none
Floppy format issue RRS feed

• Question

•  

I posted this before but was not able to find the posting

I am using windows xp pro sp2 with steadystate 2.5.  We have about 10 machines deployed using a combination of local policy and steadystate.  We allow users to save data to either USB or to floppy drives.  We have come across a bug that when you insert a floppy drive it prompts you to format it.  After formatting the user is able to save their work to the floppy drive.   When the user comes back a day or two later then try to retrieve the data from the floppy drive and the computer does not recognize the the floppy drive disk and wants to user to format it again.

We can log into these machines as an administrator and we can view the data on the floppy disk but for some reason when the user logs in Steadystate does not allow us to view the data.  Is there some type of permissions issue that is going on?

Anyone know of a fix for this? Thank you.

Tuesday, June 10, 2008 12:35 PM

Answers

• What is your OS ? Which type your administrator is(Build-in: say, "Administrator" or non build-in: some other user which is belonged to Administrator group) ?And how do you create your limited user(by WSS or Windows)?

Here is my steps:

I have tried this on XP Pro SP2. and installed my WSS on a non build-in administrator: "Admin".

I created 2 limited users, one is done by WSS and the other is by Windows.

And make restrict as you described: only "A" and "F"(I got 3 partitions on my machine) are allowed to access. 

Log on as this two users, inserted a floppy disk and tried to read or write some data on it. Everything went well.

Thursday, June 12, 2008 9:00 AM

All replies

• What restrictions have you made on "Computer restrictions" and "Windows Restrictions"? Did you hide any Drives for limited user? A steady, clear repro steps will help our to figure this issue out.

Wednesday, June 11, 2008 8:12 AM
  •  

I only allow the users to save their data to either a floppy drive or USB drive.  I have "A" and "E" as allowed drives for them to save data.  The account they are using is a standard windows user.

Wednesday, June 11, 2008 6:07 PM
  • What is your OS ? Which type your administrator is(Build-in: say, "Administrator" or non build-in: some other user which is belonged to Administrator group) ?And how do you create your limited user(by WSS or Windows)?

Here is my steps:

I have tried this on XP Pro SP2. and installed my WSS on a non build-in administrator: "Admin".

I created 2 limited users, one is done by WSS and the other is by Windows.

And make restrict as you described: only "A" and "F"(I got 3 partitions on my machine) are allowed to access. 

Log on as this two users, inserted a floppy disk and tried to read or write some data on it. Everything went well.

Thursday, June 12, 2008 9:00 AM
  • I am having the same issue.  It does not happen all the time just randomly.  It looks like the FAT tables on some of the disks get messed up. 

Any info would be great.

Monday, June 23, 2008 6:35 PM