none
updating admx

Question

• Hi,

I need to turn on Internet Explorer Enterprise Mode.

Found couple of good articles related to config and use of it. So I started with opening GPO console.

1. under needed GPO - Internet Explorer I didn't find Use the Enterprise Mode IE website list

Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Internet Explorer\Use the Enterprise Mode IE website list

2. I found the KB containing needed setting (should be latest available) (https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=40905&WT.mc_id=rss_alldownloads_all

This page provides the Group Policy Administrative Template files for Internet Explorer
    • Details
      Version:

File Name:

KB2841134\KB2841134.zip

Date Published:

8/9/2014

File Size:

1.9 MB

3. Before installing inetres.admx following instructions below I found an existing inetres.admx  file under c:\Windows\PolicyDefinition

THE QUESTION:

1. is there any chance that after UPDATING (in instructions below it says "update") previous inetres.admx I will loose some old setiings?

2. how can I check the version of existing admx vs a new one that I want to bring into the picture?

Thanks.

INSTALLATION instructions coming with Internet Explorer ADMX

Windows Server 2012 R2, Windows Server 2012, Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1, and Windows Server 2008 SP2:

1. Click the Download button on this page to start the download.
        2. Save the ZIP to a directory on your computer.
        3. From an elevated command prompt, use the following command to update the inetres.admx file:
          • copy /y %WINDIR%\KB2841134\inetres.admx %SYSTEMROOT%\PolicyDefinitions\inetres.admx
        4. From an elevated command prompt, use the following command to update the inetres.adml file for the targeted languages:
          • copy /y %WINDIR%\KB2841134\<LanguageCode>\inetres.adml %SYSTEMROOT%\Windows\PolicyDefinitions\<LanguageCode>\inetres.adml
          • In the previous command, replace <LanguageCode> with one of the supported languages, using the xx-XX value.
            • cs-CZ: Czech - Czech Republic
            • da-DK: Danish - Denmark
            • de-DE: German - Germany
            • el-GR: Greek - Greece
            • en-US: English - United States
            • es-ES: Spanish - Spain

--- When you hit a wrong note its the next note that makes it good or bad. --- Miles Davis

Tuesday, August 09, 2016 6:37 PM

Answers

• like I told above I didn't use the commands.

I just renamed inetres.admx and it's adml  to old and  paste new interes.admx with corresponding adml in Central Storage.

And yes the new settings - Enterprise Mode does appear now under Internet node of Windows Settings.

--- When you hit a wrong note its the next note that makes it good or bad. --- Miles Davis

Hi pob579

you've done the correct thing. backup (good) and place new (good).

ADMX/ADML files do not contain your GPO configurations - these are only template files which are used for showing the settings. the values (data) you have configured are not stored in these file. So, by updating the ADMX/ADML files, all you existing GPO configuration data remains unaltered.

ADMX/ADML files are not really versioned, so it's not simple to check the version to know which is older/newer.
    But... inetres is cumulative, in that it covers all versions of IE ever released up to the feature version of the file itself.

I often use Notepad++ as a text comparison tool to check the differences between "versions" to see what the differences are. The presence of newer settings is the best indicator I have found.

Don [doesn't work for MSFT, and they're probably glad about that ;]

• Edited by DonPick Monday, August 15, 2016 9:24 PM
    • Marked as answer by pob579 Monday, August 15, 2016 10:27 PM
    Monday, August 15, 2016 9:19 PM
  • inetres is cumulative (in my experience), but, not all ADMX/ADML are cumulative.

over the years, we have seen that some ADMX/ADML introduce "breaking" changes (eg a setting is removed, or, a setting is moved out of the existing ADMX/ADML into a new ADMX/ADML)

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3077013

• Marked as answer by pob579 Tuesday, August 16, 2016 7:23 PM
    Tuesday, August 16, 2016 9:23 AM

All replies

• No. There shouldn't be any issues. These files are there to show your GPMC what is available to be configured. Clients have their own local copy.

If my answer helped you, check out my blog: Deploy Happiness

Tuesday, August 09, 2016 6:51 PM
  • Joseph,

could you answer my question #2:

2. how can I check the version of existing admx vs a new one that I want to bring into the picture?

