Windows 10 anniversary update broke sticky notes RRS feed

• Question

• I observe:

sticky notes font has changed (too large), default line spacing is 1.5 (too wide) and previous formatting controls (eg ctl + shift + > to increase font size) can crash sticky notes. 

Other controls (eg Ctl + L) to insert bullets don't work.

And other controls (eg Ctl + 1/2/5) to change line spacing do work by are not saved when stick notes restarts.

Quite a few steps backward for sticky notes, a potentially useful tool but clearly not recognised as such by MS. 

Does anyone recognise these symptoms and/or know fixes ?  Thanks.

DGmartin

Friday, August 5, 2016 6:57 AM

All replies

• Sticky note improved in anniversary update and it changed to have a better support especially for Pen and Touch Screen device.

If you are facing any issue, open start and search for Feedback and open Feedback App and report this issue.

Friday, August 5, 2016 2:38 PM
  • Friday, August 5, 2016 7:19 PM
  • Same issues here. I started a topic: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/apps_windows_10-winapps/sticky-notes-change-font/fbd468a2-7a59-4ce6-a8ac-bbcac470ce1c?tm=1470397342866

but the answers haven't solved the question so far. Feel free to follow the topic of course...

• Edited by Blasherke Friday, August 5, 2016 8:10 PM
    Friday, August 5, 2016 8:01 PM
  • Hi 2DavidMartin,

The "Sticky notes" on Windows 10.1607 has been a metro style app while it is a "desktop app" in previous version.
    I have tested " ctl+ shift + >". It could workwell.
    You could try the following powershellcommand line to register that app to have a test. Turn off the sticky notes(task manager).
    Add-AppxPackage-register "C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.MicrosoftStickyNotes_1.1.4.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\Appxmanifest.xml" -DisableDevelopmentMode

As Cyber_Defend_Teamsuggested, we could try the submit "Feedback" about this app.

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Monday, August 8, 2016 7:31 AM
  • Hey David,

Thanks for letting us know.

The Sticky Notes team has definitely heard this feedback, and we're working on a fix.

Apologies for any inconvenience, and thanks again for letting us know.  We hope that you like some of the next updates, and that you continue to let us know when we're doing well, and when we're letting you down.

On behalf of the team, thanks for bearing with us --

Donovan Lange
    Group Engineering Manager
    Sticky Notes Team

Monday, August 8, 2016 8:08 AM
  • Donovan, thanks for the feedback.

I use Sticky Notes as a permanent "to-do" list on my desktop. So, I really care for this little app.

A few impressions from the new version:

• Left and right margins are too big. Sticky Notes should not occupy my desktop with empty space. Keep it compact.
    • Default font size is too big for my standard laptop. Resizing the fonts with the keyboard shortcut crashes the app.
    • As soon as I activate insights, everything becomes super laggy, I cannot even type at normal speed. My laptop is a ThinkPad T450, surely not an old machine.

As a long-time user of this app, one thing I would like to see:

• automatic backup on OneDrive, and automatic sync between different machines. When I turn on my desktop PC at home and login with my account, I'd like to have the option to see the same sticky notes I had at work.

Thanks for all your efforts and keep it up!

EDIT: just downloaded the update, thanks for fixing the resize shortcuts and the other kb shortcuts.

Guido

• Edited by guidofoc Thursday, August 11, 2016 10:38 AM
    Thursday, August 11, 2016 9:29 AM
  • Hi

Where can I find the update? Store?

Andrew

Thursday, August 11, 2016 12:55 PM
  • Where can I find the update?

A post in the linked thread hinted that the Windows Insider blog would know... (Fast ring)  but doesn't seem to.  Also, strangely on the Feedback Hub there is no mention of this enhancement request, just one for tiling.  Ah, apparently the search should be for Sticky Notes (with a space).  More hits about fonts etc then.   ; )

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Thursday, August 11, 2016 6:55 PM
  • I am also very disappointed in the "two steps back" update....I use Sticky Notes every day and it is a critical part of my time efficiency. Sometimes things just don't need "improvement"....

