Migrate My Views, RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I was wondering if there was an easy way of migrating all our users My Views from one PAS repository to another.  I have a current 6.0 PAS pointing to a SQL2000 server repository db which is going to be replaced by 6.2 PAS pointing to a SQL2005 server repository db.  I have all teh necessary libraries and books on the new 6.2 PAS but I don't have everyones My Views.

Thanks

Andy
    Wednesday, April 2, 2008 10:38 AM

Answers

• Hi Andy,

As you are probably well aware, migrating content from SQL / AS 2000 to SQL / AS 2005 is no simple task.  Also, there is no tool to allow for easy migration of My Views but it can be acheived through other methods.  You might be able to acheive this task with success by following a few processes which I will outline below.  To migrate your My Views I suggest doing the following:

•   You can expose the ‘My Views' hidden library within your SQL repository. (As you are well aware, if you ever need to make changes to a user's My Views, or you want to add something to every user's My Views using the Professional client, you cannot because the My Views library is hidden.) However, you can make some changes that will make that library "un-hidden". In order to do so:

1 - Open ProClarity_PAS database on SQL server, right click the Libraries table and return all rows

2 - Find the record with the Caption of "FAVORITES"

3 - Alter the GUID from {1F823801-C6F2-11d4-81F6-444553540001} to {1F823801-C6F2-11d4-81F6-444553540000} (simply change the 1 at the end to a different number) and the TYPE to "BRIEFINGBOOK"

4 - Refresh the SQL databases folder, and refresh PAS in the Admin Tool and you should now see the FAVORTIES library show up.

5 - You can now access your end users My Views using the Professional client or Admin Tool, and make any changes and republish them. (The My Views library should appear within your Admin Tool under a FAVORITES library if I remember correctly.)  This way, you can insert a page that you want all your end users to have in their MY VIEWS; or you can update connection information on the MY VIEWS, or change the Shared Items used in those views. This may be the best way for you to go about moving your My Views.  This process essentially makes the My Views appear as Briefing Books so that your users can save the books locally (File / Save Book As / .bbk file) and then republish them to the new database / PAS repository when it’s up and running.

Since you're migrating data from SQL 2000 to SQL 2005 you will probably run into some road blocks due to the differences in the 2005 cube structure. You'll more than likely need to run the Missing Data Wizard on the My Views after they've been migrated to accomodate any structural changes the cube has undergone.  That being said, you will also want to ensure you're running the latest 6.3 hotfix version of ProClarity, as it contains features that accomodate updating My Views xml data.  If you keep the same cube / dimension / hierarchy names you will have better luck with content migration.  Good luck! 

HTH

Regards,

Amanda Ruffner

Wednesday, April 2, 2008 2:26 PM

All replies

• Hi Andy,

As you are probably well aware, migrating content from SQL / AS 2000 to SQL / AS 2005 is no simple task.  Also, there is no tool to allow for easy migration of My Views but it can be acheived through other methods.  You might be able to acheive this task with success by following a few processes which I will outline below.  To migrate your My Views I suggest doing the following:

•   You can expose the ‘My Views' hidden library within your SQL repository. (As you are well aware, if you ever need to make changes to a user's My Views, or you want to add something to every user's My Views using the Professional client, you cannot because the My Views library is hidden.) However, you can make some changes that will make that library "un-hidden". In order to do so:

1 - Open ProClarity_PAS database on SQL server, right click the Libraries table and return all rows

2 - Find the record with the Caption of "FAVORITES"

3 - Alter the GUID from {1F823801-C6F2-11d4-81F6-444553540001} to {1F823801-C6F2-11d4-81F6-444553540000} (simply change the 1 at the end to a different number) and the TYPE to "BRIEFINGBOOK"

4 - Refresh the SQL databases folder, and refresh PAS in the Admin Tool and you should now see the FAVORTIES library show up.

5 - You can now access your end users My Views using the Professional client or Admin Tool, and make any changes and republish them. (The My Views library should appear within your Admin Tool under a FAVORITES library if I remember correctly.)  This way, you can insert a page that you want all your end users to have in their MY VIEWS; or you can update connection information on the MY VIEWS, or change the Shared Items used in those views. This may be the best way for you to go about moving your My Views.  This process essentially makes the My Views appear as Briefing Books so that your users can save the books locally (File / Save Book As / .bbk file) and then republish them to the new database / PAS repository when it’s up and running.

Since you're migrating data from SQL 2000 to SQL 2005 you will probably run into some road blocks due to the differences in the 2005 cube structure. You'll more than likely need to run the Missing Data Wizard on the My Views after they've been migrated to accomodate any structural changes the cube has undergone.  That being said, you will also want to ensure you're running the latest 6.3 hotfix version of ProClarity, as it contains features that accomodate updating My Views xml data.  If you keep the same cube / dimension / hierarchy names you will have better luck with content migration.  Good luck! 

HTH

Regards,

Amanda Ruffner

Wednesday, April 2, 2008 2:26 PM
  • Hi Amanda,

Yes that seems to have unhidden the Favourites library.  Unfortunately our AS2005 database is slightly different (different hierarchies, named sets etc) so we'll have to amend these by hand when re-publishing.

Thanks

Andy
    Thursday, April 3, 2008 12:31 PM