Vista RC1 and XP RRS feed

• Question

• I am wondering, If I install Windows Vista RC1 as a second OS, will I be able to go back to XP and everything run normally?

Sunday, October 29, 2006 3:36 PM

All replies

• Hi,

As long as you install Vista on a second partition, seperate from XP, you will not have any problems.

On start up, you will have a boot menu to choose which OS you want to use.

I've got XP installed on the original C: Drive and Vista on the D: Drive.

Watch out though, when you start Vista, it will reassign the drive letters so that Vista becomes Drive C and your old C drive will take another letter.

Also be careful where you install other programs to, don't overwrite anything that you might be using in XP.

Tip: Backup your XP system before you do anything, just in case !!

Steven
    Wednesday, November 1, 2006 12:05 AM
  • Venom,

Dual or even multiple OS boot can and does work.

The key is to ensure that the older OS must be installed first (XP) and as already advised you will need spearate partitions/drives for each OS/programmes and preferably a shared (but separate) partition/drive for files etc, that way you can install programmes for each OS on their own drive and share files/documents:

ie. Drive/partition 1 - 50Gb+ - Install XP, Drive/partition 2 - 50Gb+ for Vista, Drive/Partition 3 - as big as you need for files.

I would strongly suggest visiting another forum Pronetworks and use VistaBootPro to help sort out dual boot options. This forum has many people who have multiple boot options and they can help get it set-up for you, as there are important tips on installing Vista as dual boot that are too lengthy for a simple post (i.e. how to install as dual boot and not overwrite/upgrade XP....etc..)

This is a link to the Pronetworks site: http://www.vistabootpro.org/index.php

Ridesy

Wednesday, November 1, 2006 2:59 PM