It would be nice, however, to set a default font and size. Other than that, I think Sticky Notes is a very useful tool.

• Edited by Alekkta Sunday, August 14, 2016 7:38 PM
    Sunday, August 14, 2016 7:37 PM
  • I'll throw in my $.02 as well.  I'm all for making the code better for touch/pen as well, but that's not the entire world (even if an up-trending one), and you cannot throw out the use-case of your currently installed base.

I would like the ability to define preferred default font, font-size, and line-spacing for Sticky Notes.  This would seem to be a requirement as you don't know enough about the end-user's equipment, eyesight, and preferences to set a one-size-fits-all setting.

I would further suggest this be three-dots-menu item so that it would be the same on all devices, and would be consistent with Edge, for example.

Monday, August 15, 2016 12:27 AM
  • Thanks Robert :)

I found a workaround...hehehe

Cheers

Andrew K

Monday, August 15, 2016 1:55 PM
  • Got the Windows update to Sticky Notes today and am amazed.  Amazed that MS thought it was worth releasing.  It does nothing obvious (for me).  The previous functions that I used are still missing.  How difficult can it be to write/fix the simplest app in the world that just saves typed notes?

DGmartin

Tuesday, August 16, 2016 9:30 PM
  • saves typed notes

Since Sticky Notes is now found in "Ink Workspace", I think using your pen and not your keyboard is what it is designed for.

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Wednesday, August 17, 2016 4:54 AM
  • Yes, I have seen this.  And now that I have applied the update I can make text smaller or larger (CTRL + SHIFT + < / >), but I still cannot created bulleted or numbered lists, and now the notes are huge and I can't make them smaller.  One step forward and one step backward.  Ridiculous!
    Wednesday, August 17, 2016 3:59 PM
  • and even after the recent version (1.1.7.0) the ui contains a mixture of german and english language. On a german Windows 10 x64 there is a "Settings" page with english text, but a german "Ein" (= On) button

And after clicking on the hamburer menu '...' in the upper right corner, the settings icon is displayed in the lower left corner: is this some kind of mouse pointer fitness training?

Strike-Through and Bold keyboard shortcuts are no longer working (Strg-t / Strg-b).

• Edited by EckiS Wednesday, August 17, 2016 9:26 PM
    Wednesday, August 17, 2016 9:24 PM
  • Yes, I have seen this.  And now that I have applied the update I can make text smaller or larger (CTRL + SHIFT + < / >), but I still cannot created bulleted or numbered lists, and now the notes are huge and I can't make them smaller.  One step forward and one step backward.  Ridiculous!
    This is driving me crazy, I preferred the original Sticky Notes, regardless of whether or not you could easily use a tablet pen to write. I am now struggling because I am in College and I have been using Sticky Notes for assignments so I know what I need to complete and with them being huge I do not have enough room for all my classes. There is no other way for me to have my assignments front and center when I turn on my computer so I am panicking because I now have no way to remember all the things I need to do. I really wish Microsoft would fix this so I don't FAIL this semester. :(
    Sunday, August 21, 2016 7:34 PM
  •  no way to remember all the things I need to do.

Have you looked at OneNote?  You can access it from both the left and the right.  Plus if you have the right pen with a certain button you wouldn't even need to swipe to get into it.

For example

http://winsupersite.com/mobile-devices/surface-pro-3-tip-configure-which-onenote-use-pen

(BING search for
        open onenote with pen top button
    )

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Monday, August 22, 2016 3:44 AM
  • I am super annoyed. I did my updates and now these sticky notes are huge with a plain font !  I love sticky notes, but now I have to find something.. which I haven't been able to find anything that pins to the desktop. 

Also I swear my start up has huge font now too, the time and date is huge and it seems to be a little weird on startup? anyone else having this problem? I know my computer updated itself ,but I also ran up HP support updates too, so idk what happened. ugh. 

