AppV 4.6: Publish upgrade in offline mode RRS feed

• Question

• We use AppV 4.6 in offline mode because our licensing is per computer, not per user.  I've looked up how to update a sequence which makes a applicaiton_2.sft or higher number for each edit.  The final step it to upload it to the management console, which we are not using due to offline mode.  However, when existing installations of that sequence check in with the network share, they cannot load because they are still looking for application.sft rather than application_2.sft.  Is there a way to accomplish an automatic upgrade without using the management console?
    Thursday, March 14, 2013 8:41 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hello,

See the App-V 4.6 SP1 trail guide - it discusses the scenario of howto use the MSI-files in delivering the packages. That would be a possible scenario.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/appvirtualization/cc843994.aspx

Nicke Källén | The Knack| Twitter: @Znackattack

Friday, March 15, 2013 8:37 AM
  • There's some discussion on Active Upgrade without RTSP here: http://blog.stealthpuppy.com/deployment/app-v-faq-24-can-i-use-active-upgrade-without-rtsps/

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" or "Vote as Helpful" on the post that answers your question (or click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question). This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of my employer, Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Twitter: @stealthpuppy | Blog: stealthpuppy.com | The Definitive Guide to Delivering Microsoft Office with App-V

• Marked as answer by Mike Plichta Tuesday, March 19, 2013 7:58 PM
    Friday, March 15, 2013 8:41 AM
  • Thanks for the suggestion.  The MSI file installation method poses a problem in itself as it has a custom actions part which runs as the system account.  Since the system account does not have access to the content share, msi installs don't work at all unless the msi file is local.  I do not have the local drive space to copy the entire app to the c drive before install which also would break the streaming functionality of not having to load the entire app before running. 

Lastly, MSI installer don't provide for "active updates".  I already have the means the remove the old package and install a new one with Altiris.  I was hoping to have it auto get the update without me having to use my deployment console.  It turns out that I can't do this based on the link in the next post.  Thanks for responding though!

Tuesday, March 19, 2013 8:01 PM
  • This answers my question.  It turns out that Active Update only works through RTSP.  I'll have to manually remove my packages and install the updated packages.  Any by manually, I mean using my deployment console.
    Tuesday, March 19, 2013 10:00 PM