none
What is main purpose of ADDS in windows server 2012

Question

• Hello

I don't have much knowledge about window server 2012. I have just installed window server 2012. There is features in server, active directory domain service. I have  just installed ADDS on computer.  by reading I understand that ADDS is used to store information about computer , user, organizations, sites..etc

For example: suppose I have three PCs SYM1 , SYM2 and SYM3 . All PCs have installed window server 2012

SYM1 : Admin PC ( ADDS installed)

SYM2 : user

SYM3 : user

can anyone explain with example , If I install ADDS in SYM1 , what can I do with user ?

• Moved by nzpcmad1 Saturday, April 29, 2017 8:21 PM From ADFS
    Saturday, April 29, 2017 6:33 PM

Answers

• Just to clarify and add to the other replies:

When you install ADDS on a computer with a Windows Server operating system, it becomes a domain controller. When you configure your first domain controller you give your domain a name. All other computers in the same network should join the domain. You can have any number of domain controllers in your domain (servers with adds). And any number of computers with a client operating system such as Windows 10, can join the domain. Any servers without ADDS can also join the domain, and they are called member servers. Member servers might have other services, like Exchange or SQL Server.

With your domain you have one distributed database of user, computer, group, and other objects. This database is called Active Directory. The database is replicated to all domain controllers in the domain. Then any domain user can log into any domain joined computer (client or server) with the same credentials. Any one of the domain controllers can authenticate the user, because they all have essentially the same database.

The mmc called Active Directory Users and Computers (ADUC) is used to browse and create objects in Active Directory, such as users, computers, and groups. The links Burak provided should describe all of this.

Richard Mueller - MVP Enterprise Mobility (Identity and Access)

• Proposed as answer by Dave PatrickMVP Saturday, April 29, 2017 9:38 PM
    • Marked as answer by vead123 Sunday, April 30, 2017 3:42 AM
    Saturday, April 29, 2017 9:19 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Active Directory serves as a central location for network administration and security. It is responsible for authenticating and authorizing all users and computers within a network of Windows domain type, assigning and enforcing security policies for all computers in a network and installing or updating software on network computers. For example, when a user logs into a computer that is part of a Windows domain, it is Active Directory that verifies his or her password and specifies whether he or she is a system administrator or normal user. 
    Active Directory gives you a centralised means of controlling that access. When someone wants to log in to a computer or connect to a share, the computer will ask an Active Directory domain controller to do that authentication instead of doing it itself .

The most commonly used objects are users, computers, and groups. These objects can be organized into organizational units (OUs) by any number of logical or business needs. Group Policy Objects (GPOs) can then be linked to OUs to centralize the settings for various users or computers across an organization.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    If you found this post helpful, please give it a "Helpful" vote. 
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    (nedimmehic.org)

Saturday, April 29, 2017 6:43 PM
  • Hello

I don't have much knowledge about window server 2012. I have just installed window server 2012. There is features in server, active directory domain service. I have  just installed ADDS on computer.  by reading I understand that ADDS is used to store information about computer , user, organizations, sites..etc

For example: suppose I have three PCs SYM1 , SYM2 and SYM3 . All PCs have installed window server 2012

SYM1 : Admin PC ( ADDS installed)

SYM2 : user

SYM3 : user

can anyone explain with example , If I install ADDS in SYM1 , what can I do with user ?

Hi

Start reading from these;

Active Directory Domain Services

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc770946(v=ws.10).aspx

What's New in Active Directory Domain Services (AD DS)

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh831477(v=ws.11).aspx

This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees,and confers no rights. Best regards Burak Uğur

Saturday, April 29, 2017 8:45 PM
  • Just to clarify and add to the other replies:

When you install ADDS on a computer with a Windows Server operating system, it becomes a domain controller. When you configure your first domain controller you give your domain a name. All other computers in the same network should join the domain. You can have any number of domain controllers in your domain (servers with adds). And any number of computers with a client operating system such as Windows 10, can join the domain. Any servers without ADDS can also join the domain, and they are called member servers. Member servers might have other services, like Exchange or SQL Server.

With your domain you have one distributed database of user, computer, group, and other objects. This database is called Active Directory. The database is replicated to all domain controllers in the domain. Then any domain user can log into any domain joined computer (client or server) with the same credentials. Any one of the domain controllers can authenticate the user, because they all have essentially the same database.

The mmc called Active Directory Users and Computers (ADUC) is used to browse and create objects in Active Directory, such as users, computers, and groups. The links Burak provided should describe all of this.

Richard Mueller - MVP Enterprise Mobility (Identity and Access)

• Proposed as answer by Dave PatrickMVP Saturday, April 29, 2017 9:38 PM
    • Marked as answer by vead123 Sunday, April 30, 2017 3:42 AM
    Saturday, April 29, 2017 9:19 PM