Thursday, August 25, 2016 3:04 PM
  • I also agree with pretty much everybody here!

Bring old Sticky Notes back!
    Notes are too big now, can't resize, trash bin instead of little stylized "x" to delete note is really ugly, etc.
    I'm also really annoyed!

Thursday, August 25, 2016 3:15 PM
  • Hi,

We could copy the "sticky notes.exe"(C:\Windows\System32) from a previous version machine. It could be used on the latest system.

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

• Proposed as answer by econcepts Sunday, September 18, 2016 11:03 PM
    Friday, August 26, 2016 8:57 AM
  • Sticky Notes pops up and after a second or two closes (new version on Anniversary Update)
    Sunday, August 28, 2016 3:41 AM
  • The old Sticky Notes are there under the Windows.Old directory that the latest update creates.

If you're struggling to find it, just go to File Explorer and search for "stikynot" it should come up.

From there I created a short cut directly to my desktop and the OLD sticky notes are back and working fine.

(It even recovered the notes I had!)

EDIT: ok, it works, but you can't delete new notes you create!! But at least it gave me a chance to recover the information I had on there.

• Edited by Purrsia Monday, August 29, 2016 9:25 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Claudine9000 Friday, September 30, 2016 1:51 PM
    Monday, August 29, 2016 9:14 AM
  • Pounding my head on the desk trying to move stickynotes from 1 win10 PC to another and saw this.

the "old" PC was pre-anniversary edition - the new has the different flavor of sticky notes.

so where, exactly, to I stick the stickynotes.snt file?

Tuesday, August 30, 2016 1:56 PM
  • I am also having the same problem.

Additionally:
    CTRL-Z and the Right Click + Undo doesn't work anymore.Ctrl + T doesn't strike through.Typing lags quite a bit.

It's like no one tested this before they pushed to release.

Tuesday, August 30, 2016 4:14 PM
  • Any chance we could bring back the option to paste tables into sticky notes.... It's a pain to have a word document open when I could just drop it on the sticky.
    Thursday, September 1, 2016 7:54 PM
  • I would really love to paste images into sticky notes as well, as now it does not seem to be possible anymore. I had all my favourite pics up on my desktop in sticky notes, and I thought it was great that I could move them about and change them whenever I wanted to. I also had my "to do" -list up there in pictures, as that seems to work for me the best. Please bring back this feature! Also, the notes are way too big and clumsy.

I was so upset last night when the update lost all my sticky notes & pictures. This update did not improve this app at all.

Sticky notes used to be so useful!

Friday, September 2, 2016 6:02 AM
  • Hi,

Copying the original sticknot.exe to c:\windows\system32 does work, and allow you to continue using the "old" sticky note, however has anyone notice when running "old" sticknot.exe in Windows 10 v1607, you can use + to add new sticky notes, but clicking on X will not let you delete sticky notes? The only work around I have found so far is to regedit [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Applets\StickyNotes], on right windows, to change "PROMPT_ON_DELETE" from 1 to 0 (close, & reboot). Now, it will let you click on X to delete sticky notes without confirmation prompt; however this raises another big issue: stickynot.exe will not automatically restart when you reboot or when turning on your computer! eventhough  RESTART Sticky note entry is in Windows startup, but it just would not start on its own, until you double click to launch it. I have tried to add another stickynot.exe in Windows 10 v1607 StartUp group, no go. I also tried adding stickynot.exe in Task Scheduler to launch, it works at random, but most of time it does not launch. Any comment or suggestion?

Last, I have tried the new metro style Stick Note of Windows 10 v1607, I can use CTRL-Shift- </> to increase or decrease font size, but I can not figure a way to change FONT. The old trick of copy and past desire font from Wordpad or Word doesn't work anymore in this new sticky note. Any idea?

Friday, September 2, 2016 6:50 PM
  • I just updated to the new current windows 10 build. I use sticky notes daily for work and  I use it a lot.

