Merge checkpoint to parent auto RRS feed

• Question

• Hello

we have some problem with Hyperv checkpoint.

veeam software create 50 checkpoint, and configuration of vm is crashing.

we need to merge all snapshot to parent disk manualy... 30 times ... per vm..

exist powershell script to do this task ?

tks

Friday, April 17, 2020 8:54 AM

All replies

• Have you tried searching for a solution before posting? I did. It took, oh, about two minutes to find ths:

https://www.vembu.com/blog/how-to-merge-hyper-v-checkpoints-with-hyper-v-manager-and-powershell/

--- Rich Matheisen MCSE&I, Exchange Ex-MVP (16 years)

Friday, April 17, 2020 2:58 PM
  • Hello

yes but it's not work, it said that it don't found files. I must merge manualy

Friday, April 17, 2020 3:05 PM
  • Did you run the first example of Powershell? That only looks at the current host. There's another bit of code below that that gets all the hosts and works on each one individually.

Friday, April 17, 2020 7:50 PM
  • Hello

Yes i try it, but it said :

Remove-VMSnapshot : « GDweb» n’a pas pu supprimer le point de contrôle.
    Impossible de supprimer le point de contrôle : Le fichier spécifié est introuvable. (0x80070002).
    L’ordinateur virtuel n’a pas pu générer l’arborescence de disques durs virtuels.
    Échec de l’obtention du parent du disque dur virtuel.
    Une erreur s’est produite car le point de contrôle est manquant.
    « GDweb » n’a pas pu supprimer le point de contrôle. (ID d’ordinateur virtuel 986FEABE-755F-49A4-86CE-7C9B13C02B36)
    Impossible de supprimer le point de contrôle: Le fichier spécifié est introuvable. (0x80070002). ID de point de
    contrôle B0FBF2AC-39B9-4D5D-B64C-628900969B15.
    L’ordinateur virtuel n’a pas pu générer l’arborescence de disques durs virtuels: «Le fichier spécifié est introuvable.
    » («0x80070002»).
    Échec de l’obtention du parent du disque dur virtuel («
    C:\ClusterStorage\volume1\gdweb\gdweb_disque_2_8D5ACA8F-6E91-4CBC-9190-9E4C88BC1E6A.avhdx»): «Le fichier spécifié est
    introuvable.» («0x80070002»).
    Un point de contrôle est manquant pour « GDweb ». Les chemins d’accès aux disques manquants se trouvaient auparavant à
    l’emplacement suivant : C:\ClusterStorage\volume1\gdweb\gdweb_disque_2_8D5ACA8F-6E91-4CBC-9190-9E4C88BC1E6A.avhdx. Le
    fichier spécifié est introuvable. (0x80070002) (ID d’ordinateur virtuel 986FEABE-755F-49A4-86CE-7C9B13C02B36.)
    Au caractère Ligne:1 : 39
    + Get-VM -name gdweb | Get-VMSnapshot | Remove-VMSnapshot
    +                                       ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        + CategoryInfo          : ObjectNotFound: (:) [Remove-VMSnapshot], VirtualizationException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : ObjectNotFound,Microsoft.HyperV.PowerShell.Commands.RemoveVMSnapshot

Monday, April 20, 2020 6:15 AM
  • If the file is missing I don't think I'm going to be able to help.

Can you delete that checkpoint using the GUI? Or is the "Delete" option missing from the checkpoint?

I think you need to move your question to a Hyper-V forum. Those folks will have a better understanding of the snapshot/checkpoint process.

Veeam should be asking Hyper-V to create and manage the snapshot, so I don't think it's a problem that they've created (unless the snapshot is somehow "owned" by their software).

Monday, April 20, 2020 3:19 PM
  • Hello

the problem is that the file exist, and i can merge them to parent file manually. :)

the delete option give the same error 

Tuesday, April 21, 2020 6:50 AM
  • Check the properties of each snapshot returned by the Get-VMSnapshot and see of you find the files in the paths you find there.

Perhaps the code behind the GUI is handling errors, which the simple pipeline you've been using doesn't.

https://community.spiceworks.com/topic/2207591-hyper-v-unable-to-delete-checkpoint-file-not-found

I still think that asking your question in a forum for Hyper-V would be helpful.

Tuesday, April 21, 2020 3:21 PM