Stuck on "system is currently being updated...", RRS feed

• Question

• I am getting the following during bootup on Welcome screen on one computer that I have SteadyState installed on....

Warning:
    The system is currently being updated and will be shutdown when the updates are complete.

It seems to be stuck/frozen there.  How can I get around this?  I already restarted the computer by both the power button on computer tower and pulling the plug, but still boots to the aforementioned message and won't let me get past that window.

Please help.  This is on a hotel business center pc.  Thanks in advance!!!
    Friday, July 13, 2007 3:02 PM

Answers

• Depending on the updates being installed, updating can sometimes take a long time--this is why we run it at 3AM by default.  However, SteadyState will abort any script that takes longer than 30 minutes.  If this happens, you'll see an event in the event log.
    Sunday, July 15, 2007 4:17 PM
  •  

Hi Sande,

We can press Ctrl+Alt+Delete twice to show the logon window. After that, please check if we can log into the system with an administrator account. If this method doesn’t work, please redo the steps from Safe Mode. Under Safe Mode, please check if we can log in with the built-in Administrator account. ( Password is blank by default unless you have set it during the installation of the system)

If any other error message is encountered, please let me know and I will do more research on it.

Best Regards,

Monday, July 30, 2007 9:59 AM
  • Thanks for the prompt response.  Fortunately, the system finally got past that point by itself.  It apparently needed many hours both on and online.  (To that point, I had left it on, but not on the network.)

Which is good, because none of the things you suggested (logon window, Safe Mode) worked--I had tried them all.  I could not get to a logon window or boot in Safe Mode.

But now I'm stuck at another point, which I'll explain in a new thread.                        Sande

Monday, July 30, 2007 5:22 PM

All replies

• That's what happened to me and it's been over a week of efforts and I am still locked out. Look at the other threads comcerning logging in and starting up to try some of those ideas. Good Luck!!
    Friday, July 13, 2007 9:06 PM
  • The machine finally got past this message, but it did take quite a long time.
    Friday, July 13, 2007 9:07 PM
  • Depending on the updates being installed, updating can sometimes take a long time--this is why we run it at 3AM by default.  However, SteadyState will abort any script that takes longer than 30 minutes.  If this happens, you'll see an event in the event log.
    Sunday, July 15, 2007 4:17 PM
  • Can you tell us what "quite a long time" was?  I have a system that has been stuck on this message since July 12th (2.5 weeks now), and I can't figure out how to get control back. 

I'm almost to the point of wiping the hard drive and starting over, despite the fact that we need these print release stations *yesterday*.

Can anyone else from Microsoft provide any information on how to recover from this?  There's nothing in the handbook or in the technical FAQ on this.

In case anyone lost the thread, the error message is, "The system is currently being updated and will be shut down when the updates are complete."  It displays an OK button, but clicking it just brings up the message again.  I can see a Welcome login screen behind the dialog box, but it displays no account names or icons.

And I haven't found any way around this message, not even booting in Safe Mode.

Please help!          Sande

Monday, July 30, 2007 1:15 AM
  •  

Hi Sande,

We can press Ctrl+Alt+Delete twice to show the logon window. After that, please check if we can log into the system with an administrator account. If this method doesn’t work, please redo the steps from Safe Mode. Under Safe Mode, please check if we can log in with the built-in Administrator account. ( Password is blank by default unless you have set it during the installation of the system)

If any other error message is encountered, please let me know and I will do more research on it.

Best Regards,

Monday, July 30, 2007 9:59 AM
  • Thanks for the prompt response.  Fortunately, the system finally got past that point by itself.  It apparently needed many hours both on and online.  (To that point, I had left it on, but not on the network.)

Which is good, because none of the things you suggested (logon window, Safe Mode) worked--I had tried them all.  I could not get to a logon window or boot in Safe Mode.

But now I'm stuck at another point, which I'll explain in a new thread.                        Sande

Monday, July 30, 2007 5:22 PM
  • Boot into safe mode and log into your admin account

Go to start, run Type services.msc & click OK

Scroll all the way to the bottom and find Windows SteadyState Service

Double click it and select "Disabled" from the drop down menu.

Restart the machine

Open the services.msc and set SteadyState back to automatic (this will make the following change stick)

open steadystate, and turn off "Schedule Software Updates"

Perform your updates manually and you're good to go!
    Wednesday, December 9, 2009 10:10 PM