When I edit a Word document within a SharePoint the table is positioned to the right RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

Can someone please tell me why, when I view or edit a MS Word document from within a SharePoint Document Library the table is positioned differently.

1) When I view the document within SharePoint everything looks OK:

2) When I edit the Word document from within the Internet Browser the table is positioned more to the right:

3) When I edit the Word document using the desktop version of Office 2016 everything looks OK:

When I have the document in the browser edit mode or desktop Office 2016 I have not changed anything. This happens with a few of my SharePoint documents in both the Portrait and Landscape layout.

I hope you can help
    Colin

Thursday, August 4, 2016 10:18 AM

Answers

• Hi Colin- not sure why it's happening, but add the ruler to your document and see what it shows. I'm guessing the margin is just set differently online for some reason. To correct the issue, change your library settings to open docs in client application and just don't edit in the browser.

cameron rautmann

Thursday, August 4, 2016 1:20 PM
  • Hi ceBlueSky,

If you open this in client application, does the issue occur?

I tested in office online and it worked fine.

I wonder if you have some custom formats which may cause the issue.

I also suggest you creating a new document without format to test.

Best Regards,

CY

TechNet Community Support
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, August 5, 2016 2:24 AM

All replies

• Hi Colin- not sure why it's happening, but add the ruler to your document and see what it shows. I'm guessing the margin is just set differently online for some reason. To correct the issue, change your library settings to open docs in client application and just don't edit in the browser.

cameron rautmann

Thursday, August 4, 2016 1:20 PM
  • Hi ceBlueSky,

If you open this in client application, does the issue occur?

I tested in office online and it worked fine.

I wonder if you have some custom formats which may cause the issue.

I also suggest you creating a new document without format to test.

Best Regards,

CY

TechNet Community Support
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, August 5, 2016 2:24 AM