Logon on screen won't appear RRS feed

• Question

• I have a client who has an ACER ASPIRE 5050 laptop running Windows XP Service Pack 3.  Windows XP will boot past the Windows XP splash screen and to the point where the logon screen should appear, but never does.  The logon screen also does not appear in Safe Mode.  So there is no way to log on to the laptop.  So far, I've done the following:

1) Changed the logon type from Welcome Screen to Windows Classic by editing the registry via ERD Commander

2) Used a Windows XP Service Pack 3 disk to repair system files by booting to the disk and selecting install fresh copy of Windows option, then selecting repair.

3) Booted to a Windows XP Service Pack 3 disk and entered the Recovery Console.  From there I deleted the registry files in the Windows\config folder and replaced them with registry files from previous restore points and eventually  replaced them with the default registry files from the Windows\repair folder.

After all the above I'm stumped.  Anyone have any other suggestions?

Monday, September 27, 2010 11:39 PM

Answers

• Found the answer.  Able to get updated ERD Commander that had a better System Restore interface.  Finally found one restore point that worked. 
    • Marked as answer by avisoteck Sunday, October 3, 2010 2:02 AM
    Sunday, October 3, 2010 2:01 AM

All replies

• When you get to the blank screen. can you hit Ctrl alt and del open up task manager. Click file then (new task)Run and type in explorer. Does this bring up the login screen ?

www.mypchealth.co.uk
    Tuesday, September 28, 2010 9:08 AM
  • No. Ctrl-Alt-Del does not work either.
    Friday, October 1, 2010 11:26 PM
  • Found the answer.  Able to get updated ERD Commander that had a better System Restore interface.  Finally found one restore point that worked. 
    • Marked as answer by avisoteck Sunday, October 3, 2010 2:02 AM
    Sunday, October 3, 2010 2:01 AM
  • User accounts is where you set this feature, but there is a subsection of the screen saver settings where this can be altered, also.
    "http://support.microsoft.com/fixit/default.aspx/". This is MICROSOFT'S new, FREE, fully automated, anonymous support portal, which can help users resolve windows and other product issues with a few mouse clicks. BOOKMARK THIS SITE, EVERYBODY !!!
    Tuesday, December 21, 2010 10:25 PM