none
"System Reserved", "disk2s1" and "disk2s3" partitions. What is going on?!? RRS feed

• Question

• I have a 7200rpm hard drive that shows up as 3 separate partitions on my MacBook Pro desktop. They are "System Reserved", "Untitled 1" and "Untitled". When looking at them in the Disk Utility program, they show up as "System Reserved",  "disk2s1" and "disk2s3". I can't seem to find a way to wipe the drive and just have 1 partition. I don't need to save anything on it so it can all be deleted and consolidated. Not sure if this helps but the previous owner told me that he had accidentally erased another partition that prevented the hard drive from being reconsolidated. It also may have been a Windows boot drive. Any help in restoring this hard drive would be appreciated. Thank you.
    Friday, March 2, 2018 5:43 AM

All replies

• Have you considered wiping the disk clean and starting over?  You can use Diskpart to "clean" the drive.

You other choice is to search the internet for a disk utility that will accomplish your goal.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

Friday, March 2, 2018 10:53 AM
  • Hi,

I don't know much about Mac, but as I know, the reserved partition doesn't have a drive letter, but it contain important boot files, which are also stored here by default, although you could store them on the main Windows partition if you preferred.

The reserved partition include Boot Manager and Boot Configuration Data: When your computer starts, the Windows Boot Manager reads the boot data from the Boot Configuration Data (BCD) Store. Your computer starts the boot loader off of the System Reserved partition, which in turn starts Windows from your system drive. 

We don't recommend you to delete the reserved drive. You mentioned that someone has erased the boot drive, if it is corrupted, your system may encounter boot problem. Did you encounter problem when you normally boot your machine?

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, March 5, 2018 8:51 AM
  • Why are not asking this in an appropriate Apple forum?

Asking a question about an Apple computer in a Microsoft forum is totally illogical.  Apple use a completely different system for its disk layout and there is nothing close to it in any of the Windows systems.

Would you take your Harley Davidson motorcycle to a Mack truck shop for analysis and repair?

Monday, March 5, 2018 11:28 AM
  • If you have any problems, please feel free to contact me.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, March 6, 2018 7:45 AM