Unable to install any printer driver Windows 7 Enterprise x64 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I'm trying to add a printer dirver. I'm going to administrative tools and using Print Management (printmanagement.msc), then under my local PC/Print server clicking on the Driver section, then Add Driver. The Add Printer Driver Wizard runs ok, I click next, select x64, next, then select a driver. When I press next then finish I get two errors:

Unable to install <printerDriverName> operation could not be completed (error 0x00000003).

I click ok then get

Failed to add driver. operation could not be completed (Error 0x00000578)

I've tried choosing a  drivers from the list (that come with windows), also I've downloaded 64bit print drivers from Ricoh's website and still get the same error.

- I am logged in as Administrator

- UAC is OFF

- Print spooler service is Started and set to automatic

Any help would be appreciated.

Thursday, September 30, 2010 3:46 AM

Answers

• Hi Nano

Thanks for the reply.

I performed the following three tasks and it solved the problem.

Gave my user account full control over C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository and all subfolders
    - Removed and re-added Print and Document services from the Add/remove windows components
    -  Installed Common HTTP Features from the Add/remove Windows components under Internet information services > World Wide Web Services > Common HTTP Features

After doing all that restarted my computer and now the error is gone.

• Marked as answer by Adams2010 Thursday, September 30, 2010 1:41 PM
    Thursday, September 30, 2010 1:41 PM

All replies

• Have you tried right-clicking print management and selecting "Run as Administrator" ?
    Thursday, September 30, 2010 12:33 PM
  • Hi Nano

Thanks for the reply.

I performed the following three tasks and it solved the problem.

Gave my user account full control over C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository and all subfolders
    - Removed and re-added Print and Document services from the Add/remove windows components
    -  Installed Common HTTP Features from the Add/remove Windows components under Internet information services > World Wide Web Services > Common HTTP Features

After doing all that restarted my computer and now the error is gone.

• Marked as answer by Adams2010 Thursday, September 30, 2010 1:41 PM
    Thursday, September 30, 2010 1:41 PM