none
DNS resolution between different domain in the same IP range RRS feed

• Question

• So I have 2 servers running windows server 2012 r2, let's say server01 and server02

I installed AD DS with domain name abc.com in server01, and domain name xyz.com in server02 (under different forest)

I promoted both server to become domain controller on their respective domain.

When the configuration finished, I'm expecting that hosts in abc.com will not be able to resolve names in xyz.com and vice versa.

However when i tried to ping server01.abc.com and abc.com from server02, it is able to the resolve the ip address (however it doesn't work vice versa). This is not what i expected, or is this really the correct behavior?

FYI:

- this is a lab environment and i'm currently learning about DNS

- both server01 and server02 are in the same IP range

- server02 was initially part of abc.com domain, i disjoin it from abc.com then make it have its own domain xyz.com

- i had stub zone created on server02.xyz.com for abc.com, but it is no longer there, i deleted it and restarted server02 several times already

- server02 DNS config in the ethernet setting is pointing to itself (127.0.0.1)

- tried flushdns on server02 but it still able to resolve.

- no manual entry in hosts file

how come server02 can still resolve the name server01.abc.com and abc.com? 

please advise

Thursday, March 28, 2019 5:18 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Please run command ipconfig/flushdns in cmd on server02.

Best regards,

Travis

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Friday, March 29, 2019 6:42 AM
  • Hi,

Please run command ipconfig/flushdns in cmd on server02.

Best regards,

Travis

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Hi Travis,
    I've done that but still able to resolve. Nslookup shows the DNS server i am using is the server02 itself. no hosts file on this server as well.
    Friday, March 29, 2019 7:37 AM
  • Hi,

Please run nslookup -d2 server01.abc.com on server02. You can check the process of resolving. 

You can also clear cache on DNS server and check name serves.

Best regards,

Travis

Friday, March 29, 2019 7:49 AM
  • Hi,

Just checking in to see if the information provided was helpful.

Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,

Travis

Thursday, April 4, 2019 7:13 AM