I do not like the giant sticky notes at all.  I searched for a simple, easy alternative online and decided to download this app which seems to work as well or even better in some ways  as the OEM Stocky notes on my windows PC. It seems simple and un-intrusive without having to sign up for anything...just a nice app, it appears. 

http://www.simplestickynotes.com/thank-you/?utm_source=ssn-pw

Saturday, September 3, 2016 2:51 PM
  • Hi all,

Here is the list of all keyboard shortcuts for Sticky Notes. Please bring it back.

I could also paste images and work with any font in the sticky notes.

CTRL + L Left Alignment
    CTRL + E Center Alignment
    CTRL + R Right Alignment

CTRL + B Bold
    CTRL + I Italic
    CTRL + U Underline
    CTRL + T Strike Through

CTRL + SHIFT + > Increase Font Size
    CTRL + SHIFT + < Decrease Font Size

CTRL + SHIFT + L (1 Time) Bullet List (●, ●, ●)
    CTRL + SHIFT + L (2 Times) Numbered List (1, 2, 3)
    CTRL + SHIFT + L (3 Times) Lettered List (a, b, c)
    CTRL + SHIFT + L (4 Times) Lettered List (A, B, C)
    CTRL + SHIFT + L (5 Times) Roman Numeral List (i, ii, iii)
    CTRL + SHIFT + L (6 Times) Roman Numeral List (I, II, III)

CTRL + N New Note
    CTRL + D Delete Note

CTRL + A Select All
    CTRL + X Cut
    CTRL + C Copy
    CTRL + V Paste
    CTRL + Z Undo
    CTRL + Y Redo

CTRL + = Subscript
    CTRL + SHIFT + = Superscript

Thank you.

Sunday, September 4, 2016 5:14 PM
  • Thanks for the link but this link takes you to "Thanks for downloading..." Remove everything after the .com and it takes you to the download page. 

This new update is awful! 

1. Notes are too big and can't adjust past a certain point.

2. Font is huge - do not want to have to control/shift < everytime I use it.

3. I don't mind the new font but it would be nice to have a choice of fonts.

4. Old sticky notes was easier to work with

5. When it updated I had notes stacked on top of notes with nothing on them but scribbles. I didn't think I was going to find my existing notes. Phew! finally did. Lots of important info in those notes. 

MS - IF IT AIN'T BROKE DON'T FIX IT!!!

Monday, September 5, 2016 6:31 PM
  • I just wanted to point out that the Bullet keyboard shortcut is CTRL+SHIFT+L. But you're right, it doesn't work.

When will this be fixed?

Wednesday, September 14, 2016 11:03 PM
  • Yeah, new Sticky Notes are just gross. I used to have my school schedule table pasted from Excel to the sticky note and now it simply doesn't work. I though that M$ is going further. No. Backward is better word.
    Thursday, September 15, 2016 8:08 PM
  • I have to agree that on a regular desktop with multi HD monitors to suddenly get stuck with these large clumsy square sticky notes isn't going forward. So we can hope a fix will come soon; ability to change font/size, and to resize them to smaller - again - please. Thanks Bill!

Yours Truly Online, Uli the Maui Tech Guru Helping people with computers in Maui Hawaii.

Sunday, September 18, 2016 2:38 AM
  • Hi,

We could copy the "sticky notes.exe"(C:\Windows\System32) from a previous version machine. It could be used on the latest system.

Best regards

I have an office full of people that use sticky notes, some of them have a LOT of notes and stickies did not import any of the notes in during the 1607 update. Go into the c:\Windows.old\Windows\System32\ folder and copy stickynot.exe file into the current system32 folder and voila, old sticknotes is back. How to import %appdata%\roaming\Microsoft\sticky notes\StickyNotes.snt file into stickies if changing computer? Running old sticky notes and copy and paste works but whaaaaa? Oh and the fonts and sizes should be under user control. O, and thanks for the trashcan, the X was too much like close - people would delete their notes accidently.

that was almost but not quite entirely unlike me

• Edited by econcepts Sunday, September 18, 2016 11:18 PM add a thanks for the trashcan
    Sunday, September 18, 2016 11:11 PM
  • I agree with everyone that the new version of sticky notes is very annoying: the default font is too big and the spacing between lines is too big; and the worst part is that now we cannot copy the formatting from Word. Please bring the old sticky notes back which was working just find.

