer does not manage or control the underlying cloud infrastructure but has control over operating systems, storage, deployed applications, and possibly limited control of select networking components…”  From: http://csrc.nist.gov/publications/drafts/800-145/Draft-SP-800-145_cloud-definition.pdf

The Microsoft definition: “Private cloud is the implementation of cloud services on resources that are dedicated to your organization, whether they exist on-premises or off-premises. With a private cloud, you get many of the benefits of public cloud computing—including self-service, scalability, and elasticity—with the additional control and customization available from dedicated resources.”  From: http://www.microsoft.com/virtualization/en/us/private-cloud.aspx

Thanks!
    Symon Perriman
    Technical Evangelist
    Private Cloud Technologies
    Microsoft

Friday, August 26, 2011 5:49 PM

All replies

• Private Clouds are more than simply a set of tools, but more about approaching the "problem" of IT, from a customer first, service oriented, and shared resource perspective.  It is causing internal IT to look at itself as a service provider, with products, customers, and costs.  At the end of the day, it allows IT to function in greater alignment with what the business is actually asking for. 

I feel like one of the best ways a company can start to engage the private cloud, in addition to determining toolsets, is to develop a service catalog.  This is a great step, as it causes IT to engage what they "do".  http://www.microsoft.com/events/podcasts/default.aspx?seriesID=Series-c462ef16-f398-455a-979f-c5cb3c5d4c6f.xml&pageId=x7623&source=Microsoft-Podcasts-about-IT-Manager-Connections:-Build-Business-and-Careers-on-the-Microsoft-Platform&WT.rss_ev=a

I also drafted this:

http://blog.concurrency.com/infrastructure/private-cloud-architecture-and-staffing/

Nathan Lasnoski

http://blog.concurrency.com/author/nlasnoski/
    Tuesday, September 6, 2011 6:35 PM
  • We drafted a cloud computing Wiki to provide more insight into specific aspects of cloud computing and private cloud computing:

What are the Benefits of Private Cloud Computing for Businesses?

How to Transition to the Cloud

and

Public vs. Private Cloud Computing

The wiki has more info on primary concerns including disaster recovery in the cloud, cloud computing security and more - you can view it here: 

http://www.onlinetech.com/resources/cloud-computing-wiki/item/33-public-vs-private-cloud-computing

Wednesday, September 7, 2011 8:46 PM
  • Great feedback and thanks for the links!  We certainly agree that the Cloud is not just hardware and technologies, but also processes.

My opinion is that the cloud is not just a WHAT, but a HOW.  HOW does one use the technologies in such as way to make it behave like a cloud, offering benefits such as automation, resource-pooling and self-service (along with many others).

The key technologies are Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 (with Hyper-V) and the System Center suite of products, yet they need to be utilized in such a way to make the datacenter behave like a Private Cloud.

For this reason it is not really possible to 'buy' a Private Cloud.  While it is possible to buy the technologies and hardware (such as through the Hyper-V Fasttrack program: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/server-cloud/private-cloud/hyperv-cloud-fast-track.aspx), it requires that special 'human touch' to implement the custom processes, though this can be achieved through partnering with Microsoft Consulting Services (http://www.microsoft.com/microsoftservices/en/us/cloud.aspx).

Thanks!
    Symon Perriman
    Technical Evangelist
    Private Cloud Technologies
    Microsoft

Friday, September 9, 2011 1:13 AM
  • From what I see out in the world is that the word "Cloud" is being slapped on just about anything today which can lead to some problems when looking at solutions for companies.  There are a lot of magazine and tech articles about how great it is, how much money they save, how they can just lower the axe on entire IT departments because of rush to the cloud. 

What ever "Cloud" fluffy or otherwise, it is still a collection of servers, storage and networking providing a foundation to offer services, applications, and data.  There are great strides in this as new tech continues to bubble forth.

What companies don't seem to think about is some of the reprocussions of jumping to the "Cloud", who owns your data? who controls your business processes? What is your expected uptimes and service levels?  I would expect that the bar on high avaliblilty .9's will be upped and improvements in this arena in the coming months/years.

What I see going on is many hosting companies have now slapped "Cloud" stickers on top of the sales brochures and are still offering what amounts to co-location, managed hosting, or application services.

It is possible to buy a private cloud? Yes, according to one company, they drag a container full of servers to your location, hook it up and you deploy into it, at certain aspects of hardware failure, they drag another container in and dupe it over and haul the other off.

There are advantages to moving applications and process out to the Cloud environments, my current and last roles were Cloud administration/infrastructure based.  There are some pitfalls as their are many major applications on the market where the developers have not allowed flexibilty in the installation and configuration of their product that keeps them tied to a physical and costly plaftform.

I think overall that this is a new coinage of a process overall, people must keep a good and even keel with evaluating thier business and data and what is valuable to them.

On the other foot, there are still many, many applications and process that a unable to move to the cloud, lack of internets, lack of physical interfaces to accomidate process/monitors/input devices.

A private Cloud in essence should be a resource for applications and data that a company can leverage, with the words "Private" being operative in that the customer retains all control and rights to their data and information.  A private cloud should contain only that which is prudent to the operations of said company, it is not a inroad for others to come solicite you for snacks, or pills.  In a private cloud, the only usage data and metrics of the system as whole should only be used by the company to look at performance of the environment, and the cloud provider to ensure it's SLA's.

