none
Can all Group Policies be disabled on a 2008 R2 Server While new policies are being developed?

Question

• Our organization has a SBS 2011 server in which the GPO files have been corrupted. We are planning to Create new GPO's to replace the corrupted files since the corrupted files cannot be edited. Is there any reason why the existing GPO's should not be deleted before the new ones are created other than the obvious security hole while the new GPO's are being implemented? The server is in use 24/7 and we don't want to do anything that would compromise user access.

Thanks for taking the time to read my post.

Wednesday, March 22, 2017 6:28 PM

All replies

• Hi,
    I assume that this server is not a domain controller and a standalone server , Generally speaking, in spite of the special policy setting which you configured depending on your requirement, for normal windows server, the default group policy is enforced with some security policies in local , if you delete it, the obvious security hole may be showed.
    For SBS 2011 server, as far as I know, when you install it, you'll see that a number of defaults Group Policy has a lot of ready-to-go configuration items for typical environments. The Group Policy configuration could be referred from:
    http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/the-enterprise-cloud/windows-small-business-server-2011-default-group-policy-configuration/
    Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.
    You could check these settings to see if they could help you figure out some impact and you could compare this with your new GPO to see if these settings are configured.
    In addition, in my opinion, detail impact would be hard to forecast depending on your detail environment configuration on server, what we could suggest to do is to prepare and TEST fully before you take action into your business environment.
    Best regards,
    Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Thursday, March 23, 2017 7:03 AM
  • Hi,

I am checking how the issue is going, if you still have any questions, please feel free to contact us.

And if the replies as above are helpful, we would appreciate you to mark them as answers, and if you resolve it using your own solution, please share your experience and solution here. It will be greatly helpful to others who have the same question.

Appreciate for your feedback.

Best regards,

Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Monday, March 27, 2017 8:21 AM