Thursday, September 22, 2016 4:09 AM
  • I can't believe that no has mentioned the outline that they added, I have a mostly black background pic, and the new blue white outline looks awful against it. But I'd mainly just like to just have the option of using the old app or the new one.
    Friday, September 23, 2016 12:58 AM
  • Yep.  Same issue here.  Bring back sticky notes the way it was please!
    Friday, September 23, 2016 6:27 PM
  • My sticky notes is a mess.  I had important dates and times on it and I can't retrieve them.  I am very upset.  Also my time, on the bottom task bar, is a dark color on black so I can't read it.

I hate the way this "update" screwed things up.

• Proposed as answer by LanceGrafX Friday, September 23, 2016 11:50 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by LanceGrafX Friday, September 23, 2016 11:51 PM
    Friday, September 23, 2016 10:12 PM
  • Workin... resurrection fix...!

See techflute.com

how-to-add-sticky-notes-to-windows-server-2012

• Proposed as answer by Trooper Al Saturday, September 24, 2016 1:23 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Trooper Al Saturday, September 24, 2016 1:24 AM
    Friday, September 23, 2016 11:58 PM
  • That's laughable and from all the support tickets taken out on sticky notes I'd say just untrue.
    Monday, September 26, 2016 12:13 AM
  • Entirely agree -- new update is terrible.
    Monday, September 26, 2016 3:22 PM
  • Windows10 did an automatic update overnight and gave me a heart attack when all my notes apparently disappeared.
    Got them back, but so ugly, far too intrusive and lost the ability to copy smaller fonts from Word.
    The real big laugh is the 'Settings' menu that's accessed from the three dots
    What settings?
    1. Disable/enable 'Send application usage statistics'
    2. 'About'
    (Plus, of course, the real gee-whizz functionality of being able to set pretty background colours.)
    If any of my developers presented me with that as a 'Settings' menu they'd get sent to bed without any supper.

Backup strategy . . . saved all my notes to a TextPad file and put it in a Safe Place, just in case.

Tuesday, September 27, 2016 10:15 AM
  • Normal non techy people should be able to change the font on Sticky notes without having to go into the registry and potentially  muck it up.
    Tuesday, September 27, 2016 5:49 PM
  • I just got the Anniversary update and the exact same symptoms. The font is fat and huge, the notes are bulky and big, but the most annoying of all - the lag when I type. The lag is enough for me to permanently stop using this application. I rely on this daily, it is my to do list, my schedule, and my log of hours.  
    Wednesday, September 28, 2016 9:53 PM
  • Having exactly same issue and it's very irritating and even considering reverting back to previous version of windows just because of this. 
    Thursday, September 29, 2016 5:43 AM
  • What did you do to sticky notes?!?!?!?!?!

My system just updated, notes initially missing, find them and the format of the note window itself and the font is awful.

Gone is the ability to paste text from Word and keep the font and size.

I tried the keyboard shortcut to resize text and the programme crashed and all the information on the note was lost!!!

Revert these incredibly poor changes!!

Friday, September 30, 2016 1:29 PM
  • I have used your advice and found my old sticky notes. I'm going to copy them quickly! I was lost without them.
    Friday, September 30, 2016 2:02 PM
  • I had to copy my notes from stickies into notepad then do what gilezzz mentioned, in the link below, and paste it back.

http://forums.windowscentral.com/ask-question/434978-how-can-i-change-font-sticky-notes-after-windows-10-anniversary-update.html#post3571056

Friday, September 30, 2016 6:36 PM
  • I reinstalled from app store and all looks good now.
    Monday, October 3, 2016 4:55 PM
  • WISH I could say the same. I'm sure many of us do. 

