Word 2013 COM automation fails to open file when offline RRS feed

• Question

• I'm getting a weird error the I'm guessing may be related to OneDrive integration in Word 2013.

I've got a Python script that uses COM Automation to get Word to open a .DOC/.DOCX file (the script should then paste something into the very first line, save the document, and close it).  When I'm online everything works great.  While using Word 2010 everything worked great, online and offline.  

When I'm on the bus (and, therefore, offline - there's no WiFi/Clearwire/etc for my laptop) the script fails, and it fails specifically at the  line where I try to do the following:

wordapp.Documents.Open("path_To_File\file.doc");

The directory that contains the file is in OneDrive; it is marked as being "Available Offline".  

My guess is that when Word 2013 is not on a network it's having trouble with the OneDrive integration.  

I'd love any advice on either fixing this or what to look for next to better diagnose this problem.

Thursday, July 10, 2014 8:11 PM

All replies

• Hi,

This issue more about Script, if you want more profession suggestion, please post it in TechNet Script Forum.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/scriptcenter/en-US/home?forum=ITCG

The reason why we recommend posting appropriately is you will get the most qualified pool of respondents, and other partners who read the forums regularly can either share their knowledge or learn from your interaction with us. Thank you for your understanding.

Greta Ge CHN
    TechNet Community Support

• Edited by mario gee Monday, July 14, 2014 2:29 AM
    Monday, July 14, 2014 1:12 AM