WSUS and Windows 10: why Feature On Demand and language packs are automatically approved? RRS feed

• Question

• WSUS and Windows 10: why Feature On Demand and language packs are automatically approved?

Hi All,
    I'm facing an issue with the WSUS.
    It is set up to download these update classifications and auto approve them:
    -Critical updates
    -Definition updates
    -Feature packs
    -Security updates
    -Service packs
    -Tools
    -Update rollups
    -Updates

The languages selected for the downloaded packages are English and Italian.

Now, all works fine, but why WSUS automatically approve "feature on demand" and language packs of all languages existing in the world (for all windows 10 builds, even if I have only clients with windows 10 1709), if the clients doesn't need them?
    This cause all WSUS statistics to be confused; hundred of these packages are reported as "Not applicable" but approved.

These are some packages:

Is this a standard WSUS behavior?
    Wednesday, February 21, 2018 3:50 PM

Answers

• Yes, they will not be pushed automatically, only if a user installs them from the Settings app.

These are the actual language packs (display languages) and the capabilities that go together with them.

What you selected under the options (English & Italian) is for updates that support multiple languages (service UI components) and to download those additional language resources. English should always be selected.

Best regards,

Andrei

We could change the world, if God would give us the source code.

• Marked as answer by thenewmessiah Thursday, March 1, 2018 8:30 AM
    Wednesday, February 28, 2018 9:35 PM

All replies

• Hello,

Those updates belong to Updates classification. As you have set auto approve rule for Updates classifications, so they got approved. 

Please also refer to the link below to get more knowledge about this kind of updates:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/manufacture/desktop/features-on-demand-v2--capabilities

Regards,

Yan Li

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, February 22, 2018 3:04 AM
  • Thanks for your reply.

The Auto Approve rule should approve only packages for specific languages and specific Windows edition (x86, ia64, arm, etc.).

In my case, all clients have Windows 10 Pro English x64 build 1709.

Why WSUS automatically approve packages in all languages and for every windows edition (x86, ia64, arm)?

Moreover, the WSUS statistics reports that clients needs packages that are not managed by the Windows Update client (i.e. Italian Language Pack); this kind of packages are only installed if the end user manually install them from the "Region & language" setting page.
    In this case, the WSUS always report that clients are not fully updated.

Thursday, February 22, 2018 2:34 PM
  • Hello,

Auto approve rule should approve all updates in the selected classification and in the selected product to all group you selected. 

If you do not want to auto approve those updates, you may un-check below product:

Yan Li

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Yan Li_ Tuesday, February 27, 2018 5:24 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by thenewmessiah Tuesday, February 27, 2018 4:51 PM
    Friday, February 23, 2018 5:41 AM
  • I know this.

But why WSUS automatically approve packages for all existing language in the world if I have only selected download for Italian and English languages?

Moreover, I see these packages available for install at WSUS side, but the client doesn't see them in the Windows Update page.
    The only way to see them, is to go in the "Region & language" page, then "options" button of one of the languages available, then press the "download" button for the language pack.

Friday, February 23, 2018 10:11 AM
  • Hello,

In my point of view, Language pack is different from other updates, as although you are running a OS in English, but you can still have Chinese input and other language input. 

If you do not want to have other language pack, I suggest you modify your auto approve rule. 

Regards,

Yan 

Tuesday, February 27, 2018 5:24 AM
  • If you do not want to have other language pack, I suggest you modify your auto approve rule. 

There is a way to exclude language packs from the auto approve, leaving the auto approve for the other updates?

Tuesday, February 27, 2018 4:56 PM
  • Hello,

You can exclude Windows 10 Feature on demand product to work around this issue, but this may also lead to other updates that belong to that product do not get auto approved. 

In addition, I suggest you do not auto approve so many updates one time, as this may cause problems when your client try to install approved updates. 

Regards,

Yan Li

• Edited by Yan Li_ Wednesday, February 28, 2018 1:47 AM
    Wednesday, February 28, 2018 1:47 AM
  • So, just to be clear, if I want to manage "Feature on demand" updates, and WSUS automatically approve them, these "updates" will be available for the client, but they are not installed automatically until a client enable one of these feature?
    Is this right?

Anyway, in my case, I don't have selected "Feature on demand", but that packages are there.

Thanks for your support

Wednesday, February 28, 2018 2:52 PM
  • Yes, they will not be pushed automatically, only if a user installs them from the Settings app.

These are the actual language packs (display languages) and the capabilities that go together with them.

What you selected under the options (English & Italian) is for updates that support multiple languages (service UI components) and to download those additional language resources. English should always be selected.

Best regards,

Andrei

• Marked as answer by thenewmessiah Thursday, March 1, 2018 8:30 AM
    Wednesday, February 28, 2018 9:35 PM
  • Thanks for you support.

Would be nice if in a future update, WSUS was able to better manage these kind of "feature on demand" updates.

Is not good to see update statistics compromised by these kind of updates.

Thursday, March 1, 2018 8:32 AM
  • I think there are some changes coming so fingers crossed :).

Andrei

Thursday, March 1, 2018 9:09 PM