Tuesday, August 09, 2016 6:57 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your post.

1. under needed GPO - Internet Explorer I didn't find Use the Enterprise Mode IE website list

Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Internet Explorer\Use the Enterprise Mode IE website list

>>> Before you can use a site list with Enterprise Mode, you need to turn the functionality on and set up the system for centralized control.

For more information about how to turn on Enterprise Mode and use a site list, you could refer to the article below.

Turn On Enterprise Mode and use a site list

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/itpro/internet-explorer/ie11-deploy-guide/turn-on-enterprise-mode-and-use-a-site-list?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

2. how can I check the version of existing admx vs a new one that I want to bring into the picture

>>>In my opinion, there is no built-in way to check the version of the administrative template.

Best Regards,

Jay

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, August 10, 2016 7:11 AM
  • Jay,

this is the exact same article that I am using as a reference for Enterprise Mode deployment...

The issue is that there are no Use the Enterprise Mode IE website list

setting under Internet Explorer node. That is why I came to conclusion that ADMX is out of date.

And started the topic for updating ADMX.

I am not very comfortable with Joseph's answer:

> These files are there to show your GPMC what is available to be configured. Clients have their own local copy.

So, theoretically there is an option that new ADMX entries will override previous.

The other question is that in MS instructions it is clearly stated UPDATe:

From an elevated command prompt, use the following command to update the inetres.admx file...

Does update means Merge or replacement... The command is Copy:

From an elevated command prompt, use the following command to update the inetres.admx file:
    • copy /y %WINDIR%\KB2841134\inetres.admx %SYSTEMROOT%\PolicyDefinitions\inetres.admx

Wednesday, August 10, 2016 12:06 PM
  • I just renamed old admx and adml in case I will need to return to previous version and placed new admx and adml in appropriate locations.

so far so good ... now I have the required settings for Enterprise Mode configuration.

Thursday, August 11, 2016 12:44 AM
  • Hi,

Does update means Merge or replacement... The command is Copy:

From an elevated command prompt, use the following command to update the inetres.admx file:

Copy /y %WINDIR%\KB2841134\inetres.admx %SYSTEMROOT%\PolicyDefinitions\inetres.ADMX

>>>Did you download inetres.admx file in the path C:\Windows\KB2841134?(%WINDIR% stand for C:\windows)

If not, please type the actual path to copy.

Best Regards,

Jay

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, August 15, 2016 11:23 AM

I just renamed inetres.admx and it's adml  to old and  paste new interes.admx with corresponding adml in Central Storage.

And yes the new settings - Enterprise Mode does appear now under Internet node of Windows Settings.

Monday, August 15, 2016 7:26 PM

Hi pob579

you've done the correct thing. backup (good) and place new (good).

ADMX/ADML files do not contain your GPO configurations - these are only template files which are used for showing the settings. the values (data) you have configured are not stored in these file. So, by updating the ADMX/ADML files, all you existing GPO configuration data remains unaltered.

ADMX/ADML files are not really versioned, so it's not simple to check the version to know which is older/newer.
    But... inetres is cumulative, in that it covers all versions of IE ever released up to the feature version of the file itself.

I often use Notepad++ as a text comparison tool to check the differences between "versions" to see what the differences are. The presence of newer settings is the best indicator I have found.

• Edited by DonPick Monday, August 15, 2016 9:24 PM
    • Marked as answer by pob579 Monday, August 15, 2016 10:27 PM
    Monday, August 15, 2016 9:19 PM
  • > But... inetres is cumulative...

this what I wanted to here...

I just created another post about editing admx for comparison. But if new contains all previous settings + it's new this solve my doubt...

> ADMX/ADML files do not contain your GPO configurations - these are only template files which are used for showing the settings

I clearly understand this.

Thanks!

Monday, August 15, 2016 10:27 PM
  • inetres is cumulative (in my experience), but, not all ADMX/ADML are cumulative.

over the years, we have seen that some ADMX/ADML introduce "breaking" changes (eg a setting is removed, or, a setting is moved out of the existing ADMX/ADML into a new ADMX/ADML)

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3077013

• Marked as answer by pob579 Tuesday, August 16, 2016 7:23 PM
    Tuesday, August 16, 2016 9:23 AM