MDS 2012 SP1 CU4 - Best practice on migrating Entity data from one environment to another

• I have around 10 entities in a model. One of the entity is the customer entity which contains approx. 4 million records. Out of these 10 entities I want to migrate the data for only 3 entities from one environment to another. The MDSDeploy command either lets you include data or not. What I need is an option to include data for specific entities within my model. Therefore, I had to manually create these members in the new environment for these 3 entities.

Has anyone ran into a similar situation? Is there a better way to handle this situation where we don't have to manually create members for specific entities within a model in new environments? 

Note: I tried to create a package with includedata flag so it includes the members for all the entities. But, I had to kill the process after letting it run for 24+ hours because it still didn't return with a success or a failure. It was probably taking a lot of time because one of entities i.e. Customer entity contains approx. 4 million records. I only tried this option to see if I can uncheck the data for specific entities using package editor after creating it. However, I gave up on that because it just kept running without any feedback or indication of progress.

Saturday, June 29, 2013 3:09 AM

All replies