none
Creating Alerts on specific views RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there,

One of our users is trying to create an Alert. On the New Alert page, you have the option to select who receives the alerts, the change type for the alert and then to 'Send an Alert when...". We want to select a view for this list, but the view doesn't show up in the list of available views to choose from. Does anyone know a reason why this view wouldn't be available?

Thanks.

• Moved by Mike Walsh FIN Friday, April 29, 2011 7:12 AM admin q (From:SharePoint - General Question and Answers and Discussion (pre-SharePoint 2010))
    Thursday, April 28, 2011 5:59 PM

Answers

• Also if it is a custom data view in SharePoint Designer sometimes it will not appear in the creating alerts list.
    • Marked as answer by David HM Thursday, May 5, 2011 8:52 AM
    Thursday, April 28, 2011 6:30 PM
  • Mahesh-

The ability to setup alerts based off of a public view is also available in document libraries in addition to task/custom lists.

Thursday, April 28, 2011 6:33 PM

All replies

• It could happen if the View is a Personal View. You can set Alerts only for Public Views
    Cheers! Dilip
    Thursday, April 28, 2011 6:13 PM
  • Also if it is a custom data view in SharePoint Designer sometimes it will not appear in the creating alerts list.
  • The option to select the view for alert is available only for Task Lists. Personal views will not show up in the drop down.
    Regards, Mahesh
  • Mahesh-

The ability to setup alerts based off of a public view is also available in document libraries in addition to task/custom lists.

Thursday, April 28, 2011 6:33 PM
  • Hi,

what I experienced is that only those views will pop up for selection that have a FILTER function in place. If your view does not filter out specifics, it's the same as ALL ITEMS and will not show up.

I have an issue as I would like to create alerts if a specific field in the database/list has changed. Not all changes in other fields, only when e.g. the STATUS changes. I tried this by creating a specific view (only showing the STATUS field), but as it was without filter, it did not show up. Any help ??

Friday, April 20, 2012 12:33 PM
  • I encountered a similar issue.  I suspect that the constraint you are hitting is:

Alerts will not work for the views if there is a filtering based on System Generated / Calculated columns"

I've tested this out and it certainly seems to be the case - any views that use filtering on system-generated columns are not avilable when setting up alerts.   I found the above information on the following blog (not mine):

http://chanakyajayabalan.wordpress.com/2010/03/11/no-able-to-set-alerts-for-some-views-in-sharepoint-list/

Thursday, December 5, 2013 2:52 AM
  • Thanks,

This was the answer I was looking for. I'm on 2013 and in the view I had I was filtering based a field to only show [Today]-7. When that was part of the filter, I couldn't set the alert. When I removed that from the filtering, I'm able to set an alert.

Tuesday, May 19, 2015 6:49 PM
  • I found this via another blog and just thought I would share it here.

Very quirky, but I found that by creating a view from scratch, versus creating one based off an already existing view, was my issue.  So creating them from scratch is my recommendation.

I'm working in SharePoint 2013 - haven't tried this in older versions. (although I probably have in the past, and just don't recall ;)

Friday, March 31, 2017 2:48 PM