none
Problem installing Project 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to install Project Standard 2010 on a new ultrabook with Windows 7 64bit. Office 2007 is already installed and updated.  the first time I tried to install it it may have failed due to other things working in the background as the computer froze and I had to hard restart.  I tried to clean everything up but all subsequent attempts to install project have gotten nearly all the way through only to end with a message that it encountered errors during setup with no further explanation.  How can I get Project installed?  Thanks,

Glenn

Friday, May 4, 2012 10:16 PM

All replies

• Hello Glenn,

Try executing setup file using Run as administrator option.

What is the version of Project and Office, 32bit or 64 bit

Do you at least SP2 installed for Office 2007

Hrishi Deshpande – DeltaBahn Senior Consultant
    Blog | < | LinkedIn

Friday, May 4, 2012 10:39 PM
  • Hrishi

Restarting and executing the setup file using Run as administrator didn't work. 

I have MS Project Standard 2010, but it does not designate a 32 vs. 64.  Under minimum program requirements it says either OS 32 or 64 will work.  I have installed SP3 with Office 2007.  MS Office professional does not indicate that it is 32 or 64bit, so I assume it is 32 bit. 

Glenn

Saturday, May 5, 2012 12:15 AM
  • Glenn,

Copy Project Std 2010 setup files on your local hard drive

Navigate to start menu and select run

Browse the folder where setup files are stored, select setup file add switch /extract

Provide different folder name, once files are extracted try to install Project pro using extracted setup file

Also please navigate to C:\temp folder and look for the log file

Most likely the issue is with missing msi files of office security patches installed on the system

Blog | < | LinkedIn

Saturday, May 5, 2012 12:51 AM
  • Try fixing MSI issue using following FixIt solution

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971187

Blog | < | LinkedIn

Saturday, May 5, 2012 12:56 AM
  • Hrishi

I appreciate your help but I'm a layperson with the operating system actions.  Here are some questions:

When I look at the MS Project Standard 2010 disk directory I see 4 items: X64 folder, X86 folder, autorun icon, and setup application icon.  Which of these do I copy to my hard disk?

You say "select setup file add switch /extract."  I don't understand your directions.  Do I select the application file "setup" but how do I add switch /extract?  I understand how to extract zipped files from a compressed folder.

There is no C:\temp folder in the root directory of C.  There is a C:\windows\temp folder. 

If I go to the correct temp folder, which log file would I look for? 

On the missing MSI files, when I installed Office and restarted, the system followed with 66 updates during the restart.  If the problem is with missing MSI files, I don't know what to do about it.

Thanks,

Glenn

Saturday, May 5, 2012 1:10 AM
  • Trying this now.
    Saturday, May 5, 2012 1:23 AM
  • Hello Glenn,

From you desktop  or start menu right click on "Computer", select properties

Under system properties look for System type

Depending on your operating system you need to select the folder.

x86 represents 32 bit and x64 represents 64 bit

About the missing msi issue, yes result is expected.  After installing missing updates , try to install Project Std 2010

Blog | < | LinkedIn

Saturday, May 5, 2012 1:37 AM
  • I tried the fix it tool and selected the result shown that said MS Project...  I have a 64 bit system.  Icopied the x64 files to the system and installed them from there, but it didn't work.  No joy yet. 

Glenn

Saturday, May 5, 2012 3:10 AM
  • I got it to work by uninstalling Office 2007 first.  Now to install office 2007.  Thanks for your help.
    Saturday, May 5, 2012 3:24 AM
  • We may need  to repair or re-install office 2007

Blog | < | LinkedIn

Saturday, May 5, 2012 3:25 AM
  • Bingo.. we were thinking on the same line. I am glad to know that issue has been resolved.

Have a great weekend

Hrishi

Blog | < | LinkedIn

Saturday, May 5, 2012 3:26 AM