win vista black screen on login page RRS feed

• Question

•  

Okay, first off, I would like to say I am new to Microsoft forums. I have been on here for a several days now reading posts on how to fix my vista and its problems. I am posting here, though i am unsure if this is the right board. However, i saw other similiar threads like this one, but with some slight diffrences (like a cursor on the screen).

My computer was working fine until sept. 30th, 2008 where, after i downloaded ventrillo, i shut down my computer. The next morning when i turned on my computer, i left the room for a few minutes to let it load. When i came back, my screen was black and nothing was happening. I waited a few more minutes before i finally restarted the machine, where the same problem occured. the problem is that on load up, right after the screen where only the green bar shows loading, the screen goes light black color, where it would switch to a black color as if my monitor was off. There is no cursor and no status bar. I also attempted commands like ctrl alt delete, which were all in vain. I could press the num lock where the light would turn off and on the key board, but if i leave the computer running or press the sleep button, the computer will go into low power, where nothing will get it back up. Space bar, left clicking, enter, escape, the sleep button again, nothing would work.

I have read and done many of the suggesions on those other threads and i have had no success. Some are:

-system recover (to many diffrent dates)

-Safe mode (all types)

-Restarting the machine 1, 2, 3, and many times more.

-Last Known Good Configuration (advanced)

-I attempted to do commands but because nothing would appear at all, i could not stop some proccesses mentions on other threads.

-Even system restore (where it goes back to when i bought the machine a few months ago)

I am not super pro computer expert, so i do not know what information would be helpful.This is what i could gather about my computer:

Window Vista home prenium

Hp Pavilion a 1730n

4600+ amd Athlon tm 14x2 dual core processer

2048 mb memory

3200 Gb hard drive

Nvidia GeForce 6150 LE Graphics

I also have my files backed up.

I do not know what else to say, and after the complete system restore, i do not know what else to do. My friend says my harddrive is dead, but i have no idea what that means. any help would be appreciated please and thank you.

Thursday, October 9, 2008 12:04 AM

Answers

• Nguyen

if none of the built-in recovery options are working to fix the problem, the next step is to contact HP Support.

HP will have their own recovery options for restoring the system. These recovery options will vary with different manufacturers, so we cannot advise you on how to proceed.

Here is a link for the main HP Support website.

HP Customer Care 24/7 Online support for HP's Home and Home Office Products:
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/siteHome?lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us

Hope this helps.

If this post helps to resolve your issue, click the Mark as Answer button at the top of this message.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Windows Desktop Experience
    Thursday, October 9, 2008 6:27 PM