Microsoft broke the crap out of sticky notes. I mean c'mon! WTF!

Most of us use them as a to-do list. What do you do on a to-do list? 
    You CROSS things out! Go ahead and try doing that now with ctrl+T! NOPE!! Not gonna happen!

I'm lucky at this point to even have a single level of UNDO. 

MS you guys suck.
    Wednesday, October 5, 2016 8:58 PM
  • This is how you bring back the classic sticky notes!

1. Go to C:\ and find a folder called Windows.old It should have been created after the update.

2. Go to C:\Windows.old\WINDOWS\System32 find and copy these two files:

- StikyNot.exe

- SNTSearch.dll

3. Go to C:\Windows\System32 and paste the two files you just copied.

4. Go to C:\Windows.old\WINDOWS\System32\en-US find and copy these two files:

- sntsearch.dll.mui

- StikyNot.exe.mui

* The folder en-US will vary depending on your system language, for instance: es-ES for spanish.

5. Go to C:\Windows\System32\en-US and paste the two files you just copied.

6. Now let's add Sticky Notes back to the start menu where it used to be. Go to C:\Windows\System32 and find StikyNot.exe then right click on it, on the menu that pops up, click on Send To>Desktop (create shortcut)

7. Go to your desktop, the Sticky Notes shortcut should be there. Rename it to whatever you want.

8. Go to C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Accessories (You will need to enable show hidden files in order to find this path. Here a tutorial on how to do it: http://www.isunshare.com/windows-10/show-hidden-files-and-folders-in-windows-10.html)

9. Copy the shortcut from the desktop and paste it here.

10. Done! Now the sticky notes should be in the Start Menu under Windows Accessories, and you can also find it by using the Start Menu search box.

Note: If for whatever reason you don't have the Windows.old folder, you can download the files from this tutorial at step 3: http://www.techflute.com/how-to-add-sticky-notes-to-windows-server-2012/

It would be better to use the files from your own system though. I didn't follow the same exact steps in that tutorial since it is for a different version of windows. I suggest follow my instructions instead.

• Proposed as answer by Loophole_62ndFF Friday, October 7, 2016 3:21 AM
    • Edited by Jona333 Tuesday, October 11, 2016 12:35 AM
    Thursday, October 6, 2016 5:38 PM
  • Just terrible. I use to LOVE sticky notes. I used them all the time. I HATE this new update. I cannot believe how huge the margins and font are (and that you cannot change). I type stuff in and there's a huge delay, most of the time it doesn't even finish what I typed. Just stops. And that font size adjustment key combo is crashing my app. I just lost a whole big note with a bunch of dates and info it took me a while to put together trying to change the font size. Undo wasn't a possibility anymore with the new blank note. :-(

It just seems like such a simple app that was not broken at all. No need to build in all these fancy features. The beauty of them is they were just virtual sticky notes and that's how I used them. I'm going to look for a replacement. :-(

Friday, October 7, 2016 4:49 PM
  • And now they are "improving" paint: adding stylus and touch support.

I wonder what they are going to break now.

Mircosoft is depserately trying to prove to developers and end users that UWP apps are they way to go,
    but by constantly releasing half-finished apps they are giving the misimpression that apps are inferior to Win32 programs.

Saturday, October 8, 2016 7:39 AM
  • Thank you so much for including this!!  As a sticky note user for a while, I really miss being able to use these keyboard shortcuts.  It would be so great if the developers included them in the new version.  I've wanted to make this suggestion for a while now, but wasn't quite sure how I should go about it.  Plus, I didn't know about the ones that increased the font size or made super and subscripts, so it's always great to learn something new. 
    Monday, October 10, 2016 9:02 PM
  • Gives an error message now that the program will not run with my version of Windows.