Lets take a hypothetical company, call it Moogle, and look at all the wonderful little toys and apps that they serve up, sure bring your corporate emails, information, documents, GIS information, at Moogle, they make it cheap cheap cheap!! look at the savings!  Now, just what happens with all your data while you sleep? why it metrics an raw behavior data is being sold and traded?  while looking at that corporate email, would you like a little advertising for some burrito's?  In this case, Moogle has turned your corporate cloud solution into an advertising vehicle into your company. 

My 2 cents so far this morning.

:P Advice offered, If you need more help it is advised to seek the council and advice of paid professionals. The answer is always 42, or reboot.
    Tuesday, September 13, 2011 3:14 PM
  • Hi Jason,

Nice insights regarding private cloud and architectural, management and operations considers you need to consider before jumping into private cloud.

Thanks!

Tom

MS ISDUA/UAG DA Anywhere Access Team Get yourself some Test Lab Guides! http://blogs.technet.com/b/tomshinder/archive/2010/07/30/test-lab-guides-lead-the-way-to-solution-mastery.aspx
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 7:04 PM
    Owner
  • On the more "What is a Cloud"

http://www.wired.com/wiredenterprise/tag/nebula/

Entire cloud on a USB stick, so is the "cloud" a datacenter filled with rows and rows of servers in racks? or is it something more flexible that is almost metamorphic in nature?, but at the end of the day, its still hardware somewhere.

Or the more horrifying future is that no individual OS for a hardware platform, just a giant conencted mass of computer power all unified under one giant OS using the computational power of millions of home pc's, handhelds, and servers filling datacenters... Who owns your data and information at that point? Everyone? no one?  Hello Skynet?

I just finshed reading and watching a company streaming session on how they are selling "cloud".  At then end of all that "selling" and telling those about it how great it is and what not, I realized they were doing nothing more than acting as middle men reselling someone else's products.  They didn't own an actual server anywhere, just the laptops they carry, everything about thier cloud was just managed hosting at someone else's colocation facility.

From a lot of the articles I have been reading, (Kudos MS cloud guys for writing the last one i read in english aka easy to read) I see that a lot of folks are just slapping cloud on everything and seeing what sticks.

I have been reading up on "building clouds" and the hardware vendors are all a twitter about just how snazzy things are for thier said products.  But if you really look at it all, it breaks down to these basics as a platform:

1.  Ability for Global/Muliti location resources for attaining and keeping uptime to limit outages (Global redirectors, load balancers, dns weighting)

2.  Horsepower, a generic server chock full of ram and mulit core cpu's to provide the giddyup (whether a single server OS or running hyperv to support many on that platform

3.  Data storage, somehow you have bits, they have bits, and we have bits, The ability to move bits from a to b and store them.  When you get to look at multi site locations, you need the ability to have your bits replicated.

4.  Bandwidth, The need for more and more bandwith, support of front ended users, servers sharing information between each other, and what is becoming really appartent is data replication.  The more data, the more you need to mirror, or copy per say 2PB of data from site a to site b, in case a site is taken offline, you are up to snuff 1 to 1 on data at your b site.

5.  Security, is my bits secure? I don't want to spread by bits about, I don't want another cloud user seeing my bits for storage, and security to the point that I don't want the server guy at the cloud data center having access to my bits.  how it's protected.

6. Costs, it costs money to rack servers, power them, staff the datacenters, purchase the software, etc.. that makes it all go.

This is a light overview, I am guessing we will see more evolve on this as a whole, it would not surprise me if Amazon, Google, Oracle and MS come forth with some sort of "cloud" operating guidlines or common standard practice to allow diverse cloud interoperbilites.

:P Advice offered, If you need more help it is advised to seek the council and advice of paid professionals. The answer is always 42, or reboot.
    Thursday, September 29, 2011 7:00 PM
  • One interesting thing was an article I read over the weekend, about the development of a city based OS, using a private cloud that would manage all the city infrastructure components (Traffic lights, water pumps, sewage drain switch, main electrical, etc..) 

I would imagine implementation of such a thing would have massive security concerns, though sadly in real life I know of one major US city whos traffic light operations are controlled by an old Pentium D computer in a storm drain closet.... 

Monday, October 3, 2011 2:44 PM
  • Private clouds are built exclusively for a single enterprise. They aim to address concerns on data security and offer greater control, which is typically lacking in a public cloud. There are two variations to a private cloud:

On-premise Private Cloud: On-premise private clouds, also known as internal clouds are hosted within ones own data center. This model provides a more standardized process and protection, but is limited in aspects of size and scalability. IT departments would also need to incur the capital and operational costs for the physical resources. This is best suited for applications which require complete control and configurability of the infrastructure and security.

Externally hosted Private Cloud: This type of private cloud is hosted externally with a cloud provider, where the provider facilitates an exclusive cloud environment with full guarantee of privacy. This is best suited for enterprises that dont prefer a public cloud due to sharing of physical resources

Wednesday, December 21, 2011 10:32 AM