DVD trouble RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I have a Packard Bell Easynote MZ36 Notebook with a Core Duo processor, 1 GB RAM with an ATI Xpress 200 chipset. I have two problems

1) A few days ago, the USB ports started behaving strangely, Vista kept telling me that a USB device has malfunctioned when there was nothing plugged in. So I reinstalled the drivers through Device Manager and this problem went away, but ever since then, whenever I plugin a device, (flash drive, external HDD, iPod, etc) it tells me that the device could perform faster, i.e. it's not plugged into a USB 2.0 Port. this is really annoying, I get transfer speeds of 700-800 KBps now. I cannot find any solution to this. Can somebody help?

2) My DVD-RW drive (Matshita UJ-850D) is refusing to read many DVDs and CDs, all of which were burned on the same drive and which have read successfully many times in the past. The discs all read fine on other machines. All the discs are Memorex and MoserBaer media. With DVDs, it shows 0/0 free/occupied space and opening the drive from Explorer leads to an "I/O Device error". With CDs, it shows the entire disc as blank and unwritten. I think a firmware update will fix this but I have been unable to find one on the Web.

I've tried deleting the upper/lower filters solution and that didn;t work. All the discs were burned using Nero 8 in ISO non-multisesssion mode.

Thanks in advance
    Monday, June 9, 2008 7:12 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Regarding the #1, please try to reinstall the Chipset drivers to test this issue.

EasyNote MZ36 series

http://support.packardbell.com/uk/item/index.php?i=platform_argo_c2&g=2000

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Regarding the #2, I would like to let you know this error could be a result of a bad or corrupted device driver, a hardware problem, or a malfunctioning device. In order to narrow down the issue. Please confirm the following points:

1. Cleanly uninstall any third party CD/DVD burn software and restart the computer to check this issue.

2. Remove and reinstall Matshita drive.

Remove the Matshita drive

===========================

1. Click the Start Button, type devmgmt.msc in the Start Search box and press Enter.

2. Expand "DVD/CD-ROM drives".

3. Right click the Matshita drive, and click "Uninstall".

Then, please restart the computer and Windows will reinstall the drive automatically.

On the other hand, I found the following information on Panasonic support web:

DVD±R(RW) and Combo: (UJDA..., UJ-8x0..., UJ-8x1..., or UJ-8x2... series): please contact the PC manufacturer for latest drivers.

So, it is recommended that you contact Packard Bell to get the latest driver to test this issue. For your convenience, I have posted the link:

Packard Bell Support

http://support.packardbell.com/

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Hope it helps.

Wednesday, June 11, 2008 9:36 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Regarding the #1, please try to reinstall the Chipset drivers to test this issue.

EasyNote MZ36 series

http://support.packardbell.com/uk/item/index.php?i=platform_argo_c2&g=2000

Regarding the #2, I would like to let you know this error could be a result of a bad or corrupted device driver, a hardware problem, or a malfunctioning device. In order to narrow down the issue. Please confirm the following points:

1. Cleanly uninstall any third party CD/DVD burn software and restart the computer to check this issue.

2. Remove and reinstall Matshita drive.

Remove the Matshita drive

===========================

1. Click the Start Button, type devmgmt.msc in the Start Search box and press Enter.

2. Expand "DVD/CD-ROM drives".

3. Right click the Matshita drive, and click "Uninstall".

Then, please restart the computer and Windows will reinstall the drive automatically.

On the other hand, I found the following information on Panasonic support web:

DVD±R(RW) and Combo: (UJDA..., UJ-8x0..., UJ-8x1..., or UJ-8x2... series): please contact the PC manufacturer for latest drivers.

So, it is recommended that you contact Packard Bell to get the latest driver to test this issue. For your convenience, I have posted the link:

Packard Bell Support

http://support.packardbell.com/

Hope it helps.

Wednesday, June 11, 2008 9:36 AM
  •  

I have the second prob as well, but my notebook PC is of a different make and model: HP pavillion DV6000.

Everything worked fine up till about a week ago, when I couldn't read DVD or CD discs anymore.

Sunday, June 29, 2008 5:32 AM
  • Hi,

You can try to restore the computer to a early System Restore point to troubleshoot this issue.

In addition, you also can remove the CD/DVD/CD-RW Drive from Device Manager to test this issue.

Hope it helps.

Monday, June 30, 2008 10:26 AM