none
DPM unable to connect to SQL Rreporting during install RRS feed

• Question

• I'm attempting to install System Center 2012 R2 Data Protection Manager on the same machine I installed SQL Server 2014.

I configured the default instance of SQL Server with the database engine and Reporting Services - Native, the database was created for reporting and the reporting website comes up. I configured TCP/IP for all enabled and listening, removed the dynamic port 0 from the network devices and specified 1433 under IPAll. The firewall is turned off, the user is a domain admin and sysadmin, the SQL Browser service is running.

When I attempt to install DPM and connect to the local instance it keeps giving me the same error no matter what I try. "DPM setup is unable to connect to the specified instance of SQL Server Reporting Service. (ID: 33431)"

Has anyone gotten this to work yet? I see that SC DPM 2012 r2 and sql 2014 are compatible.

Monday, December 29, 2014 8:19 PM

All replies

• Hi,

DPM 2012 R2 does not support using SQL 2014 for database.

Please see Preparing your environment for System Center 2012 R2 Data Protection Manager (DPM)

SQL Server Database

SQL Server 2012 with SP2 Standard or Enterprise 64-bit
    SQL Server 2012 with SP1 Standard or Enterprise 64-bit
    SQL Server 2012 Standard or Enterprise 64-bit
    SQL Server 2008 R2 with SP2 Standard or Enterprise 64-bit
    SQL Server 2008 R2 with SP1 2012 Standard or Enterprise 64-bit

However after you install KB3009516 Update Rollup 4 (UR4) DPM 2012 R2 can protect SQL 2014 databases.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Monday, December 29, 2014 8:54 PM
  • Well, maybe I was just hoping someone found a workaround. I was able to install SCOM on SQL Server 2014.
    Monday, December 29, 2014 9:33 PM
  • https://technet.microsoft.com/library/dn281933.aspx

This says otherwise....Experience agrees with you....

Monday, November 9, 2015 6:31 PM
  • Hi,

Yes, the TechNet page states the following, and DPM doesn't support slip-streaming UR's into setup code, so you can only upgrade SQL server 2012 to SQL 2014 once you have DPM 2012 R2 UR6 installed on SQL 2012.

<snip>
    SQL Server 2014 is only supported as a database server for installations of Data Protection Manager, and Service Manager with Update Rollup 6 applied.
    >snip<

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, November 10, 2015 12:09 AM