Music Player Problems RRS feed

• Question

• Recently I've bee unable to play any music or video files with any media player. I first noticed this when using iTunes, I was able to load the song, all song information came up, but the timer stays at 0:00. I tried other players and DivX did the same thing with video files, and Windows Media Player displays a "cannot acces file" message. I updated all my drivers, and I am using Windows Vista Basic.After running computer health diagnostics I found I have a problem with "Microsoft 6to4 Adapter", I don't know if this could be related, but I tried disabling it and did not change anything. Any ideas as to what I should do?

-Catie
    Tuesday, November 25, 2008 10:55 PM

Answers

• Hi Catie,

Before moving on troubleshooting, could you please confirm if the computer has Windows Startup Sound? If so, please let me know.

According to your description, it seems the problem is caused by sound configuration file was corrupted. I suggest you take the following steps to troubleshoot the issue.

1.       Click Start, click Control Panel.

2.       Click Sound.

If the sound configuration file is corrupted, a notification will pop up and Windows Vista will fix the problem after you click Yes button.

If the issue still persists, please feel free to let me know.

Regarding the "Microsoft 6to4 Adapter" error, you can safely ignore this error message. This error message does not indicate a problem with the adapter. For more information on the error, please refer to the following Microsoft Knowledge Base article:

On a Windows Vista-based computer or on a Windows Server 2008-based computer, the Microsoft ISATAP adapter appears with a yellow exclamation mark next to it in Device Manager, and you also receive an error message

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/932520/en-us

Hope it helps.

Friday, November 28, 2008 8:24 AM

All replies

• Hi Catie,

Before moving on troubleshooting, could you please confirm if the computer has Windows Startup Sound? If so, please let me know.

According to your description, it seems the problem is caused by sound configuration file was corrupted. I suggest you take the following steps to troubleshoot the issue.

1.       Click Start, click Control Panel.

2.       Click Sound.

If the sound configuration file is corrupted, a notification will pop up and Windows Vista will fix the problem after you click Yes button.

If the issue still persists, please feel free to let me know.

Regarding the "Microsoft 6to4 Adapter" error, you can safely ignore this error message. This error message does not indicate a problem with the adapter. For more information on the error, please refer to the following Microsoft Knowledge Base article:

On a Windows Vista-based computer or on a Windows Server 2008-based computer, the Microsoft ISATAP adapter appears with a yellow exclamation mark next to it in Device Manager, and you also receive an error message

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/932520/en-us

Hope it helps.

Friday, November 28, 2008 8:24 AM
  • The computer does have Windows Startup Sound.

I followed your advice and went into Control Panel and clicking sound. A notification popped up saying that a driver was interfering with sound and asked if would like to disable the driver. The sound driver popped up, I disabled it, which turned off all sound, then enabled it. After re-enabling the sound driver (Realtek High Definition Audio), Windows Media Player is able to play music and DivX is able to play video but I am still having problems with iTunes. When I select a song to play in iTunes the song displays in the play menu and begins to play but there is no sound. Using iTunes help has not changed the problem. Any ideas on how I should proceed to solve this problem?
    Monday, December 1, 2008 4:04 AM
  • Hi,

Glad to hear the problem on Windows Media Player was resolved.

I also understand that the issue on iTunes still persists, please understand that iTunes is not a Microsoft product. We do not have much information on it. Given the situation, it is recommended to contact iTunes Support to address the problem. Thank you for your understanding.

For your convenience:

Apple - Support – iTunes

http://www.apple.com/support/itunes/

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Hope it helps.

Monday, December 1, 2008 9:17 AM