W2k8 R2 WSUS Server very slow to DL Updates from Microsoft RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I've got an issue on my WSUS Server, it takes a lot of time to DL only 1.5 GB of updates from Microsoft.

I've ever check my wan connection by downloading an service pack on microsoft website & I had 2MB/s speed. So it's not my wan connection.

BITS Protocol is not implemented on my server so all bandwidth is open.

For example to DL 1 MB it takes 10 min...!

What can I do ?

Regards

Tuesday, April 5, 2016 8:55 AM

Answers

• That's fair enough.

That being the case though, there's not much more I can easily work through. The next things to check would be:

• The Event log, notably the System, Application and Bits-Client logs (BITS being found under the Applications and Services Logs/Microsoft/Windows node).
    • WindowsUpdate.log file under %windir%, as even though it's the client log, it uses the same interfaces (such as BITS) and often shares errors with Update Services.
    • The Update Services log files, which from memory are under the Update Services installation directory.
    • Process Monitor can be useful for identifying bottlenecks, however, it gets a bit tricker with the number of different system processes involved with something like WSUS.
    • If you're feeling brave, break out something like Netmon or Message Analyzer and inspect the requests directly.

I have to say, I feel like this is still going to relate to BITS throttling. If you're sure there's no policies being applied locally or from the domain then you can try using the local group policy editor (gpedit.msc) on the WSUS host to explicitly disabling the BITS bandwidth throttling policy found at "Computer Configuration/Administrative Templates/Network/Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS)/Limit the maximum network bandwidth for BITS background transfers" and seeing if that helps.

Cheers,
    Lain

Tuesday, April 5, 2016 12:57 PM
  • I don't know how but during the night all the updates had been downloaded..
    Thursday, April 7, 2016 2:25 PM

All replies

• Hi

Do you download the express installation files ? (under options / update files and languages first tab) 

If yes try the "download update files to this server only when updates are approved " 

Tuesday, April 5, 2016 11:13 AM
  • No, Just updates approved
    Tuesday, April 5, 2016 11:18 AM
  • Hi Frederic,

BITS is used by WSUS exclusively. There is no other mechanic used to pull down updates from the online service, so it's defintely being used.

While you haven't personally configured anything to do with it, you should still perhaps check if any BITS group policy settings have been applied to the WSUS host through using either the GPMC (to produce a resultant set of policy report remotely) or gpresult (to produce a similar HTML report locally). Particularly those that relate to bandwidth throttling.

You should also check the BITS download job queue through using the bitsadmin.exe command line utility to inspect individual jobs. You can get inline help through typing "bitsadmin /?".

Cheers,
    Lain

• Edited by Lain Robertson Tuesday, April 5, 2016 11:37 AM Fixing grammar.
    Tuesday, April 5, 2016 11:36 AM
  • bitsadmin.exe /LIST returns no current jobs

No GPO or other settings are enabled to modify bits...

Tuesday, April 5, 2016 11:45 AM
  • Hi Frederic,

You'll need to include the "/allusers" parameter to see any system-owned jobs (i.e. those from BITS).

Cheers,
    Lain

Tuesday, April 5, 2016 11:48 AM
  • Ok, thx.

I've got 10 jobs actually.

The first is transferring packets, for example : 420473 / 16122812
    And the others are in queue..

Tuesday, April 5, 2016 11:50 AM
  • You can get more information about a job through running:

bitsadmin /info "{1B45C01E-E058-47EF-BEBB-F5DF88360296}" /verbose

Just remember to use the GUID from one of your active jobs to get the detailed statistics.

What I'd be looking for are any errors or retry counts greater than 0, etc.

Cheers,
    Lain

Tuesday, April 5, 2016 11:56 AM
  • Here is my log : 

BITSADMIN version 3.0 [ 7.5.7601 ]
    BITS administration utility.
    (C) Copyright 2000-2006 Microsoft Corp.

BITSAdmin is deprecated and is not guaranteed to be available in future versions of Windows.
    Administrative tools for the BITS service are now provided by BITS PowerShell cmdlets.

GUID: {25C2C5D4-176B-493D-B819-7D438EAC6151} DISPLAY: 'f22c42c2-3e83-4a61-99e0-40b9b8f8fde1'
    TYPE: DOWNLOAD STATE: QUEUED OWNER: AUTORITE NT\SERVICE RSEAU
    PRIORITY: HIGH FILES: 0 / 1 BYTES: 560403 / 16122812
    CREATION TIME: 05/04/2016 12:01:46 MODIFICATION TIME: 05/04/2016 13:51:48
    COMPLETION TIME: UNKNOWN ACL FLAGS: 
    NOTIFY INTERFACE: UNREGISTERED NOTIFICATION FLAGS: 3
    RETRY DELAY: 600 NO PROGRESS TIMEOUT: 86400 ERROR COUNT: 0
    PROXY USAGE: OVERRIDE PROXY LIST: 10.27.192.50:80 PROXY BYPASS LIST: <local>
    DESCRIPTION: SUSFile
    JOB FILES: 
    560403 / 16122812 WORKING http://wsus.ds.download.windowsupdate.com/c/msdownload/update/software/secu/2016/02/word-x-none_ea598dab3eaa23ee5311fc8043bbb27ecd888be7.cab -> E:\WSUS\WsusContent\E7\EA598DAB3EAA23EE5311FC8043BBB27ECD888BE7.cab
    NOTIFICATION COMMAND LINE: none
    owner MIC integrity level: SYSTEM
    owner elevated ?           true
    This job is read-only to the current CMD window because the job's mandatory 
    integrity level of SYSTEM is higher than the window's level of HIGH.
    Peercaching flags
    Enable download from peers      :false
    Enable serving to peers         :false

CUSTOM HEADERS: NULL
    Tuesday, April 5, 2016 12:00 PM
  • Is there any chance you could bypass the proxy sever for testing purposes?

While I've seen throttling on proxies before, I wouldn't say it's common, so I'm not necessarily expecting it to make a difference. That said, if it doesn't then we have to come back and look further at BITS because that's all that's left.

Cheer,
    Lain

Tuesday, April 5, 2016 12:11 PM
  • No chance to bypass proxy. Everything is blocked without proxy.

Tuesday, April 5, 2016 12:13 PM
  • That's fair enough.

That being the case though, there's not much more I can easily work through. The next things to check would be:

• The Event log, notably the System, Application and Bits-Client logs (BITS being found under the Applications and Services Logs/Microsoft/Windows node).
    • WindowsUpdate.log file under %windir%, as even though it's the client log, it uses the same interfaces (such as BITS) and often shares errors with Update Services.
    • The Update Services log files, which from memory are under the Update Services installation directory.
    • Process Monitor can be useful for identifying bottlenecks, however, it gets a bit tricker with the number of different system processes involved with something like WSUS.
    • If you're feeling brave, break out something like Netmon or Message Analyzer and inspect the requests directly.

I have to say, I feel like this is still going to relate to BITS throttling. If you're sure there's no policies being applied locally or from the domain then you can try using the local group policy editor (gpedit.msc) on the WSUS host to explicitly disabling the BITS bandwidth throttling policy found at "Computer Configuration/Administrative Templates/Network/Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS)/Limit the maximum network bandwidth for BITS background transfers" and seeing if that helps.

Cheers,
    Lain

Tuesday, April 5, 2016 12:57 PM
  • I don't know how but during the night all the updates had been downloaded..
    Thursday, April 7, 2016 2:25 PM