All I want is a simple Desktop sticky pad that I can keep important stuff on there. It needs to not stay on top (as other free programs are doing) and it needs to allow change of font. I don't care about other GREAT features.

Tuesday, October 11, 2016 1:42 PM
  • You can download the file to run the old sticky notes from here:

http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/get-classic-sticky-notes-windows-10-anniversary/

Wednesday, October 19, 2016 3:00 PM
  • You can download the file to run the old sticky notes from here:

http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/get-classic-sticky-notes-windows-10-anniversary/

Thanks, I will try this soon. The new sticky notes are TERRIBLE.

The uniform formatting is a massive step backwards, I would frequently copy text out of IDEs or SQL Management studio etc, the old stickynotes would keep the font colour etc, now everything is plain.

Also, Ctrl + Z is now broken. I lose the ability to undo if I paste something (which is 99% of my usage of stickynotes), and a lot of the time, even if a note is just manually written, Ctrl + Z just doesn't work (I can't seem to reproduce this consistently - to describe it better).

• Proposed as answer by sg_it Friday, December 9, 2016 4:18 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by sg_it Friday, December 9, 2016 6:30 AM
    Sunday, October 30, 2016 10:53 PM
  • I found sticky notes under start menu all programs. Scroll down until you see Sticky Notes

Wednesday, November 9, 2016 3:42 PM
  • I've tried following steps from another user on the thread from this page: 

However, now it's made things worse for me. I can't at all change the color of any of the StickyNotes; nor am I able to close out any of the actual SN windows etc.. (right-clicking has no effect).

I think I need the new/current StickyNotes files from after the latest updates back on my computer.

I had replaced the files with the old ones, failing to first make a copy of the current ones to have as a "backup" just in case.

Will someone please help me with this ASAP?? I'd really appreciate it.

Thank you!!

• Edited by typative Friday, November 11, 2016 2:03 AM
    Friday, November 11, 2016 2:00 AM
  • same issue here, would like to change font and font size, spacing
    Sunday, December 4, 2016 3:11 PM
  • EDIT: ok, it works, but you can't delete new notes you create!! But at least it gave me a chance to recover the information I had on there.

This is exactly the problem I'm having. :[ Is there no solution but to conform to the new sticky notes?

Friday, December 23, 2016 11:52 PM
  • I agree with all of these complaints:  not sure why my notes only just updated, but I am really unhappy with them.  They were always limited in formatting options, but I was able to format text in Word then paste it into a note and it would keep the formatting.  FOr some notes I like a super small or super large font.  Now, I'm stuck with one font and loathe it.  And yes, the line spacing really makes them take up too much room when I have a long list on a note.  Also, backing up the person who noted you used to be able to paste tables into them.  These things are really downgraded now.  Hate them and looking for a replacement app.  
    Saturday, January 21, 2017 4:55 AM
  • They eliminated the simple snt file and replaced it with an entire directory of files you need to copy.  It's located at  C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.MicrosoftStickyNotes_8wekyb3d8bbwe
    Wednesday, January 25, 2017 5:20 PM
  • Bold items are broken

The following shortcuts work, for me.

CTRL + N New Note
    CTRL + D Delete Note

CTRL + A Select All
    CTRL + X Cut
    CTRL + C Copy
    CTRL + V Paste
    CTRL + Z Undo
    CTRL + Y Redo

CTRL + B Bold
    CTRL + I Italic
    CTRL + U Underline
    CTRL + T Strike Through

Position and note size remain between sessions.

Back up is a simple copy of the following folder although it appears Microsoft doesn't think backups are important as that folder was not listed in the help file.  Not that I have found the help file.   C:\Users\<UserAccount>\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.MicrosoftStickyNotes_8wekyb3d8bbwe

The following are broken, for me.

• Font size too small for me to read without magnifier
    • Line Spacing too large
    • Old, unusable, sticky note folder has to be manually deleted.

