none
Unable to Upgrade from Server 2012 Eval to R2 Licensed RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hello,

I've got a 2012 Std Eval server that has about 10 days left on it's eval period.  I have purchased r2 licenses and upgraded all my other servers from eval to r2 with no issue but this one is giving a message that I can't upgrade from 2012 std eval to r2 during the inplace upgrade for r2.  I've seen a few threads on validating the license with slmgr.vbs /dlv and it shows exactly what I have installed but I don't have a normal Windows Server 2012 Std license, only an R2 license that won't work on non r2 activations.  Is there a way around this message via the registry that I can apply to get past this message and upgrade to R2?  Thanks in advance!

Baker2011

Sunday, April 6, 2014 2:18 PM

All replies

• Hi,
    It seems that you cannot convert a current evaluation version to a different current retail version directly. You need to convert evaluation versions of windows server 2012 to full retail version of windows server 2012 and then upgrade it to windows server 2012 R2 retail version. For more detailed information, please refer to the link below:
    Upgrade Options for Windows Server 2012 R2

In addition, it seems that you need to contact microsoft support to activate Windows server 2012: http://support.microsoft.com/contactus/?ln=en-au

Best regards,
    Susie

Monday, April 7, 2014 8:12 AM
  • Thanks for the reply Susie, however, from the slmgr command I'm seeing this:

Says it is activate and licensed but yet the countdown is still going.  Any ideas why I'm licensed and activated but still in eval mode?  I've got a support email out to MS VLC to see if I can convert one of my R2 licenses down to Std 2012 so I can buy some more time and then upgrade to R2 with another license I've purchased.  Waiting to hear from them. 

Friday, April 11, 2014 2:28 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your reply and how is the things going now?

If you need further assistance, please feel free to let me know.

In addition, if you have solved this issue, I would appreciate it if you can share your experience with us.

Best regards,

Susie

Monday, April 21, 2014 2:18 AM