none
How do I add a shortcut to a program on the desktop when deploying software? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello All

I am looking for the most simple Newbie way of creating a short cut to a program that I install via SCCM 2007. Once the program is installed

to the targert computers I would like for any user who logs into the computer to be able to open the program from a desktop shortcut. One

things I do understand is that when pulling the program from its respective DP I would have to select the option to Download the program from the

DP and run localy becasue running from the DP would only DL the minimum required content for the install.

Thanks,

Phil

Phil Balderos

Sunday, March 31, 2013 1:08 PM

Answers

• Hi Phil,

you can try the simple script to add  shortcut to users desktop.

Change the favourites to desktop or what you need ,also change the eskonr.url to your shortcut filename to place.

Option Explicit
    dim path
    path=CreateObject(“WScript.Shell”).ExpandEnvironmentStrings(“%UserProfile%\Favorites”)
    dim objFSO
    set objFSO=CreateObject(“Scripting.FileSystemObject”)

objFSO.CopyFile “\\servername\favourites\eskonr.url”, path & “\”

Please click on "vote as Helpful" if you feel this post helpful to you.

Eswar Koneti | My Tech blog: www.eskonr.com | Linkedin: Eswar Koneti

• Marked as answer by vPhillip B Monday, April 1, 2013 1:40 AM
    Sunday, March 31, 2013 3:46 PM
  • Phil,

You can either create a "master" script that in addition to launching the install copies the shortcuts in question or use a separate package that has a program dedicated to copying the shortcuts and use a dependency.  Alternatively, you can also use a task sequence with two tasks, a software install task to launch your package/program and a command-line task to copy the shortcut.

Also, I would suggest copying shortcuts from the All Users/Public start menu instead of standard ones on a share.

I would refer you on following link to use group policy for deploy the sort cut, 

http://www.grouppolicy.biz/2011/04/screencast-how-to-use-group-policy-preferences-to-setup-up-shortcuts

Sharad Singh | My blogs: SharadTech | Twitter: @SinghSharaad | | Please mark as helpful/answer if this resolved your issue

• Marked as answer by vPhillip B Monday, April 1, 2013 1:39 AM
    Sunday, March 31, 2013 2:35 PM

All replies

• Phil,

if you want to create the sort cut then you will have to work on Application packaging tool, and you have to develop the  script, which will create the sort cut 

Sharad Singh | My blogs: SharadTech | Twitter: @SinghSharaad | | Please mark as helpful/answer if this resolved your issue

Sunday, March 31, 2013 1:40 PM
  • Hi Singh,

I have been looking on the internet for examples of scripts, as have no experince with creating these from scratch. Any suggestions?

Phil Balderos

Sunday, March 31, 2013 2:14 PM
  • Phil,

You can either create a "master" script that in addition to launching the install copies the shortcuts in question or use a separate package that has a program dedicated to copying the shortcuts and use a dependency.  Alternatively, you can also use a task sequence with two tasks, a software install task to launch your package/program and a command-line task to copy the shortcut.

Also, I would suggest copying shortcuts from the All Users/Public start menu instead of standard ones on a share.

I would refer you on following link to use group policy for deploy the sort cut, 

http://www.grouppolicy.biz/2011/04/screencast-how-to-use-group-policy-preferences-to-setup-up-shortcuts

• Marked as answer by vPhillip B Monday, April 1, 2013 1:39 AM
    Sunday, March 31, 2013 2:35 PM
  • Hi Phil,

you can try the simple script to add  shortcut to users desktop.

Change the favourites to desktop or what you need ,also change the eskonr.url to your shortcut filename to place.

Option Explicit
    dim path
    path=CreateObject(“WScript.Shell”).ExpandEnvironmentStrings(“%UserProfile%\Favorites”)
    dim objFSO
    set objFSO=CreateObject(“Scripting.FileSystemObject”)

objFSO.CopyFile “\\servername\favourites\eskonr.url”, path & “\”

Please click on "vote as Helpful" if you feel this post helpful to you.

Eswar Koneti | My Tech blog: www.eskonr.com | Linkedin: Eswar Koneti

• Marked as answer by vPhillip B Monday, April 1, 2013 1:40 AM
    Sunday, March 31, 2013 3:46 PM