none
System State Backup - Server 2008 Variable Size Day to Day RRS feed

• Question

• I am running DPM 2007 with the latest patches. Backing up system states on Windows 2008 servers yields variable sized backups. I would like to know why system state  backups may be as much as 8 or 9GB for several backups then they drop to somewhere around 600MB to 1GB for a few backups and then go back up to XGB.

I see a disk image folder that houses a VHD but I am not sure if that is only for Hyper-V servers and if physical 2008 severs would be the same.

The bottom line question is what accounts for the variable backup size on a 2008 server? I can understand if the size is always X but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Tuesday, June 1, 2010 12:23 AM

Answers

• If a normal backup is that large I'd suggest a 600MB backup is one that is unsuccessful for some reason. As for the VHD thing, the backup on the server generates you a VHD file because they changed from BKF format for W2K8. So yes, it's the suffix for a Hyper-V disk but it's not a disk you're going to boot from. It is however one you can crack open in W7/W2K8 disk administrator, which is cool.
    "tdprogent" wrote in message news:ba3ebde6-10e8-4dfc-98ac-de12580ab9a3...

I am running DPM 2007 with the latest patches. Backing up system states on Windows 2008 servers yields variable sized backups. I would like to know why system state  backups may be as much as 8 or 9GB for several backups then they drop to somewhere around 600MB to 1GB for a few backups and then go back up to XGB.

I see a disk image folder that houses a VHD but I am not sure if that is only for Hyper-V servers and if physical 2008 severs would be the same.

The bottom line question is what accounts for the variable backup size on a 2008 server? I can understand if the size is always X but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Mark Arnold, Exchange MVP.
    Tuesday, June 1, 2010 5:07 PM

All replies

• If a normal backup is that large I'd suggest a 600MB backup is one that is unsuccessful for some reason. As for the VHD thing, the backup on the server generates you a VHD file because they changed from BKF format for W2K8. So yes, it's the suffix for a Hyper-V disk but it's not a disk you're going to boot from. It is however one you can crack open in W7/W2K8 disk administrator, which is cool.
    "tdprogent" wrote in message news:ba3ebde6-10e8-4dfc-98ac-de12580ab9a3...

I am running DPM 2007 with the latest patches. Backing up system states on Windows 2008 servers yields variable sized backups. I would like to know why system state  backups may be as much as 8 or 9GB for several backups then they drop to somewhere around 600MB to 1GB for a few backups and then go back up to XGB.

Mark Arnold, Exchange MVP.
    Tuesday, June 1, 2010 5:07 PM
  • Please re-open the thread if you are finding a different issue than what is mentioned above.

Thanks, Praveen D [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Tuesday, June 15, 2010 5:20 PM