Ctrl + Shift + A (Capitalize selection)                                       (Broken)

CTRL + L Left Alignment                                                             (probably broken)
    CTRL + E Center Alignment                                                        (Broken)
    CTRL + R Right Alignment                                                          (Broken)
    Ctrl + 1 Single line space                                                           (Broken)
    Ctrl + 2 Double line space                                                          (Broken)
    Ctrl + 5 line space                                                                      (Broken)
    CTRL + SHIFT + > Increase Font Size               (Per Evin_Kaless this used to work after release)
    CTRL + SHIFT + < Decrease Font Size               (Per Evin_Kaless this used to work after release)CTRL + SHIFT + L (1 Time) Bullet List (●, ●, ●)                         (Broken)
    CTRL + SHIFT + L (2 Times) Numbered List (1, 2, 3)               (Broken)
    CTRL + SHIFT + L (3 Times) Lettered List (a, b, c)                   (Broken)
    CTRL + SHIFT + L (4 Times) Lettered List (A, B, C)                  (Broken)
    CTRL + SHIFT + L (5 Times) Roman Numeral List (i, ii, iii)      (Broken)
    CTRL + SHIFT + L (6 Times) Roman Numeral List (I, II, III)   (Broken)CTRL + = Subscript                                                                      (Broken)
    CTRL + SHIFT + = Superscript                                                    (Broken)

Normally, anniversary gifts are considerate.  Next month I will sell my wife's wedding ring, replacing it with one from a cereal box.  I will let you know how she thanks me for her anniversary gift.

• Edited by ExpertNovice Wednesday, February 8, 2017 5:02 PM excluded and
    Wednesday, February 8, 2017 4:59 PM
  • Neferu-re

Make a backup of this folder

C:\Users\<UserAccount>\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.MicrosoftStickyNotes_8wekyb3d8bbwe

Wednesday, February 8, 2017 5:07 PM
  • Windows 10 Anniversary edition of sticky notes is horrible.  leave it to microsoft to downgrade a great usable software package.   Very similar to the windows media player downgrade, where one is forced to install external alternatives like the MPC. 

My solution to the Win10Aniv sticky notes, was to move over to google Keep.  sure it's not as quick to open... 

but you just type in keep.google.com and you got ur notes anywhere.  could make it into a clickable destkop URL etc.   I use the new built in sticky notes only for very quick tech notes, and have to clean up periodically.

-------------------------------

the worst limitations introduced

1) can't write using finger on laptop touch screen

2) # of notes limit

3) very limited formatting, and keystroke recognition

Tuesday, April 18, 2017 1:00 PM
  • Thank you Jona333 for the instructions on how to bring back the old Sticky Notes. 

I tried to use the new version, but quickly gave up.

Once again, I am disappointed by Microsoft and the negligence they display towards the desktop user community. Is it so hard to accept that there are different user groups which require different UIs? The "one fits all" simply does not work, at least not for me. 

Why don't you give your users a choice and not just take away well-loved functionality and replace it with yet another UI disaster and half the functionality gone?

The big updates usually offer a lot of good improvements, but they are always tainted by such easily avoidable failures.

Sunday, April 30, 2017 7:46 PM
  • I am having these same issues on a surface pro running windows 10. Is there any resolution after a year of working on this?

Tuesday, May 9, 2017 8:11 PM
  • Try adding a DWORD named FirstRun and set it to 1.  Seemed to work for me after moving the executable.
    Tuesday, June 27, 2017 9:47 PM
  • I have had this problem too. Wonder when a solution to it will be ready.
    Saturday, July 1, 2017 9:10 PM
  • "The Sticky Notes team has definitely heard this feedback, and we're working on a fix."

Well, Donovan... that was a lie! Your comment is 3 years old, and there still isn't a single fix for this ridiculously bad "update" to sticky notes.... I can't install 3rd party apps on my work PC, so I'm stuck with this garbage for the foreseeable future... Thanks for ruining a perfectly good feature, Donovan!
    Thursday, June 6, 2019 6:54 PM