Managing 2 ISP connections via Server 2012 R2 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a server and 30 client computers. I have 2 ISP with default gateway address of 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.100.1. All of the client computers are on workgroup environment. Main problem I face every day is that when 1 ISP connection is down, I visit every client PC and connect them to other ISP connection. Is there anyway in windows server 2012 that can accept 2 ISP connections and then transfer it to client computers and when 1 ISP go down, it automatically transfers client computers on other network. Please guide me step by step procedure and any hardware change or addition like how many NIC cards will be used.

Regards.

Wednesday, November 9, 2016 3:41 PM

Answers

• Hi Aamir,

>>Then will this NIC teaming procedure work anyway to control traffic and prevent network connectivity loss when client PCs are not part of a server?

Teaming was configured on a sever with serval adapters, it is not related with client.

For two ISP connection, you could configure specific router to achieve the goal, like duplexedbackup.

Best Regards

John

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Edited by John Lii Friday, November 11, 2016 7:59 AM
    • Marked as answer by Aamir Karim Thursday, December 8, 2016 4:17 PM
    Friday, November 11, 2016 7:03 AM

All replies

• Hi Aamir,

>>Main problem I face every day is that when 1 ISP connection is down, I visit every client PC and connect them to other ISP connection.

The best way is that you could achieve the goal by using physical network device.

Here is additional information for your reference:

NIC Teaming Overview

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh831648(v=ws.11).aspx

Best Regards

John

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, November 10, 2016 5:47 AM
  • John Lii

Thank you for your time. I am studying NIC teaming topic as you suggested. But just have a quick question, As I mentioned that all of the clients computers are not on domain environment. they are independent. Then will this NIC teaming procedure work anyway to control traffic and prevent network connectivity loss when client PCs are not part of a server?

Thank you once again.

Thursday, November 10, 2016 3:59 PM
  • Hi Aamir,

>>Then will this NIC teaming procedure work anyway to control traffic and prevent network connectivity loss when client PCs are not part of a server?

Teaming was configured on a sever with serval adapters, it is not related with client.

For two ISP connection, you could configure specific router to achieve the goal, like duplexedbackup.

Best Regards

John

• Edited by John Lii Friday, November 11, 2016 7:59 AM
    • Marked as answer by Aamir Karim Thursday, December 8, 2016 4:17 PM
    Friday, November 11, 2016 7:03 AM
  • Thanks.

Finally it solved my problem. Thanks for your time John Lii.

Thursday, December 8, 2016 4:17 PM
  • Hi Aamir,

You are welcome.

If there is anything else we can do for you, please feel free to post in the forum.

Best Regards

John

Friday, December 9, 2016 5:55 AM